PDA

View Full Version : Name that GEO!!!

PiePuncher
07-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Ok, here's the story! I have an addiction... A fish addiction and yesterday I ran across a deal that I could not pass up. I found some geo's that were mislabeled and I got them for nothing, a few dollars for 4 inch fish. I am considering buying more but am interested as to what kind of geos they are. They look like orange head tapajo or some kind of altifron. What do you guys think? They have orange heads and stripes down the body. The dot is large. I did not need the fish but had a hospital tank that just had one large hap in it and I decided I had room...lol I am not an expert on geos and am interested in some opinions..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/PiePuncher/fish037.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/PiePuncher/fish033.jpg

PiePuncher added 3 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/PiePuncher/fish019.jpg

k20z3
07-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Look alot like Geophagus Tapajo Red Head to me.

Plano_Jeff
07-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Are those the geos from Petsmart? If so, I've got a couple of little ones in a tank that are just starting to color up. They were labeled as G. surinamensis but research indicates that there haven't been true surinamensis in the hobby for years and that has become a "catch all" species for random geos.

I'm hoping for Altifrons as I've got them in with a couple of big Altifrons that cost me about eight times as much per fish, but I'll be happy with any geo species that won't torture the altifrons or severum in the tank with them.

Mine are just starting to show coloring like yours. I'd be thrilled with a couple of tapajos. In fact, I've been thinking of going back and getting two more. The price can't be beat.

It's kind of like a scratch off lottery ticket that takes a few months to see what you won! :hehe:

fishman76092
07-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Geo altifrons or Geo abalios. If the side spot is fairly small and disappears from time to time, its the former. If its a large spot that is always present, its the latter. If you can get a really clear photo of them, I'll tell you for sure. I'm leaning towards abalios.

If they were petsmart purchases, Ive seen both fish labelled as Geo surinamensis.

Red Head Tapajos have striped tails and would be near full color at 4" with the orange nape, etc. Here is a pic of a 3"+ fish.

PiePuncher
07-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Fish, the spot is not always there but after doing more research, I believe you are right. Abalios looks exactly the same. I will be picking up more tomorrow. I paid 3.99 each for small Geo. lol. I would not consider these small and deff. worth 3.99. Looks like I will have 3 more tomorrow.
My excuse will be that I am headed to pet store to get crickets for my sons White's treefrogs and nicaraguan red eyes....lol I can afford my addiction at 3.99 each....

PiePuncher added 22 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

The stripes, spot, and tail are what make me believe it is abalios. I looked up an article that was on all the differences of the fish and all had distinct characteristics with differences in the tail pattern, horizontal and vertical stripes and so on. For the price, I got a steal of a deal. Wife gave me the ok to fill my tank.... Looks like the 90 gallon tank in the garage might be setup soon... thanks again.

PiePuncher
08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Went back today and all the geos were gone! :( Oh well, at least I have three...