PDA

View Full Version : tank vs tap params...

kewlkatdady
02-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Tank-
0.0- ammo
0.0- nitrite
10 ppm nitrate
214.8 ppm- gh
143.2 ppm- kh
8.0- ph

Tap-
1.0ppm- ammo

161.1ppm-gh
143.2ppm- kh
7.8- ph

The tank readings were taken within 2 hours of a 50% water change.
I do not buffer my tank water with anything.
I just use prime.

My reaction-
even ammo in your tap water will not give you a ammo spike IF YOU HAVE A STRONG BIO COLONY.
sand is great for keeping nitrAtes down.

My gh/kh readings are a little higher vs tap because of the Holey Rock in my tank.

Austin
02-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Agreed that 1ppm ammonia is nothing for an established tank. Sand can actually make your nitrates worse. Can, not will.

kewlkatdady
02-09-2010, 09:33 AM
I disagree on the sand statement...
My nitrates were 60+ when I had crushed coral...even after and big water change and intense gravel vac.

with sand most of the detris sits on top which makes it easier to find its way back into the water column to be removed by the filters.

why do you think sand make nitrAtes worse?

flamenco-t
02-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Actually sand doesn't do anything to nitrates, It's just so happen that when you have a sand bed or gravel bed, a lot of poop (acid) can be trapped in there causing a higher nitrate reading since they're not being removed during water changes or gravel vac.

You can eliminate this by having a bare bottom or aggresively vacuum your sand or gravel bed.

Sand can actually help keeping your tank clean since it's uniform in shape and size creating a solid dense that won't trapped poop deep down, unlike gravel bed. With sand, for themost part, you'll only need to vacuum the top layer

kewlkatdady
02-09-2010, 11:09 AM
yeah I actually will turn the filters off a few minutes before doing my water change....

empty a little water then refill with the python into the sand...causing a sand storm so the speak...

this releases any gas build up and get most of the trapped debtris up into the water column...

let everything settle for 30 minutes or so...

then drain the tank and vacuum the top of the sand...

this does 2 things...
its prevent the dangerous gas buildup in the sand and just keeps everything good and stirred up.