PDA

View Full Version : Really?? Calm down damsels!

satyra
07-08-2011, 07:43 PM
I guess once they get going, theres no stopping them! this is the 4th batch of eggs in only 3-4 weeks :eek: they like to lay them in the same spot everytime.

http://pics.boasbysatyra.com/assets/galleries/53/DSC03325.JPG

Typical Tony
07-08-2011, 07:49 PM
any survived from the last couple of batches?

greeneyed
07-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Nothing like free fish food :D

satyra
07-09-2011, 08:38 AM
i havent even tried to keep them alive yet. i couldnt find live paramecium or rotifers locally, and havent even had a chance yet to do any research on growing my own food for the larvae :( we have found out that once the eggs have eyes, they are gone by the next day, been taking them about 4-5 days to have eyes. we have not been able to catch the larvae releasing themselves from the cave either, after we see the eyes, they are completely gone the next morning. one of these days though.....

niko
07-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Paramecium is easy to grow. Too easy. You use aquarium water (preferably collected from around fine leafed plants) and a 1/4" square piece of ripe banana peel. Put these 2 in a jar at about 75-85 degrees and wait 2 days.

You need to know how the Paremecium look. They are tiny. Best way to describe them - they look like fine salt deposit on the glass. Like white dust. If you look closely you will see them moving. But they stay in one area only and do not spread around so from far away they look like a cluster of white dust or salt deposit.

The culture lasts about 4 days and needs to be restarted in another jar on day 2 so you always have a batch ready to go. Also after about 4 times restarting from the original culture they inbreed and you get a batch with much less Parameciums. At that point you need to start with fresh aquarium water + banana peel again.

Simple, done it in the early 80's many times.

--Nikolay

That's all there is to it.

satyra
07-09-2011, 11:30 AM
thanks for that info, its very helpful! by aquarium water, do you mean from my SW or my FW tanks? There are no plants in my SW but we have tons and tons of diff plants in my FW tanks.

alta678
07-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I would say fresh. I don't think Niko has ever done salt.

niko
07-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Freshwater - that's where Paramecium live. But I don't quite understood why a SW fish would be fed a FW animal. Just wrote you what I know about breeding the little things.

--Nikolay

satyra
07-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Yea that sounds strange to me too lol. Ill def be trying that out, thanks for the info! I think we even have bananas right now too :D

Oh btw, when i put some of those guys in the tank for the baby damsels to eat, how long are they gonna stay alive in the SW tank?

niko
07-09-2011, 04:35 PM
I have no idea. The Paramecium is a single single cell organism. Meaning that it probably has little defense against salt invading it's 1 cell body.

My guess is they will die immediately. Where did you hear using them to feed SW fish? Maybe there is something that makes them a good choice.

satyra
07-09-2011, 06:38 PM
i found that while doing a google search for breeding damsels, it was one of the suggestions besides rotifers. i just wanted to try both and see which one might give me better luck raising the larvae :confuzeld:

Carg
07-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Maybe you should get your fish cable...or something else to distract them from 'gettin it on'