PDA

View Full Version : Newest Reef Fish

OOwl
10-25-2011, 12:47 PM
This is my newest reef fish, a surprise gift from a good friend. He's been doing really well and has grown in just the short amount of time I've had him. He's also lost all shyness he had in the beginning and will eat from my fingers and tap back on the glass at my finger there. In 20 years of having a reef tank, it's the first time I've ever had a Coral Beauty angelfish. This one is good as long as he's well fed. He does pester the corals a bit, so probably what is written about them being "iffy" in a full-blown reef is probably true. The corals in my tank pretty much grow back faster than he can nibble, though, so I have no concerns about that. I maintain a super-low-tech, 100%-aquacultured corals tank, so he can't eat anything that won't re-generate in the tank. I just wanted to share his picture. (He shares a tank with a starkii damsel and a ocellaris clown.)

pope
10-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Nice.

bigez
10-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Looks pretty good. I think it's hit or miss with dwarf angels on whether or not they'll eat corals. Mine hasn't touched a coral since the day he was introduced to my tank. I've also heard of some that go ballistic and eat everything they can find overnight.

Haiven
10-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Marci, he's gorgeous! In fact, he's much prettier than my angelfish!

Just_Jen
10-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Gorgeous! We kept a couple of dwarf angels in our 150g reef when I was a kid, and the coral beauty was always my favorite fish. Good luck with him!

OOwl
10-25-2011, 01:21 PM
I've kept Flame, Cherub, Elbi, and African Flameback angels in years past and never had one of those nip my corals, but, for some reason, this guy does. I know people that have kept Coral Beauties with zero issues, so it's just this individual. He just developed a taste for them somewhere. I wouldn't want him in a tank of SPSs, though. :)

Thanks, ya'll. I like the body shape of this type of dwarf angel, too. Nancy, you need a SW tank and SW angels. Wish they bred as readily in captivity. :)

kleankord
10-25-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm keeping an Elibi right now and he's so gorgeous, I just can't get my zoas to fully open anymore :/ and I'm curious what my corals would look like without him harassing them.

satyra
10-25-2011, 02:54 PM
awww cute! what a good friend too, great gift! do you have any more pics of your tank? ive never seen your tank before, except the one(i think) pic in your album.

ive got a coral beauty in my smaller tank with my tiny little frags, so far i have not seen him pick on anything, not even the soft corals. he looked really good at the lfs when he came in, but his color has really come out since he settled into the tank. he does rule the tank though, although ive never seen him actually try to bite any of the other fish. im really glad i got him, i wanted a flame, but the husband wanted the coral beauty.

Somethingsfishy
10-25-2011, 02:56 PM
He is so pretty

KingBichir
10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
very pretty fish. i miss my ebili, i think the next one i get is a pygmy angelfish.

Mwil3
11-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Love the coral beauties. He's (or she's) a cutey! :)

Freshwater fan
11-07-2011, 10:35 AM
The Coral Beauty is one of the most difficult subjects to photograph in the wild among the saltwater angels. They're very coy and stay just out of reach of my portrait lens. Others are hams, but not this one.