PDA

View Full Version : Golden Mystery snail won't move an inch!

Squirrel
08-16-2011, 05:15 PM
So I was at a Petsmart with couple bucks about 4-5 days ago and bought a Golden Mystery Snail to decorate my goldfish tank. It is alive because it pokes a bit out of it's shell often, but hasn't moved from its spot. I even dropped an alge disc next to it to entice it out, but the disk just sat there for hours until the goldies ate it. Did I get a bad snail...? Do goldfish pick on them...? Why won't he move, dern it??

Haiven
08-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Goldfish eat snails. I don't know if they're big enough to eat that one, but their presence is probably stressing the snail. I put a mystery snail in a tank that had loaches in it. He was too big for them to eat, but he stayed in his shell until I moved him to another tank.

Squirrel
08-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Ok, good to know. :p The snail's shell is about the same size as the smaller fish's (the pearlscale's) entire body; perhaps an inch. I suppose I'll take this one back, then-- do you think it would be okay if I got a bigger one, or should I forego snails in this tank altogether?

Haiven
08-17-2011, 07:44 AM
I wish I could advise you, but I don't really know. I was just telling what happened in my tank.

Anyone else want to advise?

robert1
08-17-2011, 08:40 AM
We have a Golden mystery snail in our daughters 90 and it moves around fine. is it on the bottom or on the sides of the tank? are you sure its alive?

Erniec
08-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Snails need to be in a tank with smaller fish that will not pick on them, there antenas look like small worms to some fish and some fish just plain pick on them , My guppies use to pick on them so much that they would not come out at all, then in other tanks the guppies where fine. It all depends on the fish and size of tank. to tell if alive just pick it up and smell it , they smell nasty when they die or get a tupperware put like an 1/8 inch of tank water in it put snail in it and give about an HR and see if it comes out, they breath regular air

Hope that helps

Squirrel
08-17-2011, 01:06 PM
It is alive, it will poke its antennae out of the shell but sucks back in whenever a fish swims within 6 inches of it. Hm... I'll see if an exchange works with a bigger one and if not I'll just go without. Darn. I've always wanted a snail.:hehe:

Craydaddy
08-21-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm having the same problem, but all I have are swordtails, my one red baby was nipping at it :(