PDA

View Full Version : Air pump

SCOTT42
03-14-2010, 09:38 PM
How important is it to have a air pump on your tank? Ive got one but the bubbles arent that pleaseing to me. Do I really need this? Keep in mind that I do have a home made co2 in place at the moment and hope to have my pressureized system up and running in the next week.

Austin
03-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Surface agitation is where gasses are exchanged. If there is enough movement there then there is absolutely no reason for one. I only use them for sponge filters on my growouts/quaratine tanks fir additional filtration. My 300 only has the returns and 2 koralias. Air pumps are even less necessary on tanks with wet drys. All this said I can't comment on planted tanks with co2 because I know too much surface agitation can gas off the co2 too quickly for absorbtion.

FishDaddy
03-15-2010, 10:24 AM
i don't have an air pump on my 125, which has c02. haven't in a long time. watch your fish, if they are gasping at the surface after taking it out -put it back or adjust other parameters like temp. Higher temp means less dissolved O2 in the water.

Incaico
03-15-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't have have an air pump on any of my tanks unless it is a sponge filter. I thought most aquarists with planted tanks use canister filters to reduce O2 in their systems.

bcdudley
03-15-2010, 11:35 AM
It is not really about reducing o2, but keeping the co2 from outgassing. Surface agitation causes outgassing of the co2. The plants convert the co2 to o2 for your fish.
As far as an air pump, I do not run them on any of my tanks. On my non-planted tanks, I run a spray bar across the top that creates massive surface agitation. it does create alot of air bubbles, but they are evenly distributed and visually appealing, at least imo. I have not run an air pump in many years. I also keep my tanks overstocked (not advised) and my o2 levels are very high.

kewlkatdady
03-15-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't have an air pump on any of my tanks. My surface agitation comes for the returns on my filters.
Posted via Mobile Device