PDA

View Full Version : I'm a dork but I am excited...

FlamandalayBay
02-18-2010, 07:25 PM
I just wanted to tell someone who really cares, that today I bought my frist half-moon betta. I have loved bettas since I was very young and at one point I had a many a small tank with a betta in each one. I didn't know back then that there were really different types. I just picked ones I really liked n took em home. I think I recall having 15 diff ones at one point. I even had a trisected 3 gallon with one in each slot. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would get so dorked out over one betta. I think it must be secretly symbolic of a bigger issue in my subconscious but who cares cuz I really adore the lil fella. will try to post pic(s) soon...:loser2:

guppyfreak2
02-18-2010, 07:28 PM
congrats i love my bettas to

tsunderl
02-18-2010, 07:34 PM
They're addictive. :o

ayla
02-18-2010, 07:37 PM
They're addictive. :o

You can say that again. Every time I see one with a color combo I like I have to force myself not to buy it. I can't believe there's only one in our house right now.

EAST_TX_RN
02-18-2010, 07:51 PM
I understand how you feel. I have just one right now, Purple Dude, and he thinks he owns the 118 LFABN tank he is in! They have quite the personality!
Congrats on your buy!

cichlidkeeper
02-18-2010, 07:52 PM
i like bettas, theyre cool little fish. Sharon, i love your betta. he is such great contrast to the huge tank

iron
02-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Quote: I think it must be secretly symbolic of a bigger issue in my subconscious but who cares cuz I really adore the lil fella. will try to post pic(s) soon..

x2 roflmaoroflmaoroflmaoCongrats on the Beta. lol

FlamandalayBay
02-18-2010, 08:50 PM
http://www.dfwfishbox.com/forums/production/picture.php?albumid=555&pictureid=5598

FlamandalayBay added 0 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

http://www.dfwfishbox.com/forums/production/picture.php?albumid=555&pictureid=5595

FlamandalayBay added 1 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

Well I tried and with a crap cam n the betta still in take out cup...you get the idea

alta678
02-19-2010, 06:59 AM
I too love bettas and have a very hard time passing up those I like. I THINK I only have (counts on fingers...) umm, nine? :o

UncleSamsPuppet
02-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Congrats!!!

You know us crazy fish nerds will get excited with you lol!

TheCanuck
02-19-2010, 10:53 AM
I got one toooo!

Though he cant go in the ten gallon i want him to , he gets beat up by my girlfriends pea puffer lol.

alta678
02-20-2010, 05:33 AM
Yep! Those fin nippers just LOVE bettas!

pam916
02-20-2010, 05:39 AM
I love bettas, I saw some beautiful ones at Aquatic Wonderland last week. It takes a lot of will power to not buy them.

BODYDUB
02-21-2010, 12:28 PM
I love bettas and my kids have four of them. I use to breed them when I was a teenager and sell them to local kids. Everytime I'm at any pet store I always look at the bettas...........

FlamandalayBay
02-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Well, I am excited again! I went out n bought me a few tank starters for the planted I am working on and also got sum flourish after heavy persuasian from sum of you guys. I have had the lil plants in there with my driftwood for over two weeks I believe and finally took the cycle plunge. My poor betta on the other hand is still in his big cup he came in. The stupid lil tank I had ready for him decided to leak so am back to square one. Gotta get to my crap in the parentals garage. My mother has a Christmas deco obsession so ever since I moved out I have been trying to get into the garage to get my fish equip only to find road block after road block of(you guessed it) Christmas Crud. It's cold but I think I am going to have to get out there n try again tonight...
I know most of y'all hate Petsmart but when working two jobs ya gotta go where ya can when ya can and they are about to put their remaining plants on sale as they are switching to the pre packed ones(which I abhore)... Just a lil FYI-This is GP of course

cichlidkeeper
02-23-2010, 08:50 PM
those pre packaged plants are crap most definitely. some of them are ok, but they sell a type of fern in there that is not aquatic and will rot in your tank....

FlamandalayBay
02-23-2010, 09:22 PM
those pre packaged plants are crap most definitely. some of them are ok, but they sell a type of fern in there that is not aquatic and will rot in your tank....
Yep matter of fact most of the ones I have seen are not true aquatic plants at all. I have even seen types of succulents in those stupid things...:lame:

FlamandalayBay
03-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I put my betta boy in the near 40 gal tank with the starter danios and they are doing great together. I do think that he does get a lil tired sometimes from having to go up n down and up n down in the tank. I was leary at first because I know what spazoids danios can be and was afraid of the nippage that might happen. He is spuuuuunky tho! even if they get about 5 inches from him he'll take out after them. They have suprisingly been rather fun to watch in there. Never a dull moment.:)

FlamandalayBay added 2 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

The unidentified plants that are in there are still doing pretty good as well. I followed a couple of you good peoples advice and use a lil flourish from time to time but all I have is one rinky-dinky 10 dollar strip light from walkmart n all is good...I wish I could identify plants better.

rolloffhill
03-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Post a pic of the plant, surely someone can help ya out identifying it.

FlamandalayBay
03-10-2010, 08:10 PM
I will get my cam back into commission and do just that. In the meantime, it has med-long thin stalks and round leaves. Like a money wart or something...

bluestar76
03-10-2010, 08:46 PM

I bought an amazon sword in one of those for $3,99, well I thought it was one. Turns out it was 3 plants in there. All three are currently flourishing in my tank. I know a lot of people dont like swords because of how big they get, but 3 for 4 bucks is a god deal. You just have to be careful of what they are selling because a lot of them are terristrial, like mondo grass.

Just like anything else, do your homework and you will be ok.

FlamandalayBay
03-14-2010, 05:59 PM
I bought an amazon sword in one of those for $3,99, well I thought it was one. Turns out it was 3 plants in there. All three are currently flourishing in my tank. I know a lot of people dont like swords because of how big they get, but 3 for 4 bucks is a god deal. You just have to be careful of what they are selling because a lot of them are terristrial, like mondo grass.

Just like anything else, do your homework and you will be ok.
Speaking of swords, I bought a "micro sword" pot today n was wondering if anyone could provide any insider tips on them n you have a var of sword so I fig I would start with you ;) So tag ur it

bluestar76
03-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Speaking of swords, I bought a "micro sword" pot today n was wondering if anyone could provide any insider tips on them n you have a var of sword so I fig I would start with you ;) So tag ur it
When you plant it you should separate it out and plant it in plugs so it will spread. It needs water flow on it or it will develop algae quickly. I have some and it has grown but hasn't really spread into the carpet I would have hoped.

From what I understand it doesn't grow quickly and I was considering removing it from my tank.

FlamandalayBay
03-17-2010, 08:28 PM
when I worked the potting material off the roots I discovered that they were entwined in an almost perfect circle. Woven so tightly I couldn't get all the gunk off and cannot imagine trying to get the roots to sep. enough to scatter them. they r sorta tucked under the edge of my drift wood. the other stuff looks to me to be moneywart and is doing great(knock on wood). I repositioned it the other day and it had really rooted nicely.