PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood-Safe for tank?

tmds3
02-24-2010, 04:53 PM
I got this piece of wood and was wondering if it would be safe for my tank(cichlids), so far I have power washed it and boiled it in bleach and water for about 2 hours, still need to boil it a few more times till I get clear water but was wondering what everyone's thoughts were before I went further.I know I still need to do some scrubbing as well to get any loose stuff off.
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt33/tmds3/DSCF2418.jpg
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt33/tmds3/DSCF2416.jpg
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt33/tmds3/DSCF2417.jpg

(http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt33/tmds3/?action=view&current=DSCF2418.jpg)

ayla
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
I think I would soak it for a loooong time in water and Prime/whatever dechlorinator you use after boiling in bleach.

I have seen driftwood in cichlid setups before, but haven't done it personally. I have never put driftwood in bleach before, even pieces collected from the lake. Did you do it to get the tannins out faster?

tmds3
02-24-2010, 05:22 PM
To get tannins and to kill anything that might be living in or on the wood, figure I will boil it until the water stays clear, it is only slightly stained now, just a slight yellowish color

Typical Tony
02-24-2010, 06:06 PM
that looks like soft wood?

tmds3
02-24-2010, 06:11 PM
O.K I know nothing-nada-and squat about wood:confused:,so any help is appreciated, so how would I tell if it is soft or hard wood as I don't know what kind of tree this came from, and I don't want to spend time on a piece that would be lethal to my fishies since the Demasonis are not cheap.:eek:

cichlidkeeper
02-24-2010, 07:07 PM
while it can be used in a tank with demasoni, it will only make the water lower in pH. holey rock will look better and help keep the hardness/pH up. i would try to stay away from pieces that have that rough look, also. im not sure if it pertains to anything harmful, its just i wouldnt risk it.

alta678
02-24-2010, 07:21 PM
I would think you would be ok using it. Try it and see. I wouldn't think it would harm your fish after all you have put it through. I would do the soaking in Prime thing before putting it in my tank though. If you have crushed coral substrate or holey rock in there your ph should be ok.

BTW, that's a really cool piece of driftwood!

tmds3
02-24-2010, 07:24 PM
I would think you would be ok using it. Try it and see. I wouldn't think it would harm your fish after all you have put it through. I would do the soaking in Prime thing before putting it in my tank though. If you have crushed coral substrate or holey rock in there your ph should be ok.

BTW, that's a really cool piece of driftwood!
Thanks, figure I will boil it until the water is clear and then mabe try in my 30 gallon and see what happens.

cichlidkeeper
02-24-2010, 07:25 PM
what lake did you pick that up at? ill get some DW for you next time i go out. your probably down the street...

tmds3
02-24-2010, 07:29 PM
what lake did you pick that up at? ill get some DW for you next time i go out. your probably down the street...
Actually have a small creek,drainage ditch that runs behind my house and was out there looking, figured it couldn't be to bad since there are little fishies in the water.
Have been to Grapevine and Joe Pool with no luck whatsoever for finding any, was thinking about trying White Rock Lake if I was over there. Aslo tried Lake Arlington with no luck.

cichlidkeeper
02-24-2010, 07:31 PM
ive had awesome luck at bridgeport.... search DW for sale and you might be able to find the pieces....

Carg
02-24-2010, 07:32 PM
The softer bits will begin to fall off and as it sits in the tank it will smell (soft bits will rot). Lots of regular water changes.

May I recommend sanding/wiring brushing the soft looking & burnt bits off first?

cichlidkeeper
02-24-2010, 07:35 PM
found the thread http://www.dfwfishbox.com/forums/production/showthread.php?t=8047

tmds3
02-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Was going to do the wire brush thing to get all the loose bits off as there are still quite a bit left on there. As I am boiling it (outside) it smells pretty bad still

alta678
02-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Would power washing help get the softer/rotting bits off?

tmds3
02-24-2010, 08:04 PM
Would power washing help get the softer/rotting bits off?
Did that first and it did remove a bunch of the loose stuff but I am going to have to put a little elbow grease into it to get the rest off. I got another little piece but I think it might be pecan or cedar and dont want to take a chance on it.

BODYDUB
02-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Man, the only thing that scares me is that you used bleach to clean it up, much less let it soak in it. I don't know much about DW cleaning, but that doesn't seem like a good idea to me........

cichlidkeeper
02-26-2010, 09:21 AM
pretty much everyone uses bleach to clean stuff for aquariums. that is why they soak it in water with prime....

tmds3
02-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Man, the only thing that scares me is that you used bleach to clean it up, much less let it soak in it. I don't know much about DW cleaning, but that doesn't seem like a good idea to me........
Today I am going to start boiling it and using dechlorinator in the water, hope that will take care of everything

BODYDUB
02-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Hopefully the bleach didn't sink in too much.........

spxsk
02-26-2010, 12:53 PM
You are going to put a piece that big in a 30 Gallon tank? You are going to struggle to keep the pH up with that much wood in a tank that size. I know it would look super cool with your fish, but I think in the end, after all this work, you should buy another tank for your Damensoni and put some cool softer water, lower pH fish in with this nice piece of wood.

Just my $0.02 to help you down the road to MTS, but also to keep you from too much work for something you might not use as you intend.

tmds3
02-26-2010, 01:12 PM
You are going to put a piece that big in a 30 Gallon tank? You are going to struggle to keep the pH up with that much wood in a tank that size. I know it would look super cool with your fish, but I think in the end, after all this work, you should buy another tank for your Damensoni and put some cool softer water, lower pH fish in with this nice piece of wood.

Just my $0.02 to help you down the road to MTS, but also to keep you from too much work for something you might not use as you intend.
The piece is actually for a 55 tank that I am in the process of getting together(working on background today and tomorrow) was thinking about putting in the 30 with some cheap fish to see how it goes before putting in the 55,I have been scrubbing on it and it seems like pieces just keep coming off so it may not go in the tank at all, just not sure yet. Thanks for all the input on this.

oscar-lover
03-05-2010, 08:08 PM
I would say fill up the tank and dump the driftwoods in there and forget about it for couple of weeks....get some guppies or red eye tetras from Petsmart and leave it in there.....eventually whatever rots can be removed ..........with so much wood i would think about keeping SA/CA fishes in them and not Malawis, they require higher PH...