PDA

View Full Version : Natural water softener

oscar-lover
04-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Are almond leaves available here.....they are the choice of most dwarf cichlids / wild betta keepers...we used to use them a lot to soften the water, condition the fish to get them to spawn...

What do you guys use as a substitute if not the almond leaves....????

TanyaQ2000
04-01-2010, 11:42 AM
wonder if they can be purchased at any of the whole food stores

Typical Tony
04-01-2010, 11:58 AM
i dont think there are any local seller of almond leaves in the metroplex... most of us order online.

You can substitute it with peat moss, oak leaves, or water conditioner.. like tetra blackwater or kent blackwater, i think seachem makes black water conditioner as well.

oscar-lover
04-01-2010, 12:04 PM
I did not want to use any conditioner....:)

I am working on a leak litter look, more importantly for the brown colored tanins.....

spxsk
04-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I usually get my fish to spawn by lowering the new water change water by several degrees. I have also done this and substituted RO water at that time as well, but have found that the water temp difference is usually enough to make it happen.

Adding Peat or more than usual peat to my filters softened the water and produced the tannins you are looking for as well. Softer wood driftwood also works, but you have to watch it as it tends to break down faster and sometimes fouls the water.

What species are you working on?

oscar-lover
04-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Right now...none....but mostly wanting to gather info, i knew were to get what in India.....I am looking forward to having Dario Sp, Killies and few Apistogramma's....:)