PDA

View Full Version : Inching towards sw

MavJac
04-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Hello,

This is my first post here... I have found a lot of helpful information so far just browsing, thought I would make the big leap to post...

I currently have a 60g fw tank with an assortment of African Cichlids. I am planning on parting out everything in the tank and then turning into a sw fish only tank.

I have a fluval 305 and am wondering if I will need to purchase any additional equipment other than a powerhead or two.

Will get live sand/rock once everything else has been removed.

Also, will I still need to wait for it to cycle as a sw tank?

Thanks

thebassepidemic
04-11-2011, 10:35 AM
I just recently set up my first sw tank and it is well worth it. We find our selfs just staring at live rock right now since there is nothing in it lol.. A305 will may not be enough filtration for a sw and you'll need to get a good light if you plan on doing a reef tank. The tank will have to cycle but live sand and rock will cycle a little faster than a tank with out. Like I said though I just setup my first reef tank and don't really know all the bells and whistles yet, but I know there is plenty of peps on here that know all about it. Goo luck on it though hope it works out for ya

Typical Tony
04-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Ditch the 305 and get a sump. You would also need a protein skimmer, lighting isn't as important since you are only doing fish only.

Yes you would have to start the cycling process all over if you want to convert it to sw, live rock and live sand will help but be patient.

Here are some good basic readings you will need to familiarize yourself with.

http://www.dfwfishbox.com/forums/production/showthread.php?t=18082

Whatever you do, do not rush into it... take your time, research and read up on everything you can. Go to lfs or sw meets and ask all the experts as much as you can. Once you think you got the hang of it, start it up slowly... In sw you can never know enough, you will continue to learn new things everyday. Or yea prepare to see your bank account wither away.... :D

OOwl
04-11-2011, 11:23 AM
If it's your first SW tank and you're not that familiar with sumps, return pumps, skimmer setup and adjustment, etc, I recommend you go see a few systems first until you truly understand them to avoid frustration (and, way back when I did it, TEARS). It always seems so easy to those that have been doing it for years, but to a newcomer, this equipment can be very confusing.

You can absolutely set up a simple SW FO tank with a canister filter and basic other equipment without going to a lot of expense. I'd drop a chemical resin type media (such as Chemi-Pure) in that canister, along with some bio-media (Eheim Efisubstrat Pro is EXCELLENT). The Live Rock will really help with bio-filtration and quick cycling, too.

If you've used crushed coral type substrate for your African tank, you can just leave that in there for your SW FO tank.

Looking forward to the evolution of your tank. Welcome to the SW side of the hobby, and welcome here on FB, too.

MavJac
04-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. Not interested in doing a sump just yet.

I tried a sw tank about 5 years ago and both blue tang's died... I didn't let the tank cycle long enough is my guess.

I've seen a few hang off the side type protein skimmers, I'm going to check out petsmart and see what they have.

It will probably take a few weeks before I get my Cichlids and other fw stuff sold.

I have the fluval 305 and two hang on the back filters.. I always do overkill on the filtration at about 3X's what the box says it is meant for.

Also, I saw on another post where they told someone to get rid of their bubble wand... air movement not needed as much in sw tank?

Thanks again for your replies and info. Will post pics once the process gets started.

OOwl
04-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Sounds like a good starter tank. All of the tangs are kind of delicate. Use live rock for a few weeks, then add a hearty fish first (marine bettas are gorgeous and VERY hearty). You can always do tangs later, after the system matures and ages a bit (they need the algae growth to munch on anyway).

Not much in the way of quality skimmers at Petsmart. In Tarrant County, try The Fish Place (who often have used CPR Bak-Paks) or True Percula (pricey).

Nothing wrong with a bubble wand except in the SW tank the spray they cause dries into salt residue you are constantly having to clean off (warm vinegar works great for that, btw).

Good luck.

mtraylor
04-11-2011, 03:33 PM
If you are going to a reef aquarium, I would like to know the answers to several questions to give you a more precise reccomendation on what you would need. I see you dont want to go the sump route. So.....

1. How many fish do you want in your aquarium?
2. What kind of fish do you want?
3. Do you plan on doing live rock and sand in your display?

MavJac
04-11-2011, 08:21 PM
1. How many fish do you want in your aquarium?
2. What kind of fish do you want?
3. Do you plan on doing live rock and sand in your display?

Maybe 4 or 5 fish, a mix of clowns and tangs. Plan on having live sand and a little live rock.

This is basically a trial run... Want to get this 60 gallon going sw for a year and then get a 200g and go all out on. This is why I basically want fish only so I am not having to move everything.

Thanks for your info.

MavJac
04-17-2011, 09:23 AM
This thread can be closed. I came across a good deal on a new 125 gallon tank... Just put my 55 gallon on craigslist.

Going to create my dream Cichlid tank. This is the biggest tank I've ever had.

FlamandalayBay
04-17-2011, 10:31 AM
So before the thread is closed why not tell us what your "dream cichlid tank" is??? :hehe: Come on....make us drool lol. I too have a 125 and set it as a plant tank with tetras n angels etc but now I am about to transplant all that to another tank and make this a Central American type tank...

MavJac
04-17-2011, 01:21 PM
So before the thread is closed why not tell us what your "dream cichlid tank" is??? :hehe: Come on....make us drool lol. I too have a 125 and set it as a plant tank with tetras n angels etc but now I am about to transplant all that to another tank and make this a Central American type tank...

HAHA... Well... First it is a dream tank because it's much bigger than anything I have had... And well, plenty of room to have fun with.

To give you an idea... I'm wanting something like this... YouTube - 55 Gallon Turtle Tank / Community Tank / Cichlid Tank