PDA

View Full Version : What is "Blackberry Shrimp"?

ewok
01-14-2011, 10:11 PM
I went to Petco today and saw some "Blackberry Shrimp" there. Nice cool bue/black color and I almost bought some! I relly like to add some of them to one of my shrimp tanks, but am afraid that they may interbreed with either my RCS or my Yellow shrimp.

Are they black color varients of Neocaridina or Caridina?

WRabbit
01-15-2011, 02:01 AM
Petco has sold these off and on for several years, mainly on the east coast. Some suggest Petco buys from Florida-based Segrest Farms, which labels their Blackberry Shrimp as Caridina cf babaulti. On the other hand, the general consensus is this variant is related to Amano Shrimp. Their blue color is not passed down, except in rare occasions. Arizona Aquatic Gardens labels them as Caridina cantonensis (http://www.azgardens.com/p-215-algae-eating-shrimp-dwarf-blackberry.aspx). Go figure. I would think Petco could verify their scientific name. It should be on their weekly fish order invoice and probably in their computer database.

Blackberry Shrimp - Google Search (http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=blackberry+shrimp&aq=f&aqi=g1g-m1g-v1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=fd0f73886609171d)

Jim

http://www.azgardens.com/p-215-algae-eating-shrimp-dwarf-blackberry.aspx

brokenhalo
01-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Blackberry Shrimp,Theres an App for that!!
Sorry Ive had two blackberrys and I couldnt resist.:D
Seriuosly tho I like the way they look.
Would it be a correct assumption that given their small size that a lot of fish like angels might find them tasty?

alta678
01-15-2011, 03:35 AM
Yes they would. I had some Red Cherry shrimp with a cardinal. The cardinal took care of all the baby shrimp. It couldn't eat the adults but those babies seemed to be very tasty!

brokenhalo
01-15-2011, 03:38 AM
Yes they would. I had some Red Cherry shrimp with a cardinal. The cardinal took care of all the baby shrimp. It couldn't eat the adults but those babies seemed to be very tasty!
Hungry hungry cardinal for sure.Answers my shrimp question lol.

alta678
01-15-2011, 03:47 AM
Very FAT cardinal! LOL!!!

brokenhalo
01-15-2011, 04:10 AM
Very FAT cardinal! LOL!!!
LOL!! just like Mufasa right?

alta678
01-15-2011, 04:12 AM
Yep! roflmaoroflmaoroflmao

brokenhalo
01-15-2011, 04:27 AM
roflmaoroflmaoroflmao
gnite sue :D

ewok
01-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Therefore, I can have them with my Yellow shrimp because "Blackberry shrimp" won't interbreed with Neocaridina's, right?

chumblaka
01-25-2011, 06:21 PM
What petco did you find these at? I would like to go pick some up!

ewok
01-25-2011, 09:49 PM
I saw blackberry shrimps @ the Petco in Allen (I-75 & McDermott) two weeks ago. However, when I came back last week to buy some, they were all gone. Yesterday, I saw some Orange Bee Shrimp ($3.99/each) there instead.

What petco did you find these at? I would like to go pick some up!

ewok
04-04-2011, 02:54 PM
The pictures are the blackberry shrimp I have with my cherry shrimp. The colors are a bit off due to the flash light thus the cherry shrimp's color looks more like orange. However, the pictures do show that there's some maroon in thier black color and some dots on the body (when under strong light). Moreover, their body size is a little larger than cherry shrimp. Do these indicate that the so-called "blackberry shrimp" are relatives of Amano shrimp?

ewok
04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
One more picture without flash light. This is how they really look like.