PDA

View Full Version : How do you all do it

oscar-lover
04-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Waterchanges, i have 2 tanks now (33G and 45G)....:)

after sucessfully killing my HRP's by dumping them in chlorinated tap water ........i now store my water after adding de-chlo for a week before doing water changes...

How do you all do it.....i have to fill out jugs and jugs of water to fill the new water in the tank....!!!!!

Right now i cant afford all the fancy RO units or large storage systems with built in taps in them....

Thanks
Ravi

Austin
04-29-2010, 02:24 PM
I filled straight out of the tap and added prime (as do most) until this:

http://www.dfwfishbox.com/forums/production/showthread.php?t=13174

I'm running a 300, 240, 90, two 40's, and a 20

Holey_Rock_of_Texas
04-29-2010, 02:26 PM
i just add dechlor as i am filling the tank.

iron
04-29-2010, 02:34 PM
i just add dechlor as i am filling the tank.

x2 Mostly I add water conditioners first then the water. Never a loss since.

J*Hawk*83
04-29-2010, 02:36 PM
x3, just add water conditioners as you fill the tank. Be careful in winter months though! (Not a problem now!!! :D though)

TheCanuck
04-29-2010, 02:37 PM
buy PRIME. Best dechlor ever.

My current water changes are ...

Easy with a python and prime :)

Ill never lift a bucket again, just empty water into sink directly from tank, add prime, fill.

oscar-lover
04-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Hey Austin , your link to the MFK dont seem to have pics in them....????

I wish i could fill straight out of taps, my taps in my apartment wont fit a hose....:mad:

TheCanuck
04-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Hey Austin , your link to the MFK dont seem to have pics in them....????

I wish i could fill straight out of taps, my taps in my apartment wont fit a hose....:mad:

They have different sizes for different connections. It should fit your kitchen sink. They are 30$ on ebay. You could get a 25 or 50ft hose and reach everywhere in your app.

BTW pics on mfk are no longer :D Austin made a drip system, which i wouldn't advise in an apartment, esp if you don't want to buy an ro system

OOwl
04-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Freshwater tanks: 20-40% twice a week (Wednesday and Sunday), straight out of the tap, adjusted for temperature, add Prime as it's going in. Never a loss after a water change. Takes about an hour to hour and a half for all tanks. (More water changes than really needed here, but I just enjoy giving the fish clean water and it keeps my filters cleaner.)

Reef tank: Buy replacement salt and RO water by the 5g jug. Do 10-20% WC every Tuesday. Literally takes less than five minutes.

Austin
04-29-2010, 02:57 PM
They have different sizes for different connections. It should fit your kitchen sink. They are 30$ on ebay. You could get a 25 or 50ft hose and reach everywhere in your app.

BTW pics on mfk are no longer :D Austin made a drip system, which i wouldn't advise in an apartment, esp if you don't want to buy an ro system

Pics on MFK are gone? Hmm. I don't get on the forums much more. If it really matters I'll post them on here but that's old news...

Austin added 1 Minutes and 24 Seconds later...

Oh and you can get faucet adapters at any hardware store local, no need for eBay at all

TheCanuck
04-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Pics on MFK are gone? Hmm. I don't get on the forums much more. If it really matters I'll post them on here but that's old news...

"Please bear with us. We had a server failure this AM and have finally regained most services. Unfortunately, we have everything except for attachments. We are working on restoring this. Attachments uploaded from this point on should be unaffected. We apologized for any inconvenience. "

^
MFK, they also fail to warn people of possible trojan leaks through their site. :blahblah:

oscar-lover
04-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks guys.......now i need to go get myself a hose and a "faucet adaptor"..

@ Austin, if you dont mind, can you shoot me those pics to ravindran.armugam@gmail.com, i would'nt mind looking at them..

Can i get the faucet adapter in Lowes or Homedepot....???

khrister
04-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys.......now i need to go get myself a hose and a "faucet adaptor"..

@ Austin, if you dont mind, can you shoot me those pics to ravindran.armugam@gmail.com, i would'nt mind looking at them..

Can i get the faucet adapter in Lowes or Homedepot....???

Definitely! I got mine from there.

oscar-lover
04-29-2010, 03:50 PM
"Please bear with us. We had a server failure this AM and have finally regained most services. Unfortunately, we have everything except for attachments. We are working on restoring this. Attachments uploaded from this point on should be unaffected. We apologized for any inconvenience. "

^
MFK, they also fail to warn people of possible trojan leaks through their site. :blahblah:

No wonder i could'nt see the attachments on MFK......

Typical Tony
04-29-2010, 05:30 PM
python is a time saver compared to doing buckets...

Fishbone
04-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Get the brass adapter if you can for the Python - the plastic one is a pain and can get stuck to the faucet requiring a quarter to unscrew it. I use Prime as I fill (always overdose on the Prime just in case) - you can always adjust the temp with the hold/cold water.

Use minimal gravel to reduce the need to vacuum your tank. I can do a water change with the python and scrub the tanks with the mag floats on my 105 and 39 in less than 1 hr (scrub as the tank drains)

oscar-lover
04-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Python is interesting too...it comes with a faucet adaptor.....where did you buy it...

Yeah, i did read up on the faucet adaptor breaking off due to wear and tear.....

robert321
04-30-2010, 12:46 AM
what i would do back before i broke down and bought a python is i would set a 5 gallon bucket in the bathtub and run a water hose to it then jam the hose onto a big powerhead (a "cheap" pond pump from petsmart) Then run water into the bucket and pump it from the bucket through the hose and into the tank. Then for cleaning the gravel and getting water out I'd jam the other end of the hose onto the gravel siphon and siphon it out. It basically accomplishes the same thing as the python, just not as fancy. i was too cheap to buy one and had the bucket, pump, a gravel siphon, and the dog chewed the end of that waterhose so i just cut out a good piece of it long enough to do the job. Quite honestly the only huge benifit i see with the python is having the cutoff valve right there at the end for you, that and a python is a little less "southern" roflmao, it was rigged but it worked

robert321 added 4 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

oh and with pythons, don't rely on that cheap ball valve cutoff, I decided to just leave that closed then go turn on the water and control it from my valve, well, it broke and i sprayed down the living room. I would suggest that either don't put pressure on the valve or go buy a different valve from walmart or something, ones for a waterhose work and you can get them that are plastic but are heavier duty. Its probably in the instructions or something about putting pressure on that valve but I didn't bother to read it

oscar-lover
04-30-2010, 06:12 AM
You know what Robert, you read my mind......:D