PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Tanks - Maintaining temperature

oscar-lover
02-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Hello everybody.....i had this question in my mind and i think its time i ask it out here...pretty soon i will be starting off with couple of tanks..

This one is for hobbyists with multiple tanks

How do you keep your cichlid tanks warm, is having individual heaters for every tank the only option...

Thanks
Ravi

cichlidkeeper
02-26-2010, 02:23 PM
some people heat the room they are in, but that is only practical if all of your tanks are in one room, and you have a lot of them. for under 10 tanks, go with individual heating...

iron
02-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Indoors, I dont heat them. Outdoors, I have submersibles in each tank. 4 in the big one and 2 in the smaller one. Enough wattage going to short circuit the city.

greeneyed
02-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Indoors, I dont heat them. Outdoors, I have submersibles in each tank. 4 in the big one and 2 in the smaller one. Enough wattage going to short circuit the city.Not sure what kind of fish you keep, but this could stress alot of fish out badly. Making them susceptible to disease. I also do not know the temperature you keep your home, but would be expensive to keep it i the low 80's some fish require.

oscar-lover
03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys, just the converstion of increasing the room temperature to 80's started a serious argument with my better half :D about the electricity expenses involved....i guess i will stick to individual heating...:exactly: or maybe just keep coldwater fishes...

iron
03-05-2010, 01:56 PM
My tanks are a constant 76 degrees. I have had any issues due to indoor temp. Outside, thats another story. I do have heaters in the tanks set below like 75 degrees. I rarely if ever see one kick on.

glostik
03-05-2010, 03:21 PM
I dont use heaters in any of my tanks and I keep very expensive fish.

This does not cause stress - because the temperature in your house isnt going to drop like a rock in a short amount of time.

What causes stress is SUDDEN drops in temperature - not 1 degree an hour

niko
03-05-2010, 03:23 PM
I will spill some beans and unveil a true "fish room secret":

Get a dehumidifier.

$60-100 off craigslist. Don't get the same model from HD or Lowe's for $300. People buy these things and never use them so they sell them practically brand new.

The dehumidifier will reduce the humidity. Maybe you like mold and don't care. Still get one, here's why:

In winter the dehumidifier will run more often and remove more water from the air. While working it will maintain the temperature of a 12x12 room at about 85. 24/7.

In summer the thing will work much less. If the house is so-so insulated, like most suburban houses are, you will still have about 85 degrees room temperature when outside it's higher than that.

The interesting thing about a dehumidifier is that it adjusts it's workload based on the room temperature. You will virtually get constant 85 degrees room temperature year round + 65% humidity (or whatever you set it at, but don't go lower than 65, the unit will run non-stop and you don't need less than 65% humidity anyway).

No need for heaters unless you want the water temp above 75F.

Electric bill will jump about $30-40 a month.

--Nikolay

oscar-lover
03-05-2010, 07:55 PM
That was very informative Nikolay, thanks for sharing your secret with us.........i knew there had to be an alternative solution..:)

iron
03-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Dead on with the dehumidifier. I went to Bristlenosedudes, and he runs one. A huge difference between it and the outdoors. Didnt seem like it ran that hard for the area he has it in. Sure did keep the room warm though. Temp spikes are very dangerous and you can easily lose fish. When I bring up a tank, I go really really slow. Like kicking ich butt, run a air stone, and slowly bring it up. Once the temp hits 87, the ich is gone. My fish gasp and gasped until I put a air stone in there. Now they are stable and dont need a stone.

The savings over heaters is huge as well. I ran 4 heaters in my 160 and 3 in my 55 in the garage. I paid at least $200 more a month in the winter. Makes me think about a dehumidifier as well.