PDA

View Full Version : Tetraodon nigroviridis

FlamandalayBay
02-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Would it be a bad idea to mix Ceylon Puffers(up to 6" and semi-aggressive) with Bumble Bee Gobies(1.75" and aggressive)? I am trying to fin cool combos of Brackish river fish. Any and all suggestions are welcome as always!:hehe:

dallas1scholar
02-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I wish I could give you advice. I've been wondering if I should add a green spotted puffer to my tank. Currently I house 2 oscars, 1 jack demspey, 1 festae, 1 convict. I heard they need to be eventually put into salt water but puffers great looking fish! Good luck on your thread, I will keep an eye on this one.

FlamandalayBay
02-06-2010, 08:50 PM
I wish I could give you advice. I've been wondering if I should add a green spotted puffer to my tank. Currently I house 2 oscars, 1 jack demspey, 1 festae, 1 convict. I heard they need to be eventually put into salt water but puffers great looking fish! Good luck on your thread, I will keep an eye on this one.

I don't think I would rec putting any puffer with oscars. That would almost be like putting an alien from Mars on Earth and expecting them to all play well together...IMHO

cichlidkeeper
02-06-2010, 08:57 PM
GSP= oscar lunch....

dallas1scholar
02-06-2010, 09:01 PM
GSP= oscar lunch....

LOL. Please forgive a newbie...Thanks for saving me 10 bux!lol That's why I love fishbox, cus I can ask retarded questions and I can't hear you guys laugh at me!hahaha

cichlidkeeper
02-06-2010, 09:02 PM
lol, its all good. we're glad to help newbs avoid mistakes, its like a drug, we have to keep helping :D

FlamandalayBay
02-06-2010, 09:12 PM
LOL. Please forgive a newbie...Thanks for saving me 10 bux!lol That's why I love fishbox, cus I can ask retarded questions and I can't hear you guys laugh at me!hahaha

AWWWW! I would never laugh or make fun of anyone for asking questions! There is only one way to learn!!!

FlamandalayBay added 10 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

What bugs me is how most forums I have read re: "green spotted puffers" are a little confusing to everyone involved. I feel that it is so important to involve scientific names in the hobby. Just on one site alone I read of two different referrals to Green Spotted Puffers and they both had different temperments, food reqmnts, SCIENTIFIC NAMES, and sz potenial.
I know this much: the one in the subject box of this thread is the semi-aggressive version that reaches about 6" in sz etc
the other is Tetraodon Nigrifilis and apparently only reaches about 3 inches and a is a peaceful omnivore :confuzeld:
Ahhhhh! So much data and so little time!
At anyrate I am thinking about setting up a brack. tank with celebes rainbows, orange chromides knight gobies and the Tetraodon Nigrifilis with maybe a sailfin or lyretail molly or two...just for color haha

JMatthew
02-06-2010, 10:52 PM
GSP= oscar lunch....

Might not be the most appetizing of lunch, though. They DO have spines when they puff up and as I under can be poisonous to fish. Might be more than just a $10 lesson.

On the other hand, depending on the size of the Oscar, the table might turn. That nasty beak could well take some nice chunks out of the Oscar!

FishDaddy
02-07-2010, 03:31 AM
try these puffers:
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/C_Travancoricus/

FlamandalayBay
02-07-2010, 11:19 AM
try these puffers:
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/C_Travancoricus/
absolutely gorgeous but are strictly freshwater rather than brackish. And:
http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/
However I think I will make a smaller tank for a quad of these guys! Great idea! Do you have any?:cool:

FishDaddy
02-07-2010, 12:24 PM
actually, I have two. I've been thinking of rehoming them, want them? 10 for the pair. And yes, they are strictly freshwater.

FlamandalayBay
02-07-2010, 12:47 PM
actually, I have two. I've been thinking of rehoming them, want them? 10 for the pair. And yes, they are strictly freshwater.
Sure would love them! the only prob is I will be just starting a tank for them today so I guess it'd depend on how long you are willing to hold on to them. Male/female?

cichlidkeeper
02-07-2010, 02:28 PM
other than cichlids, i stay with common names. i should probably use the latin names more often, but it isnt totally necessary for quick advice...

FishDaddy
02-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Sure would love them! the only prob is I will be just starting a tank for them today so I guess it'd depend on how long you are willing to hold on to them. Male/female?

just whenever. I think they are both males, I'll take a closer look. It's very uncommon to find a female.

FlamandalayBay
02-07-2010, 08:41 PM
other than cichlids, i stay with common names. i should probably use the latin names more often, but it isnt totally necessary for quick advice...
See I feel very differently about this as like I stated above there are two referrals to the same common name and they are two totally different puffers. To people who don't really research well that could really pose a prob. "Sure, they'd be great in a community tank" and then they mow the fins off of everything insight. I think ya get the idea.:hehe:

FlamandalayBay added 2 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

just whenever. I think they are both males, I'll take a closer look. It's very uncommon to find a female.
Well, FishDaddy I have been working tanks all day. I finally got them ready except for the 40...Now I just need a few starter fish n plants here n there n I will be set...not all at once of course :hehe:
Daniel says you live REALLY far away from me...Yikes! KIT though

Dr. Awkward
02-07-2010, 08:59 PM
I don't know about Ceylon puffers but I kept four bumblebee gobies in a 20 gallon long with two figure-eight puffers and the two species ignored each other. I did have to distract the puffers to make sure the gobies got enough food but that was the only difficultly I noticed. I usually put a handful of snails in a weirdly-shaped glass that the puffers had to take turns swimming inside to get the snails. While they were busy doing that I put a pile of worms on the other side of the tank for the gobies.

FlamandalayBay
02-07-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't know about Ceylon puffers but I kept four bumblebee gobies in a 20 gallon long with two figure-eight puffers and the two species ignored each other. I did have to distract the puffers to make sure the gobies got enough food but that was the only difficultly I noticed. I usually put a handful of snails in a weirdly-shaped glass that the puffers had to take turns swimming inside to get the snails. While they were busy doing that I put a pile of worms on the other side of the tank for the gobies.
Wow! How very clever of you!

FishDaddy
02-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Well, FishDaddy I have been working tanks all day. I finally got them ready except for the 40...Now I just need a few starter fish n plants here n there n I will be set...not all at once of course :hehe:
Daniel says you live REALLY far away from me...Yikes! KIT though[/quote]

it's not THAT far. maybe 30 minutes. Heck, I'll give you both puffers for 5.

plantedpufferfreak
02-21-2010, 02:24 PM
yay! people interested in Puffs! i have a Dwarf and a GSP :) I really want a figure 8 but i dont have the room atm :(

FlamandalayBay
02-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Daniel says you live REALLY far away from me...Yikes! KIT though

it's not THAT far. maybe 30 minutes. Heck, I'll give you both puffers for 5.[/quote]
Just wanted to let ya know I still want them if ya still got em. Hang on! It's all coming together soon! lol:hehe: