PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about moving tanks

bigtoga
09-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Hello everyone - looks like a great forum here :)

I'd like to get started again with a saltwater tank but the thing is that we're planning on moving within about one year. In the next house I'd like to have/consider a built-in tank in the wall.

So I have the itch now to get a tank. I ultimately want a heavy coral tank with small fish. I'm wondering if I'm just being impatient if I buy now.

The move will be within 10 miles if that helps. I'm not averse to hiring some help for the tank move.

What do you guys suggest - buy a tank now, build the ecosystem with live rock and live sand, and then transfer to the new tank? Or wait?

Thanks!

jnikl
09-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Maybe just do a small tank now, then do your Large setup when you get to the new house.

WRabbit
09-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Go for it and don't look back! I say start a tank now and you'll be that much ahead when you move.

Jim

greeneyed
09-04-2011, 02:34 PM
I would do a smallish tank now. Start growing your coral colonies. That way when it is time to move, you can just move the small tank. Without being in such a rush to get the bigger tank set up and ready.
Depending on how complete a system you are looking for, I know Tony has a Red Sea tank that is at a good price.

bigtoga
09-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Wow, thanks for the super fast replies! I like the idea. I want a large tank - large, to me, is 150g+ - in the end so maybe I'll get a smaller tank (55-100) now and just make it FOWLR.

I looked at Tony's system and honestly, I just don't know enough yet to know what to buy. I know volume that I want but I know nothing else!

Badjuujuu
09-05-2011, 02:04 AM
You could try a nano just to get your feet wet!

bigtoga
09-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Wife and I talked last night and, given the economy's uncertainty, we decided not to "upgrade" houses next year. That means that I went to three aquarium stores today and finally bought my 90g tank! It will be delivered the week of Sept 27. Excited :)

Mwil3
09-07-2011, 09:28 PM
That is exciting. Take your time and try not to rush things (that's a mistake alot of us make) :)

Do you know what you are planning on keeping? What equipment are you going to be using? You do that pics are expected right?

Luiz
09-07-2011, 09:42 PM
The biggest tank you can buy the better to control, the small tank is hard to keep in balance. If you make a mistake, like so much food, the effect is pretty fast because the volume of water is so small. The changes are really fast.

My just 2 cents. Good luck.

bigtoga
09-08-2011, 05:45 PM
That is exciting. Take your time and try not to rush things (that's a mistake alot of us make) :)

Do you know what you are planning on keeping? What equipment are you going to be using? You do that pics are expected right?I'll do pics for sure! Right now, all I remember is two Unique Prism AC LED units and a 90g tank. That accounted for most of my budget :)

After thinking more about it, I want to do a reef tank.

The biggest tank you can buy the better to control, the small tank is hard to keep in balance. If you make a mistake, like so much food, the effect is pretty fast because the volume of water is so small. The changes are really fast.

My just 2 cents. Good luck.yes, I remember. I had a 55g and am upgrading to a 90g. I wanted a bigger tank but space, space, space...

greeneyed
09-08-2011, 06:12 PM
While size does matter, it is harder to keep parameters in check on larger tanks.
What I am referring to is Ca, Alk, MG.
On a large tank it is almost impossible to maintain these w/o dosing, whereas a smaller tank it can be controlled easier with water changes.

Super Fish
09-08-2011, 08:51 PM
get a small tank first and that would make it much easier to move once you move and you get settled in then thats when u should really get a bigger tank to do your salt water .. That would make a big difference in your pocket and save a few extra $ in your pocket as well.

bigtoga
10-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Wife and I talked last night and, given the economy's uncertainty, we decided not to "upgrade" houses next year. That means that I went to three aquarium stores today and finally bought my 90g tank! It will be delivered the week of Sept 27. Excited :)

Well, well, well.... the wife and I... well, given the current mortgage rates of 4% and lower, we decided to move!

But we'd already bought our tank and sized it for a single specific spot in the current house. The problem is that the current house is much smaller than the (hopefully it becomes my) new house - it has a 4 foot tank on a 7-foot wall but the new house has a 12-foot wall.

I dropped by the store today and asked if they could quote me on an "upgrade". The good news, I think, is that we haven't had the tank installed yet so there's still options in abundance (including us not getting a house we like, I guess).

Anyway, just wanted to update!