PDA

View Full Version : Lemon tetra question

chuck_w
02-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Ok all you tetra enthusiasts, I have a lemon tetra question. I just inherited about 25-30 of these fish and I'm trying to decide if I will keep them or not. First of all, they do not have much color. They are basically silver. Any recommendations on how to reach their max color potential? Do they really have very much yellow even at max color? Thanks for any suggestions.

jabbott
02-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Mine were tinted yellow, but never got as yellow as I would have liked. I had 10 or 12 in a planted 75. Their best attribute (I realize now) was that they swam mid-level in the tank. I moved them out and got rummy-nose tetras, which spend most of their time a few inches from the bottom.

alta678
02-17-2010, 04:35 PM
I love lemon tetras. They do not have a strong color but a delicate lemon yellow hue. If you decide to ditch them, PM me.

TxAquaGardens
02-18-2010, 05:15 AM
I got my lemons from jabbott...they are doing great btw. They go very well with all the other tetras in my 100 gal community tank. If you decide to rehome any of them I would be interested in a few more as well.

jabbott
02-18-2010, 07:52 AM
I got my lemons from jabbott...they are doing great btw. They go very well with all the other tetras in my 100 gal community tank. If you decide to rehome any of them I would be interested in a few more as well.

Glad to hear that!

Tinyfish
02-19-2010, 03:13 PM
If you want to re-home them please let me know. I like tetra's.

oscar-lover
02-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Lemon tetras arent that blingy like neons or cardinals or glowlites...but they do have this beautiful bright yellow dorsal and anal fin......they do well and bring out the colors in tetras only tank...if the water is soft with a PH of 5-6 and few plants here and there and lots of driftwood you can also get their amazing red coloration in their eyes.....

I had 8 of them in my Tetra only tank with lots of other types of tetras....when the males show off at each other its just amazing to watch...

spxsk
02-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Lemon tetras arent that blingy like neons or cardinals or glowlites...but they do have this beautiful bright yellow dorsal and anal fin......they do well and bring out the colors in tetras only tank...if the water is soft with a PH of 5-6 and few plants here and there and lots of driftwood you can also get their amazing red coloration in their eyes.....

I had 8 of them in my Tetra only tank with lots of other types of tetras....when the males show off at each other its just amazing to watch...
Agreed, they need lower pH and softer water and in some cases higher temps than what you might keep other fish.

jabbott
02-24-2010, 02:49 PM
I had them in an 80-degree planted tank with drift wood and CO2 lowering the pH to 6 or 6.2. They were healthy and active but may be happier in RO water.

Tinyfish
02-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I saw a couple of these fish at Just For Pets. They had quite a bit of color to them. I don't know what their water parameters are though.

markstanfill
03-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Vitamins. Vary their diet with fresh/frozen foods, tropical and spirulina flakes, and about 2 times a week use some kent zoe vitamins liberally on the food and let soak. My fish brighten up from pickup in a few weeks when on a vaired and vitamin soaked diet. imo.

oscar-lover
03-05-2010, 08:18 PM
freshly hatched brine shrimps........they love them.....i used to feed my tetras at dusk with these as soon as i turned the tank lights on.....there would be a feeding frenzy........:)