PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on drift wood

ElijahTurtle
01-26-2010, 07:03 PM
I just picked this piece up at Fish N Chirps in denton today. I just couldn't pass on it because it looked so cool.
But.... Yeah there's always the but. does it look to big for the tank? Here are some pics of it sitting on top of the tank for a size comparison. Please ignore the low water, it kind of throws off the tank size but I'm in the middle of a W/C on it.
Here are the pics with it sitting on the canopy
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q83/elijahtturtle/100_0035.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q83/elijahtturtle/100_0030.jpg

Front view
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q83/elijahtturtle/100_0033.jpg

Back side view
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q83/elijahtturtle/100_0034.jpg

alta678
01-26-2010, 07:08 PM
I love this piece! I think it will look very cool in your tank. It is a nice size for the tank it is going in, not too big at all. It would look great with some plants in the middle of it. If it doesn't work out for you, let me know and I will take it off your hands!roflmaoroflmaoroflmao

guppyfreak2
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
That is a really nice piece of wood i think it will look good in that tank

ilicurtisili
01-26-2010, 07:14 PM
i see a great wide open spot right in the middle of the tank!:D

ElijahTurtle
01-26-2010, 07:17 PM
I love this piece! I think it will look very cool in your tank. It is a nice size for the tank it is going in, not too big at all. It would look great with some plants in the middle of it. If it doesn't work out for you, let me know and I will take it off your hands!roflmaoroflmaoroflmao
LOL Ok will do, I guess this might free up some of the other drift wood pieces I've had setting around waiting to go in here....
I'll probably take a while for this one to sink though. As you can see between the plecos & the endlers, my plants have been demolished though.

Haiven
01-26-2010, 07:54 PM
I think it will look great in your tank. It's perhaps my favorite piece I've ever seen. Good find!

ElijahTurtle
01-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Yeah, it's floating pretty good right now, going to take a while since it was so dried out.

dallas1scholar
01-26-2010, 10:34 PM
That's a sick lookin' piece....I just picked up a piece of driftwood as well from Carg and my tank just took on a whole different form....will post pics in a bit. Tell me what you think.

Carg
01-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Nice-and if I remember it was also a killer deal? $30 or something?

dallas1scholar
01-26-2010, 10:59 PM
Man Carg, if my 135g wasn't gonna be my Frontosa tank, I'd be driving back over to Mckinney! Can your connection get ahold of some holey rock too?!lol

EAST_TX_RN
01-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Man, that is the coolest piece of driftwood I have ever seen, too! It would look awesome in there!

Incaico
01-26-2010, 11:00 PM
great looking piece!

ElijahTurtle
01-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I've been floating it since yesterday. I'm figuring a month or so to get it to sink. Verdict is still in limbo on it though. It dwarfs the whole tank!! I think I'm going to have to get a bigger tank for it. :hehe::hehe::hehe:

alta678
01-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Solving problems with bigger tanks always works for me!! :D

Typical Tony
01-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Yeah, I've been floating it since yesterday. I'm figuring a month or so to get it to sink. Verdict is still in limbo on it though. It dwarfs the whole tank!! I think I'm going to have to get a bigger tank for it. :hehe::hehe::hehe:

screw a tile plate on the bottom?

Good Wolf
01-28-2010, 01:56 AM
I think it would look great if you put it at an angle in the corner of the tank. I did that with a very large piece of holy rock in my 55g. I stuck lots of Anubias inside of it and the some taller plants in behind it. The loaches and cory love hanging out behind, on top of, and around it. My angels also use the anubias to spawn on.

Just the two cents of a amatuer aquascaper.

In regards to getting it into the tank, if you stand it up is it the right length to wedge under the center brace of the tank? I had to do that with some driftwood my wife found in TN.

ElijahTurtle
01-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Here's a shot of it in the tank. Kind of looks overwhelming in there. The cat is swatting at my new Vampire Pleco hiding in that shadow below the driftwood. The pleco has the tank all stirred up at the moment which isn't hard to do with strait SMS that isn't capped.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q83/elijahtturtle/100_0042.jpg

Here's a closer shot of the vampire. She's not showing her best colors in this shot since I had just released her after acclimating her for 3 hours.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q83/elijahtturtle/100_0041.jpg

Dr. Awkward
01-30-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't think it's too big. I think it looks great. :D

alta678
01-30-2010, 09:50 PM
That is a magnificent piece of driftwood. Plant around it and in a few months you will be posting some incredible pictures of that tank on here! :exactly:

ElijahTurtle
01-31-2010, 08:29 AM
Yeah, once it finally sinks, my plan is to place it at the back of the tank with the opening just right of the tank center. With the black background I'm thinking it will have a deep cave like feel to it. I will try to get some small moss inside the opening to soften the entrance to the "cave" to enhance the impression of a deep hole. On the left, I will utilize my extra drift wood with moss & anubias nana, & well placed stem or grass plants to make it look like there is no back over there.
The way the living room is set up, everyone looks at the tank from there & with the angle, it should become a veritable "rabbit hole" that disappears to infinity...

I hope....

I still think it's way to big, but I won't have that tiny 105G forever. When I upgrade, I'll have a nice well drowned piece of driftwood for the new display.

TanyaQ2000
01-31-2010, 09:50 AM
I love the piece and can see how it could overwhelm the tank but take a look at some aquascapes at LFS and on-line because with proper plant placement, it will minimize the size of the wood.

but....if you decide to sell, please offer it on the box :D

cichlidkeeper
02-01-2010, 12:30 PM
it dwarfs the tank but once you get it sunk and have plants growing around it it should look awesome...