PDA

View Full Version : Tank Cycle Stalled?

bgbdwlf2500
12-19-2010, 09:43 AM
I just set up a 55 and used the live sand you can buy in the stores. This has always worked really well for me (cycle within 2 weeks) but this time i feel like the cycle has stalled. Ammonia has come and gone, within a week if im not mistaken but the nitrite hasnt changed in a week and a half. I added a bottle of "live" bacteria from instant ocean yesterday just to try and help it along. I know these arent the miracle they claim to be but thought id try something to get it to move along. Does it sound like it stalled or am I just being impatient cuz ive had better success before?

Any suggestions?

alta678
12-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Since you are struggling with the ph issue in your discus tank, could the stall be the same problem?

bgbdwlf2500
12-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Since you are struggling with the ph issue in your discus tank, could the stall be the same problem?

Checked yesterday, ph at 8.2-8.3

Typical Tony
12-19-2010, 10:54 AM
how many lbs of live sand did you add? what kind? what else is in the tank, live rock or just sand and saltwater?

add some snails in there to help with the cycle.

bgbdwlf2500
12-19-2010, 11:32 AM
how many lbs of live sand did you add? what kind? what else is in the tank, live rock or just sand and saltwater?

add some snails in there to help with the cycle.

Added about 30 lbs of live sand which i know is low for a 55. I think it was the carib sea brand live sand. Just sand, saltwater and 2 three stripe damsels... I know theres not much sand there to help with the cycle but the bioload is very small too. As I said, the ammonia was gone in a week or less.

Also, this is going to be an aggressive tank. Will snails survive that?

greeneyed
12-19-2010, 11:48 AM
How long has it been up? What kind of filter or sump does it have?
30 lbs is definitely not enough. Any rock? Plan on rock?
That little bit of sand alone wont be able to keep up without either rock or some other sort of filtration.

Typical Tony
12-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Added about 30 lbs of live sand which i know is low for a 55. I think it was the carib sea brand live sand. Just sand, saltwater and 2 three stripe damsels... I know theres not much sand there to help with the cycle but the bioload is very small too. As I said, the ammonia was gone in a week or less.

Also, this is going to be an aggressive tank. Will snails survive that?

you will definitely need snails to act as a clean up crew. so no live rocks? I think it's a bit early to add fish... I was told to add a cuc before adding fish to a new tank.

bgbdwlf2500
12-19-2010, 01:09 PM
How long has it been up? What kind of filter or sump does it have?
30 lbs is definitely not enough. Any rock? Plan on rock?
That little bit of sand alone wont be able to keep up without either rock or some other sort of filtration.

Its been up for about 3 weeks. I know thats not a long time but for most of it it has been sitting with the same amount of nitrite. Nobody asked about filters lol....Yes it has a brand new fluval 305 and when it has fish in it i will have a protein skimmer on it. A few pieces of rock will eventually make its way into it as well. Ammonia is and has been 0 btw

you will definitely need snails to act as a clean up crew. so no live rocks? I think it's a bit early to add fish... I was told to add a cuc before adding fish to a new tank.

I use damsels to cycle every salt tank ive ever set up. Once the temp, salinity and ph are good i go ahead and put them in. This is the only time ive ever had a tank seem to stop cycling. I will get some snails to clean up, just didnt want to put them in there and have them attacked or eaten.