PDA

View Full Version : Almost lost a bunch of fish!!!!

PiePuncher
05-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Had a power outage recently and almost lost my demasoni from 2005 and my male polit to bloat due to stress and lack of oxygen. I have not had any bloat issues in nearly ten years but anything can happen. Metro was a life saver and my fish are now happy again.
Those of you that have heavily stocked tanks should keep some metro or clout on hand in case of an emergency. Losing my filters for 2 days caused quite a bit of stress and heavy breathing. I used battery powered filters from my boat for a day and I think that is what saved the rest of my fish.
Hope you guys never have this problem as it frightened me and almost made me sad when I saw my old demasoni was sick. He is back to being the smallest king of the tank and I am happy!! With this being storm season and all, you never know when something is going to happen and put your little fish at risk. My tropheus kasanga had two 950 gallon an hour pumps from my boat keeping them happy. Was a close call and hope you guys never have to deal with such an incident.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/PiePuncher/IMG_0999.jpg

Joe Reborn
05-12-2010, 06:58 PM
i am glad they made it. I keep some cycled Sponge filters that are always ready to go with Battery powered Air pumps just in case.

PiePuncher
05-12-2010, 07:12 PM
i am glad they made it. I keep some cycled Sponge filters that are always ready to go with Battery powered Air pumps just in case.

Good idea. My boat pumps work well but it sucks pulling out a bunch of deep cycle batteries from under my boat console. I did not think I was attached to my fish but I found out real quick that I would miss my Dem very much. Tank would not be the same without him. Good idea Joe.

TanyaQ2000
05-12-2010, 09:37 PM
glad your fish are ok....

alta678
05-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Quick thinking on your part. Glad your fish made it!

Haiven
05-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Great save!

J*Hawk*83
05-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Def been there before 2x's dealing with TXU. It really does suck. Sorry you lost that Demasoni, he was gorgeous! So who is the new reigning tank boss?

bcdudley
05-14-2010, 05:45 PM
I keep a ups on my overpopulated Mbuna tank. I also have a homemade generator I made out of an old lawn mower engine, an alternator from a wrecked car, a deep cycle battery and some of those power inverters from Walmart or Craigslist. I keep a voltmeter on it and fire up the motor when it starts getting low. I have had to use it twice and it worked pretty well to run the basic necessities such as a small beer fridge, a fan and of course to run a powerhead once the ups is depleted.

edit: just found this write up on how to roll your own. Mine is very similiar to this one.
http://www.theepicenter.com/tow082099.html

PiePuncher
05-14-2010, 11:37 PM
I still have the demasoni, I was able to save everyone using metro.Funny how such a small fish can be king with so many large haps and peacocks in the tank.
Lucky rescue.

Mayberry_101
07-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Glad they made it