PDA

View Full Version : How about a biocube 29?

Fishbone
05-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Like many of you, I've decided to add a little salt to my mostly FW life. A little bit nervous, but I will take it slow and learn along the way.

My question is I have been debating going with a biocube 29g as a starter tank vs investing in a much larger 100G+ custom setup. Aside from the money aspect any pros and cons with going nano or going macro sized? I'm still learning the SW terminology but I would like to start with this smaller tank to understand what works and what doesn't before going big ($$). This was the same approach I took with my FW tanks.

I found a biocube in great shape for a pretty good price so that doesn't hurt :)

Your advice and words of wisdom are much appreciated.

donkey
05-03-2010, 06:26 PM
With saltwater a larger tank is so much easier to take care of.It cost more but well worth it.Small tanks the water conditions can change so quickly and if you are not doing constant water changes you can have lots of deaths and problems.Big tanks are much more forgiving.That has been my experience and I have also heard that from others.Small tank is probably good if your just looking to keep damsels and no corals.

deviltiger
05-03-2010, 11:02 PM
29g Biocube is perfect for saltwater setup man ;) and I have 1 for sale right now :D come with stand, heater N in perfect condition. pm for price if you interesting:exactly::exactly::exactly:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/1723449529.html <--- picture N infors

TheCanuck
05-04-2010, 02:09 PM
bio cubes are overpriced.

GO MONSTER.

I am a little bias lol, maybe because i love large predator tanks.

I have 46g 55g 360g tanks running salt right now

I had a 125g three 55gs and 180g all salt as well.

Took me a while to decide what i really wanted to do with my salt tanks lol, and predators outgrowing etc. I say go with a 125, out of all my tanks this was my favorite sized one. It was easy to clean, awesome to look at, and decent on maintaining the the wow factor.:exactly:

Do you plan on predators?
Reef?
Community?

LMK if you want to come over and check out the tanks. I have plenty of rubble rock (30lbs) that would be great for a canister and would really kickstart your tank.

Fishbone
05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Just an update - the biocube is now full of SW. Its a bit murky still, but I hope this clears up when I add some live sand (pacific black) and rocks/rubble (tonight).

OOwl
05-06-2010, 09:28 AM
How fun. You'll really enjoy embarking on the reefkeeping side of the hobby. When you get ready to add corals, be sure and go over on DFWMAS board and ask because people will sell you (cheap!)/or give you cuttings that will fill your tank in no time. Wishing you well. . .

Fishbone
05-06-2010, 04:29 PM
If they would only approve me .....

Venom SS
05-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Saltwater in a Nano is really easy. If youre buying your water premixed from a LFS its even easier. They just require a little more attention. I setup my first one at the first of the year and its doing just fine. I used live sand and about 20lbs of cured live rock. Let it run for about a week to absorb die off and added my Peacock Mantis shrimp. The key is plenty of water changes, and keeping the temp right. Heat can be a big factor. I dont even run a heater on mine, and it stays at about 78 degrees. If your doing corals, crawl before you walk. Start off with simple filter feeding standard light polyps and work your way up. Polyps are very hardy and will be forgiving as you learn the ins and outs. Some of the more exotic corals will require halide lighting which is pricey and can overheat your tank in a big hurry. Halides in a bio cube almost require a chiller.

Your live rock and sand is your filtration. All you really need beyond that is some manner of sponge for a mechanical prefilter. Invest in one of those fans to increase circulation in there, nanos dont really have sufficient circulation stock. Koralia makes some good ones. Also, a lighting timer is a good idea as well. Set it to where its only on about 9hrs a day, or more if your corals require it. I run mine from 1pm to 10pm so that its on when im home. The corals and other life will appreciate the regular day / night schedule, and it will prevent you from having the lights on too long, which can cause all sorts of problems.

TheCanuck
05-15-2010, 07:36 PM
how is it coming!?

if you need more rubble let me know. Or anything else, especially if you plan to do an internet order for fish, i have been looking around for some nano sized fish.

Fishbone
05-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Still waiting for it to cycle. The rubble is doing well, my modded floss filter is really polishing the water well. Even all the "dust" from the live sand I added cleared up in about 2 hrs. I will probably add another 40 lb bag later this week, so far I only have about 1.5" of sand, 3" should be adequate I think.

A new 10k 36W and new Actinic 36W really helps light the tank up now. Waiting for the koralia 425 nano power head from Big Als.

Currently working on an LED light for the Chaetomorpha - Refugium (36x16,000mcd LEDs - sucks about 3-4wats in power) - waiting for some Cree LEDs but haven't found a cheap source yet so these will have to do for now.

Some more questions:

Where can I get Chaetomorpha cheap?

Should I add a piece of raw shrimp or fish to help the tank cycle? I read some where that this will help get stuff kick started.

How about adding a few snails and hermit crabs?

TheCanuck
05-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Still waiting for it to cycle. The rubble is doing well, my modded floss filter is really polishing the water well. Even all the "dust" from the live sand I added cleared up in about 2 hrs. I will probably add another 40 lb bag later this week, so far I only have about 1.5" of sand, 3" should be adequate I think.

A new 10k 36W and new Actinic 36W really helps light the tank up now. Waiting for the koralia 425 nano power head from Big Als.

Currently working on an LED light for the Chaetomorpha - Refugium (36x16,000mcd LEDs - sucks about 3-4wats in power) - waiting for some Cree LEDs but haven't found a cheap source yet so these will have to do for now.

Some more questions:

Where can I get Chaetomorpha cheap?

Should I add a piece of raw shrimp or fish to help the tank cycle? I read some where that this will help get stuff kick started.

How about adding a few snails and hermit crabs?

Yea i would let some shrimp rot in a something that wont let it get all over the tank, just let it spoil the water.

Fishbone
05-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Picked up 30 lbs of live rock and another 20 lbs of sand from 2 different people on dfwmas. There is definitely a lot of biodiversity in the rock and sand now - lots of pods seen on the rocks and leaving tunnels in the sand near the glass. Its been almost a week and nitrates are testing around 10-20, looks like its going through a small cycle. Hopefully this will 0 out in a week or 2.

I have a clean up crew on order from reefcleaners.

Do I need to wait for the coraline to grow before adding some soft corals? Or is it good enough if the water maintains 0 nitrates over a week or 2?

TheCanuck
05-25-2010, 09:44 AM
you can begin adding softies and mushroom whenever you like. Coraline has no effect on the corals other than its helps keep nitrates down. But if you keeping them at 10 or below softies will not even be touched by the water quality.

Fishbone
07-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Tank is progressing well. Hitchhiker mushrooms and other critters are thriving in the tank. Pods, tube worms, bristle worms galore. Went through an algae bloom a few weeks ago when I added some snails - some died in transit so I think this added to the mini cycle. The green star polyps are thriving and propagating as well.

So far the water quality has been pretty stable for a few weeks so I've added a damsel, peppermint shrimp and hermit. Lets see how this affects the water before I add any other live stock.

cichlid-dave
07-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Remember most Damsel fish are really aggressive.

deanb
07-29-2010, 10:56 AM
4 stripe and blue devil damsels are the ones to go with.

TetraFan
08-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Any new pictures to share? :)

rmalford
08-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Ken, you've been summoned.

texasswangin214
08-17-2014, 09:45 PM
I have some dragons breath macro algae if you still need some sort of macro

TetraFan
04-29-2015, 07:55 AM
I'm sure interested to know how this tank is going. It was started around the same time as one of mine. Any news?