PDA

View Full Version : just curious... why so expensive????

PiMpPiStOl
03-08-2010, 06:23 PM
i saw at fish gallery, 4 freshwater bulbs on sale for 799... what the heck makes lights so expensive?? same with saltwater... i dont see how a light can cost so much. i see how they differ in effect or whatever, but i dont see why hundreds, or even thousands of dallars for a couple of bulbs. it doesnt make sense... id like to have some nice color in my tank without forking up so much.

i was at a fish place in austin, they had a planted guppy display, and some of the guppies looked AMAZING! all super shiny, and some metallic looking and rainbow, and we asked if they were on sale,and he said no, and pointed us to the ones that were on sale that looked ok, but not as good. i asked why, he said cuz the bazillion dollar bulbs.

why?

alta678
03-08-2010, 06:26 PM
This is an Andrew question.....;)

cichlidkeeper
03-08-2010, 06:26 PM
regular bulbs for your aquarium dont run near that much. a regular bulb costs around $10-15. there are special bulbs and what not, but for general fish viewing, regulars are fine

PiMpPiStOl
03-08-2010, 06:33 PM
i knwo about the regular ones. but why is it so different? why the extra dollars? the extra hundred-thousand dollars??

cichlidkeeper
03-08-2010, 06:33 PM
if they are metal halides, then they are going to be expensive, and at that price i bet thats what they were

OOwl
03-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Were they the new high-output LED lighting fixtures? If so, you're paying for the new technology and controllers. I saw a guy that did his own LED fixture and it was STUNNING. It had dawn to dusk cycles and moon phases programed into the controller. HO LED is the future of lighting on all types of aquariums. I can't afford it yet, but I plan to get them as soon as soon as prices come down some. I have two supplemental high-output LEDs on my reef tank and the corals LOVE them. They sparkle like Metal Halide without the heat and they supposedly last ten years. Exicting future for aquarium lighting!

iron
03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Just make yourself one! LEDS are easy to make. Oh, they are freakin expensive to. Around $3-6 a light. plus resistors, makes it a bazillion dollars before a diyer can get er done!

Austin
03-08-2010, 10:36 PM
It has to do with total light output(lumens), color temp(Kelvin) and the technology behind all of it (be it led, pc, mh, t-8,or t-5). If you dint have plants or a reef tank ignore it all. Home depot bulbs are much different for those reasons. I like to run a 10,000k and an actinic for showing off blues. If you want to show off greens go more for 6500k....

China8USA
03-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Once home depot carries T5 lighting.... we can all be much happier.:)

And I want a fixture too! not the under counter crap.

oscar-lover
03-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I am not a expert but i think they cost so much because of the spectrum of light they can produce like Austin mentioned in the earlier post....

For example you cannot run a reef tank /saltwater tank with a 10-15 watt night lamp because the live corals or other organisms that we keep in the tank require certain amount of light for them to grow and thrive......remember that we are trying to replicate the nature in a glass tank...

The same goes with high end planted tanks where they require heavy lighting for the plants to grow and reproduce, if not they just die on you....

If its for just normal viewing i would go for home depot lights....:)

Ashlee
03-09-2010, 04:48 PM
I thought it was known that prices were only high because we allow them to be?:confused:

In my store- when an item doesn't sell at "retail value", we keep lowering the price until that item becomes a steady purchase based on daily sales..
I assume that this isn't any different...?

Rather you have a lot of money to blow, or not- those lights definitely do not cost a grand to make... So, why pay that much for them? You're only adding to their daily sales and as a result, they continue to up the price because they know there are people out there that will give 1,000+ to have an aquarium light that promises perfect wattage, promotes this and that, :blahblah: when in all actuality- it does just the same as any old T5-9 bulb.. and quite possibly the same as a Home Depot light..

I can almost guarantee that your lighting system has nadda to do with the way your plants are growing, any light for a decent amount of time each day will do the trick. It likely doesn't have any effect on corals, I've grown quite a bit without any sort of special light.. We already know that fish can live without light (they probably won't be as happy) and that leaving your light on too long will promote algae growth no matter what kind of fancy casing you have around your light... Agreed?

SCOTT42
03-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Try these guys for your DIYers,

A-T lamps
720 Vally Ridge circle, #5
Lewisville, TX, 75057
Toll free phone 866-822-8527
Ask for BOB

I went there just last week and bought brand new, 2-48" T-5 6500k bulbs for 6.00 each, 2 -36" 10,000 k bulbs for 6.00 each, plus a ballast to run those 48" bulbs for 30.00 , plus they gave me for free some 18gage wire to wire up that ballast. In total tax and all i think I spent 62.00. And BOB was telling/showing me of some LED'S that they have for 6.00 each. It's a long drive for me but wellworth the trip in my mind.

tsunderl
03-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Ok guys and gals, thread has been cleaned up. Let's keep on subject and leave out negative comments and personal insults.

