PDA

View Full Version : where to find clean oak leaves for aquarium?

ayla
01-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Anyone know of a source of pesticide free oak leaves? Public areas are tough because you never know what might be sprayed there, but maybe someone has some on their private property?

kewlkatdady
01-22-2010, 03:12 PM
would peat work just the same?

if so you can get that at any home depot.

ayla
01-22-2010, 03:14 PM
No, I want to do a leaf litter substrate for my khulis. I saw a setup done like this and it looked amazing. :D

Typical Tony
01-22-2010, 03:14 PM
yea i wouldnt trust most oak leaves in the city... im guessing you want to substitute it for almond leaf?

kewlkatdady
01-22-2010, 03:20 PM
ah ok...

thats going to be very cool...

drive out to the country...I can't imagine anyone out in the sticks getting upset with you for gathering some leafs.
No, I want to do a leaf litter substrate for my khulis. I saw a setup done like this and it looked amazing. :D

ayla
01-22-2010, 03:21 PM
I've seen the almond leaves and I might end up going that direction. I think they let out a LOT of tannins though. Sometimes people only use a few in a tank, so if I cover the whole bottom I'm afraid the tank will be TOO dark. I was hoping the oak leaves might be a little less "powerful." I also like the look of the oak leaf tanks I've seen.

Typical Tony
01-22-2010, 03:32 PM
i have almond leaves in a couple of my tanks.. they do not leach tannin out at all.. i use about 2 per 10g. I honestly dont know if it's really beneficial as some people say but i really like the looks of the leaves on the bottom...

the only thing ive found out about oak leaves is that its a breeding ground for some type of micro bugs that your fish can feed on, especially for a fry tank.

cichlidkeeper
01-22-2010, 04:30 PM
LBJ grasslands or anywhere out a ways from town....

Austin
01-22-2010, 04:58 PM
I have some aquarium grade Indian almond leaves I'll sell. I don't use them anymore. Pm me if you're interested.

ayla
01-22-2010, 05:18 PM
i have almond leaves in a couple of my tanks.. they do not leach tannin out at all..

Interesting, Ok. I didn't know that. I thought they turned the water really dark. Do you think it would be OK to have tons of them all over the bottom of the tank?

Typical Tony
01-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Interesting, Ok. I didn't know that. I thought they turned the water really dark. Do you think it would be OK to have tons of them all over the bottom of the tank?

how big is the tank?

i think most people use them for the looks of it and the beneficial nutrients the leaves release as it rots...

i usually do about 6-8 leaves for my 28g tank and dont ever really see the tannin but then i also run chemi-pure in the filter so that might've absorbed it.. but from what i see, the leaves are really thin so i dont think it would release that much tannin if at all.

cichlidkeeper
01-22-2010, 05:27 PM
i would think that elm or oak leaves would look really nice

Dr. Awkward
01-22-2010, 05:29 PM
You can find plenty in my front yard. I didn't spray any pesticide on them and I use them in my tanks with no problems.

ayla
01-22-2010, 11:34 PM
bettalover, it's for a 10 gallon tank.

You can find plenty in my front yard. I didn't spray any pesticide on them and I use them in my tanks with no problems.

That would be perfect. Glad you already tried it. What part of Arlington are you in? Could you PM me your address? Thanks!

ElijahTurtle
01-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Yeah,this late in the season, any leaves remaining on the ground would be leached of pesticides by now anyhow. I haven't thought of this. I think I'm going to grab a few from my yard for my khulis too.

alta678
01-23-2010, 06:31 AM
I have PLENTY to share. Anybody want some just let me know. We have never used any pesticide in twelve years.

ayla
01-23-2010, 01:18 PM
If anyone with clean leaves who doesn't mind me grabbing some could PM me with their address I would appreciate it! I live in a condo so I can't use anything around here.

ayla
01-27-2010, 12:10 AM
I grabbed some from Dr Awkward's yard on Monday. (Awesome huge oak tree and thanks btw!) I rinsed them and then soaked them in water overnight.

Some are already sinking so I added those to the tank. I really like the natural look. The leaves have a very pretty red-brown color that looks cool in contrast with the bright green plants. All the snails in the tank made a beeline for those leaves as soon as I put them in!

Typical Tony
01-27-2010, 12:59 AM
I grabbed some from Dr Awkward's yard on Monday. (Awesome huge oak tree and thanks btw!) I rinsed them and then soaked them in water overnight.

Some are already sinking so I added those to the tank. I really like the natural look. The leaves have a very pretty red-brown color that looks cool in contrast with the bright green plants. All the snails in the tank made a beeline for those leaves as soon as I put them in!

pics?

UncleSamsPuppet
01-27-2010, 07:29 AM

pics?

:hehe: x2

I also have a ton (three acres ;)) of oak, live oak, red oak, ect. More leaves than you can shake a stick at. Not to mention I live about 200-300 yards from Brazos river, so lots of rocks and driftwood plus TONS of trees (willows, oaks, maples, ash, etc., etc.). It's a drive, but anyone is welcome. I can even meet you in FW if you like.

My initial compost pile was laughed at by the pile of leave 10 times bigger than compost box. I think once Spring officially hits I'll redo the compost to better match the amount of yard debris :exactly:.

Typically, if I see a stagnate pool of water filled with oak leaves, it's usually brown colored. But if there are only a few leaves it usually clear with a slight hit of brown, but typically the water also has sticks and twigs so it's hard to say if it's the leaves causing the tea color.

ayla
01-27-2010, 02:54 PM
I'll try to find my camera later on tonight. It's been MIA for a week or so now and I'm starting to think I left it somewhere. :confused:

Typical Tony
01-27-2010, 02:57 PM
:hehe: x2

I also have a ton (three acres ;)) of oak, live oak, red oak, ect. More leaves than you can shake a stick at. Not to mention I live about 200-300 yards from Brazos river, so lots of rocks and driftwood plus TONS of trees (willows, oaks, maples, ash, etc., etc.). It's a drive, but anyone is welcome. I can even meet you in FW if you like.

My initial compost pile was laughed at by the pile of leave 10 times bigger than compost box. I think once Spring officially hits I'll redo the compost to better match the amount of yard debris :exactly:.

Typically, if I see a stagnate pool of water filled with oak leaves, it's usually brown colored. But if there are only a few leaves it usually clear with a slight hit of brown, but typically the water also has sticks and twigs so it's hard to say if it's the leaves causing the tea color.

i def. see a roadtrip to Andrew's place this spring or even sooner. :D

Are there any creeks nearby your place andrew? Im looking to study up on some local Texas biotopes..

alta678
01-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Roadtrip! Roadtrip!! :exactly:

Dr. Awkward
01-28-2010, 07:40 PM

That's funny, I didn't notice any leaves missing... :hehe:

Yeah, my pond snails can't get enough of those leaves. I have to replace them faster than I'd like because the snails eat them. Come get more anytime.