PDA

View Full Version : I just received Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi in the mail today

Born of Water
07-08-2011, 11:50 AM
These little fish I think are just amazing, I have been looking for them for a while now, and received 20 little fry in the mail today from a friend of mine. The fry are less then an inch and haven't begin to color yet but I am adding a picture of what they will look like when mature. This is my first african adventure, after Kribs. If anyone happens to have hints of tricks or knows anything about this species they can share Please let me know.

mature male.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/Born-of-Water/pseudocrenilabrus_nicholsi.jpg

I hope to get them to spawn and produce, and share them sometime in the future.
The fry were shipped amazingly! and NO DOA's! I was very surprised as i usually have one or two DOA.

Flapjack
07-08-2011, 11:52 AM
:drool2: What a Beauty! Congrats dude! I read females get 2.5 inches and males get 3.4 maximum.

biggin
07-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Keeps them in big groups 3-5 females for a male.... pairs do not seems to work well and it works a lot better if you remove the females when they are holding.... .

fishman76092
07-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Fantastic fish! Bred them in the late 80's when they were called Ps. sp Zaire. Every time I have a smaller tank for them, they arent available. Good luck with them. They breed easily but they dont have that many fry at a time.

I would recommend keeping the females away from the males until they are 2" or so. They breed so small and they will stop growing for the most part after they start breeding. I made the mistake of letting them breed at 1-1.25" and only could get a handful of fry out of each female.

Born of Water
07-09-2011, 06:53 PM
I have no idea how to tell them apart at this stage, but I know that there are three that chase each other, like thumb nail size fry chasing each other, I will probably have to set up two more tanks, one for the females(when i know which they are) and one for another colony, from what info everyone has given me, I will need a nursery tank, and a conditioning tank for the females after they spit. So if I end up with more then I really need, some should come available fairly quickly. at what size will I be able to tell them apart? I really dont want to stunt the females, thanks for the info!

biggin
07-09-2011, 09:50 PM
I have no idea how to tell them apart at this stage, but I know that there are three that chase each other, like thumb nail size fry chasing each other, I will probably have to set up two more tanks, one for the females(when i know which they are) and one for another colony, from what info everyone has given me, I will need a nursery tyank, and a conditioning tank for the females after they spit. So if I end up with more then I really need, some should come available fairly quickly. at what size will I be able to tell them apart? I really dont want to stunt the females, thanks for the info!

By. 75-1" for sure... the males are just really rough on the females... I never thought that my females were stunted... they were 1ish inches vs the male a solid 2.5"... very well could have been... I got 4-5 spawns before the male killed 2 females.....

Born of Water
07-09-2011, 10:53 PM
wow those males really are mean, I hope to have a harem large enough and two males and some dithers. to spread the aggression. I figure if I have mostly females, he wont be able to stay hooked to one for too long, as well as dithers, should be ok.

xrickyhoangx
07-11-2011, 12:22 PM
wow amazing looking fish there. :D

cichlidtim
07-11-2011, 04:14 PM
nice fish lemme know if u end up with to many males ill take some off of ya if u do and then ill buy some females from your fry check with deadman he might know about them he knows alot about rares//// breeding tips when mature bump water changes up to 2 a week and feed heavy on protien(bloodworms or a 47%protien food and feed heavy that should initiate some spawning oh and temp needs to be 80-82 f.

Born of Water
07-11-2011, 05:12 PM
awesome ! thanks for the info everyone, I probably have a male or two, im sure probably females too! I also know the source who still has a bunch of fry available.