PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Questions

brokenhalo
07-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Hi all, I dont own an oscar yet but will soon. Could you all weigh in on which is better for 1 oscar. A 75g regular with rectangle dimensions, or say like a 75 bow front.

flamenco-t
07-25-2010, 12:35 PM
They're the same, they're mostly mid section dwellers so bow front or rectangular will do the job.

stan

brokenhalo
07-25-2010, 12:37 PM
How long do you think I could keep a baby one growing in a 55g b4 it gets too cruel and I have to give him a 75g?

OOwl
07-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi, BH, I grew out two baby oscars in progressively larger tanks, and they currently live in a custom 100g tank, which I am hoping they will not outgrow. They're the only two fish in the tank, and both are probable females (less activity, aggression, and destructive behavior than the males I've seen and had before). The tank seems comfortable for two adult oscars of medium size (they're about 10-12" each). Prior to this tank, I had them in a 58g for about the first 7-8 months. They were fine in that, so I'm thinking your babies will probably be fine in that 55 for a year and maybe longer. Of course, oscars will enjoy the largest tank you can provide and patrol every inch of it, but, with proper maintenance, I think your fish will do just fine. Have you picked out what color/type of oscars you'll get yet? I have one tiger longfin and one lutino longfin. I really like the look of the "lemon" oscars too though.

brokenhalo
07-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Oh I saw ur VT Oscars theyre beautiful. Im going to get a regular Oscar as my fiance likes it better and since she named him already (Brutus and we dont even have him yet LOL) and later ill get a separate tank for a VT if we get a House. I love that she takes an interest in the fishies due to my interest rubbing off on her Ill let her pick the Oscar.:cool:

OOwl
07-25-2010, 05:29 PM
That's exactly how I got my husband interested in fish, oscars. He absolutely adores ours to the point that if it came to the point where they outgrew their tank or could no longer live together that he would 100-percent support the purchase of a new tank. Oscars really do almost require a name because they easily become true pets. Mine play with a toy ball, line up at the end of their tank and watch TV, and they have come to really LOVE water change days (Wed and Sunday) because they know as soon as the tank is filled with replacement water, they're getting a special treat (I give them a couple of frozen whole silversides each).

I can't wait to see pictures of your chosen oscar and his/her setup. Sounds like he/she is going to have a wonderful home.

BC1976
07-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Oscars are interesting pets. Two observations: 1 is that if you only plan on putting the single Oscar in the tank make sure you are committed to that plan. Keeping him isolated from Juvi on up to full grown will result in him/her not being happy with Tank mates in the future. 2. size of tank out of the way Filtration is the next important step with an oscar double the capacity on the filter. They are messy.

BC1976
07-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Don't know if you are interested but I have a large female Tiger oscar that is trying to spawn and is breaking my wifes heart that she doesn't have a mate. PM me and I will give you the details and see if I can get some pics for you.

Edog610
08-29-2010, 03:16 PM
i have a couple that eat from the hand...
fun times with them.
Anyone want a 9" oscar that is friendly? videos at YouTube- "Deucey" 8/27/2010

EAST_TX_RN
08-30-2010, 04:35 AM
I was horrified when I went to visit my nephew and he has a big tiger Oscar in a 30 gal. tank. I told him to either give him away or put him in my pond. I know that is illegal to do but it was hard seeing this big guy in such a little tank! He is paranoid that his old pier-and-beam house won't be able to support a bigger tank. It is so nice to see you are planning ahead for your future 'Brutus'!

Venom SS
08-30-2010, 11:44 PM
I would go with the rectangular, but the bowfront would probably be fine. Personal pref. really. I agree on the heavy filtration comment as well. I have a 350g with a Grey Tiger Oscar (should have been albino but he got stuck between black and white) and he is the reason I have to vacuum the gravel more than I would like. He makes a big mess when he eats pellets. Very cool fish though.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w173/SS_caramo/Cichla/IMG_1516.jpg

EAST_TX_RN
08-31-2010, 01:00 AM
Aww, he is beautiful!

Edog610
08-31-2010, 05:57 AM
try live tank... plants eat that stuff up!
YouTube- video-2010-08-30-17-36-50
my big boy last night
still up for grabs...
PM me

Venom SS
08-31-2010, 11:44 AM
Mine would jump out of the tank for food like that when he was younger, untill one day he jumped all the way out and landed on the floor. Some say fish arent smart but he wont jump for food anymore since that day. Ide say he learned from his experience lol

BC1976
08-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah my big female that I gave away tried jumping once never did it again. once she hit about 13 inches she was content with just bulldozing driftwood and river stones around the tank.

Edog610
08-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Mine would jump out of the tank for food like that when he was younger, untill one day he jumped all the way out and landed on the floor. Some say fish arent smart but he wont jump for food anymore since that day. Ide say he learned from his experience lol

already had two jump out: landfill and lunchbox.
both were red tiger oscars. both died(as I was not home). Now I have glass on the tank!
Two oscars left: archie and deucey.
Deucey is the white one and is still up for grabs.