PDA

View Full Version : Joined the darkside today for cheap off craigslist

REID429
03-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Well I was looking on Craigslist and stumbled upon a 20 gallon oceanic with black stand;live black sand, 15lbs live rock with purple all over some pieces,heater,Bio wheel 350,a cheap top fin filter,lid and t8 light,some frozen foods,some Kent's liquid reef food and a bubbler . Also came with a blue damsel, small blue leg crab and a white star fish smaller than a dime. I even got the water containers for water change and was able to drain tank myself and keep all the water. All this for $30
Not too bad of a deal.
My only issue right now is the biowheel is loud and sounds like its grinding or something. I'm thinking the impelled is shot as I tried cleaning it and nothing happened. Will have pics later on once the sand settles and tank clears up but I couldn't pass up that deal.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w121/psu54321/2011-03-01212045.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w121/psu54321/2011-03-01211949.jpghttp://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w121/psu54321/2011-03-01212017.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w121/psu54321/2011-03-01212142.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w121/psu54321/2011-03-01212000.jpg

jello
03-01-2011, 11:39 AM
welcome to the dark side. that little star fish is probably an astrea(sp) star, they are usually a problem maker and will eat zoa. most just toss them out or put them in the sump. would love to see some pics though, got a great deal.

Mwil3
03-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Awesome deal. Be careful, it's very addictive.

REID429
03-01-2011, 11:52 AM
thanks. I have no clue how to keep a salt tank whatsoever. I simply bought it cause it was just too cheap to pass up and if I fail it will be a nice freshwater tank to have. I don't want to spend a fortune. Just want to try an keep this running for a bit and see how things go. PETCO has a deal on t5 ho lighting so I will Prolly buy the 2 bulb light fixture for this or should I get something else. I wouldn't mind having something nice in there though. This biowheel has so much freaking flow but I'm assuming I will need a koralia right?

Erniec
03-01-2011, 11:53 AM
if you think it is a noisy impeller, have you tried putting vaseline on the shaft, that is how I made mine stop making noise when I had a 400 HOB, I kept putting vaseline on it till it stopped making noise, don't know if you can do this on a SW tank

REID429
03-01-2011, 11:55 AM
if you think it is a noisy impeller, have you tried putting vaseline on the shaft, that is how I made mine stop making noise when I had a 400 HOB, I kept putting vaseline on it till it stopped making noise, don't know if you can do this on a SW tank
Vaseline on the shaft LOL. I might have to try that lol

OOwl
03-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Congrats. That's a really good deal. Enjoy it for a while and see if the salt-bug bites you (if so, there goes your good deal roflmao). If not, you can part it all out for more than you have in it. I'd ditch the power filter and put a small hang-on skimmer on it and a powerhead to give it flow around the live rock. Good luck.

scooter
03-01-2011, 12:40 PM
That is a great deal.....now you get to go broke stocking it! Have fun with your new adventure!

Mwil3
03-01-2011, 02:02 PM
x2 for the skimmer. (you could keep the hob as a fuge)

Typical Tony
03-01-2011, 02:25 PM
seems like the person before had it as a fowlr tank, unless you want to go reef then i wouldn't bother getting a skimmer. Just keep up with the top off and w/c and it should be an awesome little tank. A small powerhead wouldn't hurt either.

pope
03-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Vaseline on the shaft is always a fine idea. If you decide to go reef, you know where the pope lives, come pick up "the pope's softie starter pack".

REID429
03-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Vaseline on the shaft is always a fine idea. If you decide to go reef, you know where the pope lives, come pick up "the pope's softie starter pack".
Definitely. Will be going reef in this oil tank so I will be heading that way once I get my light and stuff. Hopefully soon. I'm headed to get some water now. It needs about 5 gallons an then ill take a few pics

REID429
03-01-2011, 09:37 PM
pics added.hopefully I can add some things at the swap meet maybe

Typical Tony
03-01-2011, 09:46 PM
take out that bubble wand, not needed.

REID429
03-01-2011, 10:03 PM
take out that bubble wand, not needed.
LOL took it out right after taking the pics

REID429 added 1 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

Will a dual bulb acitnic and 10k light fixture work great for sorties and your basic corals. 24" is what I need or do I need something else

Typical Tony
03-01-2011, 10:25 PM
LOL took it out right after taking the pics

REID429 added 1 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

Will a dual bulb acitnic and 10k light fixture work great for sorties and your basic corals. 24" is what I need or do I need something else

Yes they'll work, i'd say switch out the bulbs for some ATI bulbs and you'll get more out of them.

Erniec
03-02-2011, 06:34 AM
after seeing the pictures, that was a sweet deal

OOwl
03-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Pictures look promising. Rock looks clean but I think you need more of it, especially if you're going reef like you mentioned. On lighting, I'd look at the LED options for reef tanks. Those stunners just aren't very expensive at all and my softies and hearty LPSs are doing fabulous under just those. I still say go with a skimmer and remove the power filter. I removed my skimmer a while back and ran my 34g reef without it for about six months. It did fine for a while (I do regular water changes) but it does better with a skimmer. A skimmer pulls out gunk that a filter just doesn't and allows you to remove it from the system daily. A used Bak-Pak (available all the time online on CL, DFWMAS, Ebay or in the used sections of LFSs) isn't very expensive. I've seen totally clean ones go for $40-50, grimy ones that need parts for much less. The Bak-Pak works well (if maintained properly) for this size tank. Have fun. Looks like you're well on your way to the dark side.

jello
03-02-2011, 06:49 AM
Pictures look promising. Rock looks clean but I think you need more of it, especially if you're going reef like you mentioned. On lighting, I'd look at the LED options for reef tanks. Those stunners just aren't very expensive at all and my softies and hearty LPSs are doing fabulous under just those. I still say go with a skimmer and remove the power filter. I removed my skimmer a while back and ran my 34g reef without it for about six months. It did fine for a while (I do regular water changes) but it does better with a skimmer. A skimmer pulls out gunk that a filter just doesn't and allows you to remove it from the system daily. A used Bak-Pak (available all the time online on CL, DFWMAS, Ebay or in the used sections of LFSs) isn't very expensive. I've seen totally clean ones go for $40-50, grimy ones that need parts for much less. The Bak-Pak works well (if maintained properly) for this size tank. Have fun. Looks like you're well on your way to the dark side.

x2, love the rock pieces, they look nice just need more. also would pull the filter off and put a skimmer on. i would also remove the bubble wand, its not needed. can be a nice project though. looks good and good luck on your venture.

dcacjc
03-02-2011, 06:56 AM
I had a AC70 on my 30 gallon cube, removed it and out on a CPR bac pac it the difference was amazing, I have converted my AC70 into a fuge for the tank.

scheri11
03-02-2011, 09:30 PM
seems like the person before had it as a fowlr tank, unless you want to go reef then i wouldn't bother getting a skimmer. Just keep up with the top off and w/c and it should be an awesome little tank. A small powerhead wouldn't hurt either. A skimmer is a must. I would check into the black substrate I am not so sure that is a good thing for a salt tank. I just remember hearing that is was not good, but I can not remember why. I want to say that it has sharp edges. I am not sure if that is what I heard or not just check into it.