PDA

View Full Version : Best PC combo for a nano reef

thebassepidemic
04-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I recently got a biocube 14 and was wondering what is the best power compact light combos for a small reef tank?

OOwl
04-12-2011, 07:36 AM
I've never had a biocube, so you might want to check some of the larger SW forums to see what people use in those, but I will suggest that the new LEDs for reefs are amazing. I have multiple stunners on mine (affordable and BRIGHT!). I was just using LEDs to supplement my PC lighting but ended up replacing the PCs as they required new bulbs (I could buy an entire strip of LED stunners for the price of ONE replacement PC bulb). The corals have never been happier and grown more quickly. And the almost zero heat from the LEDs is going to be great this summer.
Good luck!

thebassepidemic
04-12-2011, 09:09 AM
For right now i don't want to spend anything on it right away, I'll just head up to The True Percula after work and bs around there and see what they say.

Typical Tony
04-12-2011, 09:35 AM
When I had mine, I did 50/50 and an actinic. I got my bulbs from aquatraders, those don't last that long, maybe 6 months at the most. I was able to grow a variety of softies, no sps tho. If you really want some good PC bulbs, try nanotuners.com. If you really have the money, gut the hood and retrofit it with some leds. Also with those biocube hoods, you might also want to replace the stock fans, those get very noisy after awhile and aren't as efficient in doing their job.

thebassepidemic
04-12-2011, 10:00 AM
I have a new 50/50 in there now and I guess I'll be the actinic tonight. I'm guessing the actinic needs to run all the time? When I turn off both switches the fans turn off, does that mean the filter has stoped as well?

dcacjc
04-12-2011, 12:03 PM
I totally agree with Marci!!!

Typical Tony
04-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I have a new 50/50 in there now and I guess I'll be the actinic tonight. I'm guessing the actinic needs to run all the time? When I turn off both switches the fans turn off, does that mean the filter has stoped as well?

i let the actinic run 30 mins before and after turning on the 50/50. Whenever the 50/50 is running is when the fan should come on. The filter is powered by the pump in the 3rd chamber, that should constantly be running. The moonlight should be on whenever the mainlights are off. Get a timer power center, it will help out a lot.

thebassepidemic
04-12-2011, 12:10 PM
So I don't need a "night" light on it?

Typical Tony
04-12-2011, 12:13 PM
So I don't need a "night" light on it?

There should be 2 night lights included in the hood, does yours not come with them?

thebassepidemic
04-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Yes it has two spots for the PC bulbs... I guess thy means I need to run the actinic all night?