Thank you.

bluestar76
03-09-2010, 08:25 PM

A-T lamps
Lewisville, TX, 75057
Ask for BOB

I went there just last week and bought brand new, 2-48" T-5 6500k bulbs for 6.00 each, 2 -36" 10,000 k bulbs for 6.00 each, plus a ballast to run those 48" bulbs for 30.00 , plus they gave me for free some 18gage wire to wire up that ballast. In total tax and all i think I spent 62.00. And BOB was telling/showing me of some LED'S that they have for 6.00 each. It's a long drive for me but wellworth the trip in my mind.
Wow that seems like a great deal? Do you have pics of the ballast he sold you by any chance?

rolloffhill
03-09-2010, 08:43 PM

A-T lamps
Lewisville, TX, 75057
Ask for BOB

That's where I got all my DIY VHO stuff too.

Bob is a good guy and knows his stuff...;)

fishman76092
03-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Why does a BMW 335 cost 5x more than a Kia Rio?

Same answer.

SCOTT42
03-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Wow that seems like a great deal? Do you have pics of the ballast he sold you by any chance?

Ill try to get a pic posted, but ive been haveing troble geting my blackberry to load photoes on my computer. Give BOB a call and be sure to tell him its for an aquiriam and he will hook you up, alot of people from DFWmas go there and thats how I found out about them 2 years ago. I plan on going in a few weeks to get som LED's to add to my 18 watt pc thats on my 6 gallon jbj nano. What he had there would blind you if you looked directlly into them, so for another 40.-50.$ my little nano will be even brighter.

bluestar76
03-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Ill try to get a pic posted, but ive been haveing troble geting my blackberry to load photoes on my computer. Give BOB a call and be sure to tell him its for an aquiriam and he will hook you up, alot of people from DFWmas go there and thats how I found out about them 2 years ago. I plan on going in a few weeks to get som LED's to add to my 18 watt pc thats on my 6 gallon jbj nano. What he had there would blind you if you looked directlly into them, so for another 40.-50.$ my little nano will be even brighter.
Sounds like a great deal, I will hit it up when I get back from skiing next week.

iron
03-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Ok guys and gals, thread has been cleaned up. Let's keep on subject and leave out negative comments and personal insults.

Thank you.

You know, its a shame that T has to post a message like this. We are all passionate about the hobby and care a great deal about what it is we are trying to achieve. I have been so impressed with the vast majority of people on this forum. The helpful kind way most everyone is approached. I am glad I missed whatever ramblings went on.

cichlidkeeper
03-10-2010, 05:19 PM
same here. i came back and saw that, but didnt see what went on. glad i missed out

China8USA
03-11-2010, 08:27 PM
http://animals.timduru.org/dirlist/sheep/BighornSheep_06-2MaleAdults-Compete-BumpingHeads.jpg

Travis_Conklin
03-12-2010, 05:08 AM
Well I am going to jump in here...

Maybe a little late but I will drop my :02:

The reason lights are so expensive at the LFS is they have to pay there over head, just like any other retail business.

Now if you order online, you can save money, but you don't have a person standing there to answer your questions about the product you are buying.

Then there comes technology you are always going to pay the most money for the newest technology right.

Do your homework ask questions, like you are, make a financial decision which fits you.

pope
03-23-2010, 09:28 AM

It's a ballast... it's a square with wires coming out of it. roflmao The better question is did he get the water/moisture resistant end caps with it.

UncleSamsPuppet
03-23-2010, 11:05 AM
i knwo about the regular ones. but why is it so different? why the extra dollars? the extra hundred-thousand dollars??

Anything with a "specialty" label or in a "specialty" store (as in LFS) will be marked up higher than other retailer locations.

Even if the labels say the exact same specs, one at the LFS would be 10-20% higher (just because they can). Same as if you went to a "Light Bulbs Only" store. You'll probably pay a little more for say a T8 tube, but typically they'll have 2-5x the options (if the others even have options).

Sometimes you're also paying for the name... GE, Osram Sylvania, Philips, etc. will be a few $$$ more than the same bulb, but non-brand named.

bluestar76
03-23-2010, 04:53 PM
It's a ballast... it's a square with wires coming out of it. roflmao The better question is did he get the water/moisture resistant end caps with it.

Actually a pic can show several things like is it enclosed? Does it come with legs or is it just a bare ballast like you would find at HD/Lowes.