PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for fish room? heating ect

etexer
02-09-2010, 04:47 PM
I am about to convert my 2 car garage into a full fish room to expand my breeding stock. Square tubing metal racks with 10, 20, 29 and 55 gal tanks with larger tanks were they fit. I need ideas for heating the room. I will use a window A/C unit for cooling during the summer. I have 120 plugs all the way around and a 220 under one window. I think the walls are insulated but I still need to insulate the ceiling in the attic. My house is all electric so at this time I have no gas or propane. I guess I could get a propane tank if need be. Any ideas? Keep in mind cost is a factor as always. I still need to clean out the garage and put down floor paint but its been so cold I cant do anything until I get heat out there.

I was thinking of hosting a fishbox GTG BBQ when its done as well. I know its a drive for most of yall but hey it would be good food drink and company! Let me know what yall think

Thanks for the thoughts in advance!

I will try to post pics of the progress.

Blueovalfish
02-09-2010, 04:49 PM
the outside wall in the garage will not be insulated. Only the walls that are shared with the house are.

kewlkatdady
02-09-2010, 04:51 PM
do you think baseboard heaters would work?

that would probably be the easiest install.

etexer
02-09-2010, 05:28 PM
the outside wall in the garage will not be insulated. Only the walls that are shared with the house are.

Ill have to check. I think I may have had them insulate the outside walls when I had the garage added on with the thought that I would put the window A/C unit in. Thats why I had them put the 220 plug under the window on the back wall.

etexer added 0 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

do you think baseboard heaters would work?

that would probably be the easiest install.

I dont know what a baseboard heater is :confused:

yim11
02-09-2010, 05:43 PM
I've seen some garage fish rooms that didn't utilize a main heater but instead relied on heating the water in the tanks. In those cases the tanks had some sort of insulation on sides/back/bottom, and there was a space heater in the garage to keep it from being too cold.

HTHs,
-jim

greeneyed
02-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I believe Phil's garage is maintained by the tanks and a dehumidifier...?
Maybe....:Smoker:....since then....

bristlenosedude
02-09-2010, 07:03 PM
I have 1 bay of 3 car garage for my fish room. Yes, I do use a dehumidifier to heat the whole room, not a single tank heater for 39 tanks. I had to add a little supplement during the recent real cold for 1 day. It works really well plus I have been keeping the water from the catch pan for pleco water changes. I do have 1 wall uninsulated but don't seem to have any real problems due to that. I do have all the outlets on ground fault breakers and plugs just in case I over load something.

etexer
02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
I will have to look into the dehumidifier

ElijahTurtle
02-11-2010, 09:26 PM
I had thought of using a space heater under my shelves in the garage & shielding the shelves in my garage on the back with foam sheet insulation & creating a plexiglass door with 4'X8' sheets of plexi that covered the whole front. That way the only space that would need heating would be the shelves with the clear front door. Plexi is alot better at insulating than glass so it would be somewhat efficient in holding the heat in around the tanks. Then you would not have to heat the whole garage to Tropical proportions. ;)

etexer
02-12-2010, 12:27 AM
I had thought of using a space heater under my shelves in the garage & shielding the shelves in my garage on the back with foam sheet insulation & creating a plexiglass door with 4'X8' sheets of plexi that covered the whole front. That way the only space that would need heating would be the shelves with the clear front door. Plexi is alot better at insulating than glass so it would be somewhat efficient in holding the heat in around the tanks. Then you would not have to heat the whole garage to Tropical proportions. ;)

I kindda want the whole garage to be Tropical proportions. I hate being cold and it will be wall to wall floor to ceiling tanks soon so I dont thing the plexy would work. Good idea though if I was only going to have one ore two racks.

ElijahTurtle
02-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Yeah that's cool, I don't think I could survive in a room that was nearly 80 degrees.

DiscusD
02-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Well a big question is what kind of fish are you thinking of keeping in there.
Which means how warm the room needs to be. If your talking Discus then it will need to be rather warm like 84 degrees or so. But most fish are just fine in the lower 70's. If your talking the lower 70's a dehumidifier would be just fine. I use a dehumidifier and my fish room stays in the 80's.
D'Wyatt

kewlkatdady
02-14-2010, 12:13 PM
I dont know what a baseboard heater is :confused:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=baseboard+heater:hehe:

Venom SS
02-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Attached garage? If so, just extend your duct work off of an existing duct and install a vent or two in the ceiling of the garage. It might be near impossible to keep it warm without adding some insulation though. Might have to add some of that sheet type insulation custom cut to the garage door panels and and some weather stripping to really seal the room up.

iron
02-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Isnt your door insulated as well Phil? I have nothing but water heaters in my tank. If they cant keep up I toss another heater in. Usually, it pretty easy to maintain. I only have 2 tanks in the garage total gals is 160+ and 55 gal.

etexer
02-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Well a big question is what kind of fish are you thinking of keeping in there.
Which means how warm the room needs to be. If your talking Discus then it will need to be rather warm like 84 degrees or so. But most fish are just fine in the lower 70's. If your talking the lower 70's a dehumidifier would be just fine. I use a dehumidifier and my fish room stays in the 80's.
D'Wyatt

Mostly Africans but am about to go pick up 25 discus so there will be alot of different fish.

etexer added 1 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

Attached garage? If so, just extend your duct work off of an existing duct and install a vent or two in the ceiling of the garage. It might be near impossible to keep it warm without adding some insulation though. Might have to add some of that sheet type insulation custom cut to the garage door panels and and some weather stripping to really seal the room up.

I did think about doing that. I am going to insulate the top either way. The garage doors is another pain. I will need to seal them off some how and try to insulate them.

alta678
02-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Seems like hanging a heavy tarp in front of the garage doors would help insulate to some degree in the winter and could be removed in the summer when you may want to open the doors to cool it down a bit. Even a padded tarp or quilt.... You can put large grommets on the top edge and hang it on a pole or series of nails.

etexer
02-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Seems like hanging a heavy tarp in front of the garage doors would help insulate to some degree in the winter and could be removed in the summer when you may want to open the doors to cool it down a bit. Even a padded tarp or quilt.... You can put large grommets on the top edge and hang it on a pole or series of nails.

Thats a good idea and it would be east to remove and put back up

flamenco-t
02-15-2010, 09:35 AM
I will have to look into the dehumidifier

Dehumidifier will run your electricity bills through the roof. For a fish room, look into getting an air exchanger. It cost a bit more in the beginning but you'll use A LOT LESS electricity in the short and long run.

For heating, just heat up the whole room. For insulations around the wall, build a false INSULATED walls in front of your existing walls. Put 2x4 frame together, place insulations in the center, covered up with drywall and tape it. You'll nail the "false walls" to your existing wall.

Stan