PDA

View Full Version : Baby Crystal Red Shrimp

pam916
10-26-2010, 03:17 AM
I finally have baby crystal red shrimp. I got the parents from Jax a couple of months ago and he told me then that it was a couple of months after he got his before they had babies and sure enough I saw the first babies last night. I would take pictures but they are so tiny I can barely see them.

AllKindsOfFishIn&Out
10-26-2010, 07:46 AM
How cool! Grats!
I want to get some kind of Shrimp for my 20 gallon planted tank as soon as I'm sure it's safe to put them in. They're a little picky about the water being really well cycled, right?

Haiven
10-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Pam, that's so exciting! I've never seen crystal reds in person, so I'll have to come visit you guys one of these days!

PersistentFish
10-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Congrats! I hope mine acclimate to the Dallas water... they were breeding like rabbits before the move. What grade are yours?

Adroit
10-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Congrats.

jax
10-26-2010, 05:27 PM
That's awesome! They are so tiny at first but they look just like there parents.

pam916
10-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks guys for all of the nice words.

All Kinds of Fish - I believe you do need a well cycled tank for them to do best. I have mine in a 20 gallon high planted tank, I set my tank up following the Jax method, using amazonia soil and letting the tank cycle for about 6 weeks, then I added cherry shrimp for a couple of weeks to see if they did ok and then I added the crystal reds.

Nancy - You are invited to come and see them anytime you like. The crystal reds are my favorite shrimp. I think it is because they are very pretty, active and their color makes them stand out and easy to observe.

PersistentFish - I bet yours will do fine, I know there are people in Dallas who keep them. It took mine and Jax a couple of months to reproduce. I don't know what grade they are, I got them from Jax so he might be able to say. Jax told me that you continually improve your grade by culling as they reproduce.

AllKindsOfFishIn&Out
10-27-2010, 08:14 AM
I believe you do need a well cycled tank for them to do best. I have mine in a 20 gallon high planted tank, I set my tank up following the Jax method, using amazonia soil and letting the tank cycle for about 6 weeks, then I added cherry shrimp for a couple of weeks to see if they did ok and then I added the crystal reds..

Thanks for the info...I think my tank's probably ready for some Cherry Shrimp then 'cause the Endlers are doing really well in there, then I'll be contacting Jax for some Crystal Reds. They are so pretty!

NursePlaty
10-27-2010, 08:22 AM
Congrats :). I bought some CRS from jackson too but it has not been a few months yet. Did you buy the ADA Amazonia substrate online pam? And much was it. I might consider getting some.

pam916
10-28-2010, 07:04 AM
Congrats :). I bought some CRS from jackson too but it has not been a few months yet. Did you buy the ADA Amazonia substrate online pam? And much was it. I might consider getting some.

I did buy the amazonia online because I could not find it locally. It was $28.00 a bag plus shipping, it was not cheap. IMO you only need one bag for a 20 gallon high. I don't think that you have to use amazonia but it seems to be the substrate of choice for a lot of crystal red shrimp keepers. The plants like it too.

h0ngkn0t2
05-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Anyone have luck using the Flourite Dark? That's what I plan on keeping my CRS in. Got any updates/pics of these guys?

pam916
05-11-2011, 02:57 AM
I don't know anyone who has used Flourite dark, but I think the main thing is that the tank is well cycled. CRS are very sensitive to water changes. Be careful not to feed too much, I don't feed mine everyday. Mine go crazy over a slice of cucumber. Do only small water changes once a week. Don't use a heater, they prefer cooler temps. I use a sponge filter and a hob with a sponge on the intake tube. I have been very happy with my CRS, they have thrived and multiplied. I take terrible pictures, but I will see if I can't take a couple and post them. Good luck!