PDA

View Full Version : crayfish help!!

bhughes
06-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Found a crayfish in the road, about 2 or 3 inches long. Put it in a 2 1/2 gallon with gravel and rock. Said I was going to take it to the park have had it a week now. It is I guess eating shrimp pellets. Do I need an air stone? What else doI need to do for this thing or would it be best to just take it to the park ? :confuzeld:

alta678
06-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Don't think it needs an air stone. I used to find them in the ditch in very muddy water puddles when I was growing up. Of course, they were called crawdads then! :hehe: Unless you plan to breed it or eat it, I would probably return it to the pond.

iron
06-27-2010, 09:44 AM
I agree, I have hundred of crays. Easy to care for. They are extremely rugged. Any filter would do. I have seen them in a bucket with just water and like that for weeks. So they dont need much. I would give it a toss. I can get you hundreds of prettier ones. :)

robert321
06-27-2010, 02:20 PM
I first kept crawfish I got from Kroger that were intended for cooking kept it for several months before he disappeared out of the tank (the tank was out in the shop) and I haven't seen him since. I keep marmorkrebs now, I would put the local crawfish back in a pond and get a marmorkreb or other aquarium type crayfish, they're a lot prettier

Dr. Awkward
06-27-2010, 02:41 PM
If you don't take it back to the park make sure you use a good lid. When I was a kid I caught a crawdad like that and after a few days he managed to open the hinged plastic lid on his tank and escape. After going on an adventure through the house he kicked it a few rooms away under my mom's dining table.

robert321
06-28-2010, 11:49 AM
found one of mine one morning in the dogs water bowl, actually the cat found it, interesting morning