PDA

View Full Version : Moving aquariums, felt pads, ceramic tile, wheels, etc.

pitterpatti
02-24-2010, 09:13 PM
I will be moving a couple 75 gallon tanks and stands this weekend, and setting one up on ceramic tile. Noticed tonite that some of the tile in the dining are has fine cracks in it. cannot feel the crack but it is visible.

Do I dare set up a 75 gallon on that? what if I put a piece of 4'x2' plywood on it first then the stand. Would that help distribute the weight and not cause a total break on the tiles?

really wanted one in that area. Maybe felt or foam under the stand on the floor?

Second tank I think I will put on carpet again. I use plastic I get from like Joann fabrics, that thick clear vinyl. it is about $8. and then lay carpet tiles on that, then the stand.

I KEEP HEARING ABOUT PUTTING THE SLIDERS UNDER THE STANDS SO THEY CAN BE EASILY MOVED. ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THOSE? WHAT ABOUT PUTTING TANKS ON WHEELS, SO THEY CAN BE MOVED. HOW WOULD YOU DO THAT OR MAKE THAT OR BUY THAT TYPE SET UP?

Took some Claritin D one night and zing, zing, overfilled the tank. So much work to take the water out, and tank off stand and turn stand up on end and dry carpet. would love to just be able to move it and keep it off the floor. Anyone?
thanks
Patti

markstanfill
02-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Being that the weight of the aquarium is so broad, you have to understand that a 75 gallon aquarium is no bigger an object to the floor as a full washing machine or a loaded down deep freezer. Do you fret about a small crack in a tile in your utility room? Of course not. Dont worry about it for the tank either. As far as sliders or wheels, I have no light to shed on that. But wheels sound like a bad idea. Especially if you have childeren.

cichlidkeeper
02-24-2010, 09:29 PM
a 75 gallon tank will give you 800+ pounds of weight....

juice04
02-24-2010, 11:12 PM
I have the furniture moving "sliders" under my 75 gallon aquarium. I put 8 of them under ther to take the load. I have slid the aquarium and stand pretty easily with gravel and 1/3 of tank. Works pretty well.

pitterpatti
02-25-2010, 06:18 AM
hey Juice, what kid of sliders do you use? I picked up Sliding Robots, and they are gray plastic with the black foam like stuff on the top. So the gray plastic is what will slide on the tile, or carpet. Is this like what you have? or is there something else out there, better?
thanks

greeneyed
02-25-2010, 09:22 AM
a 75 gallon tank will give you 800+ pounds of weight....True, but that is dispersed over 6+ square foot. Essentially 134 lbs fer square foot. Would you be concerned about putting your feet together and standing on top of the tile for an extended period?

TanyaQ2000
02-25-2010, 09:39 AM
i wanted my husband to put casters on my stand when he built it but he refused as he believes that it would lessen the stability of the structure and also cause the wooden stand to "rack" as that is a lot of weight being pushed around

by the way, dojos are doing great and my 3 have mingled well. can't wait to get them in the 125. thanks again...let me know if the other loaches are still available or if #10 shows up during the move :hehe:

juice04
02-25-2010, 10:29 AM
I used these: http://www.magicsliders.com/
Sell at HD or Lowes. Did come handy when I got about 1 gallon on the wood floor. I just shifted the aquarium over and wiped it up and shifted it back. I took out about 1/2 to 2/3 the water first though.

BODYDUB
02-26-2010, 09:12 AM
I've had my 100G on tile for the past 2 weeks without any problems thank god......

iron
02-26-2010, 09:35 AM
True, but that is dispersed over 6+ square foot. Essentially 134 lbs fer square foot. Would you be concerned about putting your feet together and standing on top of the tile for an extended period?
Only if said tile is atop plywood and 2x4s which are rotted. Sinking and sagging. Now over concrete? I would park a car on top of it and not fret.
If the floor sinks where I step. It needs to be replaced.