PDA

View Full Version : My review of Petworld in Haltom City w/sample prices

ayla
02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Made my first trip to Petworld on Carson in Haltom City today.

The store is quite crowded with stacked dry goods and tanks. The owner mentioned that were doing some renovations and that this isn't the normal setup. It really wasn't bothersome.

The store has more FW variety than I would have imagined with mostly freshwater and only a small saltwater section. Mostly community fish, some cichlids and goldies.

Fish look good. I did see a few floaters (mostly in one tank, and they weren't marked with a price so most likely quarantine) but nothing that would have prevented me from buying.

There is a good selection of tetras, barbs, gouramis, and more betta types than most stores have at once.

Not a lot of oddballs, but a few cool things to check out including a giant freshwater prawn that looks like a lobster.

It is worth the drive, especially if you hit Keller Farms, Fish2morrow and Fin and Fang at the same time as they are all nearby.

Prices were average to below average in most cases. A few things seemed high. (clown loaches at $35 for example)

I always like to have an idea of what to expect to pay for things before I go in to a new place, so here are some sample prices for those who are the same way. Prices listed are to the best of my memory and should be accurate to within $0.50-$1.00. These are just what I remember off the top of my head so if anyone is interested in something specific let me know.

Fan/wood shrimp $12 ea
Buenos Aries tetras - $3.50 ea or 3 for $6 and some change
cherry barbs - $3.50 each or 5 for $15
gold gouramis, some of the best color I've seen on these, large- $3.99 ea
penguin tetras - $2.50 ea
fancy guppies - $2.99 ea
bettas - 4.99 for veil tail, up to 9.99 for other types. There are at least 4 types I believe
pearl gouramis, med. size - $5

Hope someone finds this helpful.

ElijahTurtle
02-03-2010, 06:08 PM
I always forget about this place, but I've been there before, they used to have a decent selection of plants in one of those cascading displays right in the entry way of the fish room.

cichlidkeeper
02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
what is the address for this place?

ElijahTurtle
02-03-2010, 06:20 PM
2700 Carson Street
Haltom City, TX 76117-4222

kewlkatdady
02-03-2010, 07:45 PM
seems very close to keller farms.

ayla
02-03-2010, 08:22 PM
I always forget about this place, but I've been there before, they used to have a decent selection of plants in one of those cascading displays right in the entry way of the fish room.

The cascade display was dry and had other stuff stacked on top of it. Maybe there was some problem and that was what the renovations were about. They do still have plants, good prices too.

davidlock560
03-20-2013, 05:56 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience of the Petworld. I never go in that shop. I think the price is very good. Now i will also like to go and buy something.

Daniel Quiroz
03-21-2013, 02:38 PM
The manager/employee was a jerk last time i went in there, hope they fired his ass and got some friendlier people there...:fw:

Nguyen
03-21-2013, 03:56 PM
the place looks the same like 6 months ago, nothing has changed. the owner told me last year it's under remodeling. still the same messes when I went back last week.

pam916
03-23-2013, 06:17 AM
I go in there a couple of times a month. They have always been nice to me. They donated a large amount of java fern for our last planted tank meeting. They are slowly remodeling the place, the owner also services tanks and is working on his masters He is always nice to me. If you are looking for something they don't have, they will order it for you.

waterdog
03-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Are you sure this is the place talked about? The reason I ask is this man that owns and manages this store Darin (spelled probably wrong) he is a fair man and has been running an aquarium service buisness for years , which would be fairly impossible to be as successful as his if he was the way you say.

pam916
03-28-2013, 04:55 AM
I just realized that this thread was started in 2010, lol.

doctavus
05-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Yeah his name is darren. I have bought a few cichlids from him and they are doing well. He told me the same thing about spring cleaning a few months ago. He is a nice guy and the fish are healthy.

I just found out about keller farms, they have a ton of cichlids. The 3 i bought are doing well. Both places have texas holy rock too. Would recommend both places.