PDA

View Full Version : Storing a 75 gallon tank

pitterpatti
02-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I am moving and am taking down two of my three tanks. Putting up that one I am keeping, after the walk through :hehe:

Just wondering if I can store my 75 and 55 tanks I am taking down in the two car garage. will be closed up, is detached and will have no air conditioning. Wlll that damage my seals?

Next place will be my own home, in a couple years, and I will be wanting those fish tanks running them, and even more :exactly:
but until then, will these keep?
thanks
Patti

Blueovalfish
02-13-2010, 11:22 PM
from what I have heard, no, the texas summer heat will damage the silicone.They need to be kept inside of a house with heat and AC.

alta678
02-14-2010, 02:13 AM
Can you keep water in them in the garage? Change it periodically?

tsunderl
02-14-2010, 05:15 AM
Those sizes are easily found so if it were me, would sell those and then replace them once I'm settled.
Posted via Mobile Device

bristlenosedude
02-14-2010, 05:41 AM
I sold a friend 4 Oceanic 24 x 15 tanks in the mid 80's. They sat empty on his covered patio for 20+ years, he never put a drop of water in them. Got them back a few years ago, gravel still in them just like when he got them. Cleaned them up and haven't lost a drop of water yet. They are well built tanks but I think other brands may be tougher than people give them credit for as well.

Kat
02-14-2010, 07:24 AM
My older Oceanics went thru several storage periods & I had no problems with them. But then Craigslist didn't exist in order to sell/rebuy used setups. Good luck with the move.

Joe Reborn
02-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Oceanics are made to last though.

flamenco-t
02-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Fill it with water. You'd never have to worry about a running tanks for years. The sun and the dry air are what really damaged silicone.

I have a tank that I have stored for 2 years...I kept them all full of water (I top them off every 3-4 months or so). This is a good way to get them clean when you're ready to set it up, just hose them off and your tank will be as good as the day you put away.

stan

pitterpatti
02-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Okay, I sold it and fish to go in it too :hehe:

Sollo, you needed more tanks and more fish, right roflmao

I have decided to keep my cichlids, the orange parrots, and those two white convict - parrot mixes. I just cannot let them go. Will have to hide the 55 in the closet (closet goes along a whole wall) and just leave the door open, once the landlord sees how cool and nice and well kept my 75 is, out in plain sight, surprise, then I will bring this one out of hiding (that is the plan) :exactly:

Thanks for all the input.
Patti

kewlkatdady
02-14-2010, 12:22 PM
tell the landloard to stay the hell outta you home...

problem solved...

if that don't work...change the locks.

Venom SS
02-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Worst case scenario, reseal them when youre ready to use them again. Aquarium silicone is cheap and fairly easy to apply.