PDA

View Full Version : CRRAAAAAAPPP! Stupid Algae!!

fishcrazy
01-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Well, still in the cycling phase of my new 55gal... now I seem to have a green algae bloom going on in my 29gal.. ugh.... the siamese algae eaters are getting fat! :D They sure are industrious little buggers! Makes me mad though, cause now I am gonna have some gravel scrubbing to do possibly afterward.. I have white gravel on bottom of this tank... What was I thinking?!?!?!? :eek:

Water parameters are great... not sure what is happening... it just started appearing a few days ago. No more light than usual... temp is same as always... It's a mystery! I was gonna do some Algae fix, but I think it is just gonna be lights out for a few days. Spending enough on getting the big tank set up at the moment.. :spend:

Sigh... the work never ends.... :rolleyes1:

Angela

flamenco-t
01-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Do 75% WC, turn lihts out for 3-4 days, then do another WC. It should clear up in a week.

stan

fishcrazy
01-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Wow, that was exactly my plan! Glad to see I am on the right track. I am trying to use less and less of the chemical resolutions as I gain experience. Thanks for verifying for me! :D

I was also reading somewhere to wrap the tank in newspaper to completely block out light... I asked my hubby to help me with that and after he stopped laughing at me....approx 30 mins later.... he said, 'honey, fish can't read!' Ugh... men! hee hee :p:

Goathead
01-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Im in the opposite boat. Im trying to grow green algae for my Tropheus, and its not working very well.:confuzeld:

fishcrazy
01-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Well from what I have been reading, let your nitrAtes rise a bit and it will take off like crazy! J/K! Not sure what my cause was, as my water quality has been stable for quite some time. Last test yesterday showed it to be in good range...wonder if it could have come in on my latest addition of black skirts... hmmm... probably not...

EAST_TX_RN
01-13-2008, 10:15 PM
I was having a bloom recently and just started reducing the time I had the lights on my tank. I also got a super-duper algae eater(BN) from Blake that is taking care of the rest. By the way, Blake, I did not have to clean any algae out of my 50 after putting your little bugger in! Thanks!

REYREY
01-14-2008, 08:59 AM
if you need to have an agea bloom.... leave the lights on 24/7 for about 5 days...keep it well airiated... and you will have pea soup.....

then what was stated earlier...to rid yourself of the green tank... scrap as much off the glass...do water change every day of about 50% or so... clears up in a week...OF course with no lights on other than the room lights...

bgk245
01-14-2008, 09:25 AM
The algae in my 25 just went wild a few months ago, and then the BN turned up dead right around Thanksgiving. I'm wondering if it was simply not eating well enough at the end to keep the problem controlled. At any rate, I have a new BN in the q-tank, and I'm bringing it a daily exchange of rocks from the other tanks - the little bugger scours them overnight, and then I give them a quick disinfect and return them in exchange for more slimey ones. A wire brush and a bottle of Clorox couldn't do as much as this little guy is doing. He's getting fat and happy in quarantine, and the 25 is getting cleaned up piece by piece - by the time I move him into his new home, all he'll need to work on is the gravel and glass, and it will be nice and shiney again.

UncleSamsPuppet
01-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Im in the opposite boat. Im trying to grow green algae for my Tropheus, and its not working very well.:confuzeld:

I can grow algea in less than 24 hours if I change my lights from 5000-6500K to 3000-4100K and if I switch back, it's gone within 24 hours ;).

flamenco-t
01-14-2008, 01:44 PM
don't use any chemicals...those don't work very well plus, they some of them will alter the bio filtration.