PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get it!

fatfutures
02-07-2008, 06:47 AM
I don't understand how so many LFS can sell such SICK looking fish! I mean, fish that look like they have one fin already through deaths door!

Y'all know that I recently got into Discus. So, I like to check out what's available when I'm at a store. Gotta tell ya, it's time to stop looking! Kinda like I had to cut myself f from reading the animal ads on Craigslist. It just makes me insane.

One store I checked out has quite a few discus. A lot in fact. And, they are all awful! They all looked starved and sick. The younguns are all stunted. They even had one adult, for $150, that only had one eye! The adults really don't look any better.

Was in a store yesterday, they had a tank of young Discus... they were all so starved! Pinched heads, barely swimming, poor color, there were two dead in the tank that had been there a while judging the way they'd been nibbled on.

ARGH! It really pisses me off! I know we get upset at some of the listings on Craigslist. Stupid people that haven't a clue! But, aren't LFS supposed to KNOW better. I'm not talking mega-chains here. I'm talking small stores that specialize in fish!

DOUBLE ARGH!

lellison
02-07-2008, 07:10 AM
That is horrible. It makes me mad as well. Sad too. :(

tsunderl
02-07-2008, 07:18 AM
It is aggravating at best to go to some of the LFS. There's some I won't go back in to because of the conditions or staff, like the one that told me 7.6ph was way too high for mollies. :confuzeld: I find it annoying to see fish that have obviously been dead for quite some time in tanks while the employees chat and flirt with each other. And then there's the one that I pointed out a lot of fish were rubbing against rocks and had white spots on them and was told that was "normal behavior because they are establishing the boss of the tank". :eek: Um, no.... That's ICK you MORON!!!

I feel your fustration. Is it too early to hit the wine jug???

lellison
02-07-2008, 07:25 AM
yea, and when you do mention to someone that they have some fish ich so that they can treat them ( not to tell them how horrible they are, but to let them know so they can treat the fish and save them!) and all they do is yell at you about how wonderful they run things. Hello! I did not question them ( though I wanted to), I just don't want fish to suffer b/c at this store no one was EVER in the fish department and ppl have their head up their...sorry I'm done now. Maybe I was out of line...who knows.

supersmirky
02-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Oh wow. Yeah....me too. I told someone at DNA about their "ick" tank. They really didn't care. This stuff was in advance stages and looked like coral growing on these fish. He said, yeah, we need to treat that tank. Oh boy!! Made me feel better.

It's very frustrating

lellison
02-07-2008, 07:31 AM
wow, that would tick me off. It ticked me off when the guy yelled at me at the LFS I was at. I have not gone back there much.

fatfutures
02-07-2008, 07:32 AM
I do't ever think it's TOO early to hit that jug! Of course, if I hit it too hard the rest of the day might be shot... I can live with that!

I think some of these people need to be locked in an excrement filled, tiny room with little ventilation. Throw in a dead body for good measure.

Hmmmm... a little much perhaps?

NAH!

fatfutures
02-07-2008, 07:33 AM
A guy yelled at you? OMG! Where's he at?!?!?! I'm gonna take the boys there and put the fear of DANE into em!

lellison
02-07-2008, 07:36 AM
heck yes!! I was at a Petco. and I was just trying to be nice...yea he griped me out and told me how advanced their systems were and how great the tanks were etc. basically how dare I tell him something was overlooked or wrong w the fish. No one was ever back in the fish department, I wouldn't have felt right not saying something

fatfutures
02-07-2008, 07:40 AM
I wouldn't have felt right not reporting him to the store manager, disctrict manager and every other manager I could manage to speak to!

That kinda crap pisses me off. But, doesn't surprise me when we're talking big chains.

It really cheeses me off to see such sick fish in the smaller, individually owned FISH only stores. I mean, C'mon! Y'all are supposed to know better!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

OK, I'm all fiesty now! Ought to be an interesting day! hehehe

lellison
02-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Well...he was the store manager...Yea it pissed me off

lellison
02-07-2008, 07:49 AM
haha, don't be too fiesty! Take to the wine. haha j/k

bra8ndy8
02-07-2008, 09:29 AM
ohh well I took my hubby shopping last night in the BIG city...lol....and stopped into usa aquariums.....when my husband looked at me and said I don't know about fish but all of them looked half dead!! there was a huge blood parrot with what looked like hole in the head, a tank of yellow labs that were all huddled in the back of the tank...and why does that lady who works the front always come to the fish room and watch u like ur gunna stick a fish in ur purse and run!!

fatfutures
02-07-2008, 09:40 AM
ohh well I took my hubby shopping last night in the BIG city...lol....and stopped into usa aquariums.....when my husband looked at me and said I don't know about fish but all of them looked half dead!! there was a huge blood parrot with what looked like hole in the head, a tank of yellow labs that were all huddled in the back of the tank...and why does that lady who works the front always come to the fish room and watch u like ur gunna stick a fish in ur purse and run!!

:silence:

I wasn't gonna name names... so I'm not!

But.... :exactly:

xtc
02-07-2008, 09:46 AM
I go to USA for parts and supplies- they're good people.

Have you seen some of the prices they have fish? I wouldn't be surprised if they had experienced people walkin out with fish in their pockets. Bummer, but true.

kewlkatdady
02-07-2008, 09:47 AM
There are very few LFS who truely care about the fish...

JFP's, R2R and FG are the only three that I see healthy fish on a regular bases...(I don't think I forgot anyone)

I pretty much dont go to other LFS because I've been and was not impressed and will not go back.
Plus I can get anthing I need at one of those 3 stores.

fatfutures
02-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Parts and supplies yes... but, I have to say that about 80% of their fish are shit! Look around, you'll see more than one with HTH and their Discus are just awful. I understand that the owner used to be a breeder? But, stopped when he opened the store? You'd really think he knew better....

supersmirky
02-07-2008, 10:23 AM
:special:

Yes...some do have those problems. But they carry Arowanas and blood parrots only don't they?

tsunderl
02-07-2008, 10:37 AM
:silence:

I wasn't gonna name names... so I'm not!

But.... :exactly:
Yep, she's the one that told me 7.6ph was too high for mollies. And she watched me like a hawk and I didn't even have a purse!!! That's the one and only time I'll go there.

I get most of my stuff from Exotic Aquatics. Good guys in there.

fatfutures
02-07-2008, 10:49 AM
SS, they also have cichlids and a butt load of Discus, some have HTH as well and most of the Discus look starved. They

kewlkatdady
02-07-2008, 11:12 AM
they what?

fatfutures
02-07-2008, 11:16 AM
brain farted and I lost the rest!

biggin
02-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I agree with Chris, they are good people.

The fish they have in the back are better then what is on display.

They have great dry goods.

supersmirky
02-07-2008, 02:08 PM
I called for shrimp and they told me what they had but when I showed up she said I misundstood...and they were OUT of shrimp! ughh. Waste of trip. Hate that. But big place...lots of stuff