PDA

View Full Version : Too far gone for tang?

satyra
08-18-2011, 06:37 PM
So, we know someone who has a blue tang in their tank. apparently its been going on for a while, they have a nitrate prob for a while, and little by little its been eating their blue tang up (im guessing this is the prob). They thought he was just scratching himself on the rocks, but i do not believe this is the case at all. There's a few adult damsels, i think a lemonpeel angel, and an anenome in there as well that all look perfectly normal. Pretty much this blue tang has pink "sores" on its body, to me it looks kinda like its rotting i guess. they said one of the sores near its head is turning more of a red color now.

Guess the big Q here is, do you guys think if this fish was acclimated into a QT tank with good stable water conditions do you think it could recover? Would any meds help it? Ive seen him once within the last week, and the tang looks pretty dang terrible :(

greeneyed
08-18-2011, 07:05 PM
It's possible.

Why don't "this person" just do a couple of big water changes a week to get nitrates down?

satyra
08-18-2011, 07:09 PM
The tank is at a school and they only do once a month cleanings. i also offered to do an extra partial free of charge for them....but in the long run idk if this prob will ever be fully fixed.

Joe Reborn
08-18-2011, 08:21 PM
There is a Product called ALL GONE that you could use to soak up the Trates. IMO you need to get to the source of the issue which is more than likely too much feeding and not enough WC. Also more than likely skimped on the skimmer.

satyra
08-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Yea they have a skimmer but I think they let the water drop too low and it doesn't work all the time. Last time I was there I stressed to them that they ned to make sure the skimmer is always able to work and not to overfeed...but I'm not there all the time to make sure that happens :(

Ill check out that product, will it be dangerous to their anenome? Anything you would suggest to help heal up the tang if I put him in a qt tank at my house?

greeneyed
08-18-2011, 10:12 PM
If there is that much evaporation, there are major swings in salinity.
Honestly if they can't/won't take proper care of the tank, they shouldn't have it.
A tank at school can be a tremendous teaching tool, when properly maintained and thriving.
When surviving, they are only teaching neglect and not worry about the outcome.

Just mho

OOwl
08-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Is it like "hole in the head/lateral line" disease? If so, you probably ought to take him out of the tank and treat him in QT. They can recover from that but it sometimes leaves scars. I've heard of people using medicated food (Metro, as I recall). Nothing more sad than a otherwise gorgeous saltwater fish with HITH disease. Hope you can help him.

satyra
08-18-2011, 10:51 PM
You know I'm not sure if it's hole in head cause it's not just along the lateral line, it's down on the sides too...our maybe it could be an extreme case maybe?

I do agree these tanks can be an excellent tool for the kids, that's why I'm trying to help them even when it's gonna end up costing me some $$ out of my own pocket. They do not have the whole top covered so evaporation is def an issue, I'm bringing them some stuff to cover the rest of the canopies, and I'm looking around for a lg water jug that I can bring them ro water in so they can use that instead of dechlorinated tap to top off the tank in between water changes...i think even those small changes will help, but will it be soon enough to save the tang, that's what I'm wondering.

And you know, the teachers all seem like nice people, I think it's more of an "i don't know" thing than an "i don't care" thing. Either way I'm gonna be working with them to improve that tank...they have other tanks that are well cared for and they all look healthy all the time, but those are fw tanks so I think it's the sw thing and extra equipment/maintenance that they don't know just yet

bigez
08-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Lots of questions/ideas.
Do they run carbon in their tank? If they aren't rinsing the fines out of the activated carbon well enough it could be a contributing factor to the HLLE you're seeing.

The tank sounds like it needs some major help/ educating the keepers of the tank on good practices.

Does the tank have a sump? You could possibly talk them into buying an auto top off kit from Bulk Reef Supply. the one I use only cost me 40 bucks and it saves me a lot of time and hassle of lugging around top off water every day.

If they're using dechlorinated tap water they're likely introducing a lot of excess ammonia. Most municipalities like to add ammonia to the water in drought conditions as an extra guard against bacterial growth. Test your tap water ours was at 2ppm a couple days ago.

How big is the tank? inhabitants? Corals? Lights? etc. etc.

Lets get this thing figured out without too much expense on your part. :D

satyra
08-23-2011, 02:51 PM
There is a little carbon, but maybe not enough. they are just running a HOB filter with the cartridges, those are being rinsed off pretty well before they are run in the filter. think i should add some more?

unfortunately they do not have a sump. ill see if somehow i can convince them they could really use a good one, they have plenty of room in the stand for a sump.

Did you really get an auto top off for only $40? Im gonna go check that site out again and see if i can get ahold of one, i thought they were way more than that.

the tank is a 75gal, theres the blue tang, a lemonpeel angel, and a few damsels in there, and one white anenome. I havent taken a good look at their lighting but im sure the bulbs might need to be replaced soon.

when i have tested the tap, i regularly see ours run around 3ppm! we have awful tap down here so i will be bringing some RO with us, we will be back there this week actually. Ill also be installing the plastic covers that go on the back of the canopies as well as doing a partial water change on that tank :D hopefully the tang doesnt look worse...

bigez
08-23-2011, 03:08 PM
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/dosing-pumps-and-auto-top-off-systems/top-it-off-kit-premium.html

It's a kit, but if you have a maxi-jet or an aqualifter and an extra extension cord hanging around you have a cheap auto top off. It took me all of 15 minutes to assemble and install. It works great and does exactly what you need it to without any extra frills or bells and whistles.

How large is the blue tang? For a 75 gallon he's going to quickly outgrow that tank if he hasn't already. They're finicky fish and get diseases way easier than other tangs in my opinion (especially if they're getting to the point where they're stressed about their environment). If it's a common condy anemone they can survive pretty well by regular feedings, but extra light never hurt anyone lol.

If there's any other problems and they don't want to change much of the system all I can really recommend is regular 10-20% water changes. With little or no corals there's not much that's going to go wrong aside from slowly climbing nitrates. If you want try and get them some simple hardy corals like mushrooms or trash palys or some simple zoanthid. They're excellent water quality indicators, they add another dimension of life to the tank and they don't need much light. If you notice, or anyone else for that matter, notice that they're closed up it's time to start testing the water.

satyra
08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Ahh ok thanks for the link! Ill show it to them when we go up there this week and see what they say :D

im not great at guessing sizes, but im guessing that tang is about 5-6in? i agree with you on the diseases part, ive seen a few other tangs too in tanks with nitrates that had the same prob, yet everything else in the tank looked normal.

ldreefer
09-17-2011, 08:06 PM
If he has a sore on top of his head along with the rest of the sores, it kind of sounds like Hole In The Head to me maybe. Tell him to find someone on DFWMAS that can take him and bring him back to good health. I would hate to see that beautiful of a fish die due to inability to take watch after the tank.