PDA

View Full Version : Algae Eater----What is it?

bustnova
01-21-2010, 03:51 PM
:confuzeld:What type of algae eater is this? I bought it at Wal Mart - They classified it as a Chinese Algae Eater. It does not look like a Chineses Algae Eater.

greeneyed
01-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Hard to tell from pics, but could be a Chinese Algae Eater.

bustnova
01-21-2010, 04:05 PM
It is orange in color and does not have the usual markings. That is why I was wondering if anyone would have an idea of whether or not it really is a Chinese Algae Eater. It really is unique looking.

greeneyed
01-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Maybe it is a "Golden Chinese Algae Eater (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&um=1&sa=1&q=golden+chinese+algae+eater&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0)"?

BTW I hate my CAE!! Biggest DB in any tank I have had him in.

Typical Tony
01-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Maybe it is a "Golden Chinese Algae Eater (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&um=1&sa=1&q=golden+chinese+algae+eater&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0)"?

BTW I hate my CAE!! Biggest DB in any tank I have had him in.

Def. a CAE.

bhughes
01-21-2010, 04:24 PM
got them on sale at petsmart till the 1st for $1.00 :D

etexer
01-21-2010, 04:33 PM
There are diffrent color and pattern Chinese Algae Eaters. Wal-Mart sells them pretty commonly. I got two a year or so ago that I got there. The pics are a lill blurry so its hard to tell but thats what I'd guess. If you goolge them theres alot of pics and info out there. They get huge and actually will sometimes eat other fish when they get bigger or give them hickeys while eating the slime off the fish. Mine have never done that but I found it interesting when I read about them a few months ago.

Haiven
01-21-2010, 04:53 PM
The biggest one I had got to be about 10" long and looked like a torpedo. When he was about 4" he started bothering my community fish so I put him in my African cichlid tank where he lived til I sold him at 10".

They get really lazy when they're big and just rest on plants or rocks.

ayla
01-21-2010, 06:14 PM
I had an 8 inch CAE wipe out nearly an entire community tank one time. The tank would be fine, you'd leave the room for 10 minutes, and there'd be a perfectly healthy looking, but dead, fish lying there when you got back. It happened over and over until we finally caught the culprit red handed (finned?) He was ramming them over and over at high speed, killing them with pure blunt force. I think there were maybe 2 survivors.:mad:

cichlidkeeper
01-21-2010, 07:05 PM
after 4", they get tired of eating algae and like to munch on fishies :hehe:

Mr. Banker
01-22-2010, 02:48 PM
its a chinese algae eater. heard that they're good when young then dont eat the algae when they get bigger and start eating fish food instead. Spend a little more and get a bristlenose pleco. They tear the algae up. i plan on putting two in my 55 malawi tank.