PDA

View Full Version : keller farms anyone?

SCOTT42
01-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Do any of you folks go to/use keller farms in Haltom city? If so what's your thoughts of the place?
Posted via Mobile Device

BPSEOE
01-20-2010, 03:29 PM
I have always wanted to go but kinda far. I"heard" that it use to be the place to go but has since went down hill. I dunno!I will have to check it out for myself one day
Posted via Mobile Device

ilicurtisili
01-20-2010, 03:33 PM
i like the place but the owner is a :assclown: they got a pretty large selection compared to some stores. great store but if u go make sure its not close to closing time.

ayla
01-20-2010, 03:36 PM
x2 on not going close to closing time. I have generally found the new owners to be not very friendly. However, my last visit, they were quite nice and chatty. Maybe I have been in enough times that I am a "regular" now.

SCOTT42
01-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I only ask couse he (the owner) don't llike me at all. It really was a great place to buy fish until the old owners sold the place. I used to go in there all the time to get great deals on saltwater fish and then the new guy came in and treated me as if I haven't been around and I was new to the place. It really ticted me off and I told him bout it thinkin he would understand but he blew me off.so I quit going there for a while and went back monday and I don't know if I should give him a chance again or not? Its like 15 miles from my house and there are other stores a lot closer to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

dallas1scholar
01-20-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm planning on going down there this weekend and check it out...does need me to deliver a peace sign with one finger??lol

BPSEOE
01-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Ha!good one dallas... I wanna check out their calvus. Maybe this weekend
Posted via Mobile Device

bhughes
01-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Going to Keller farms is an adventure. I have never bought anything. I enjoy looking at everything gives me ideas what I maybe interested in at a later date. And they have abunch of BIG plecos they give store credit for them. :cool:

kewlkatdady
01-20-2010, 06:13 PM
I've been going there off and on for 13 years or so...

some good some bad experiences.

Since the new ownership, Ive on;y bought one fish and been pissed off more than that.

kenp83
01-20-2010, 08:29 PM
I wasnt in the hobby when keller farms had the old owner. The new owner is ok with me.... He doesnt small talk, and i dont either when i go in there. The employees were friendly when i went in there about 2 weeks ago. 2 new, young guys with fw zoo shirts on. His tanks look decent and the fish ive bought from there are always healthy. Ive ran into what people call bad customer service in alot of stores. Guess i have thick skin!!!

OOwl
01-20-2010, 09:03 PM
There are MANY posts about this issue. You should run a search for that name on this site and you'll get a LOT of information. My last experience there was very good. Although I'm a hard sell because I was very close to the previous ownership and miss them greatly (however, I DID see them both at the last TCA meeting and they're both doing fantastic!). Keller, the store, looks neat and tidy and the tanks are clean. I recently purchased a pair of Longfin Gold Rams (which the owner ordered in special for me because I asked if he could get some in, which I thought was really thoughtful). The fish ended up a true pair (kinda difficult to tell with the Gold Rams, too) and they came in healthy and eating well, went throught QT without an issue, and they're in their own tank and still doing great (defending territory and acting like they'll be setting up house soon). So, while it's not the KF I remember from years' past, it's a NEW Keller Farm and well worth the trip there. . . even if all you do is look at what they have (don't forget to look out back!).

cichlidkeeper
01-21-2010, 05:52 PM
yeah, same as KKD, ive had good and bad experiences. in the last year, ive only gone back twice, with a long period in between the two times because i didnt like how things were goin over there. on my most recent trip, i went to check things out, maybe get a fish or two. they had raised their prices(they USED to be one of the greatest priced stores around) and i found a small Neolamprologus tretocephalus. i asked the owner if i could get him, and he said it was a blue occelatus, and it would cost me $15. it said clearly on the tank above that blue occelatus were $10, but he was set on this particular fish being 15. i got it, knowing exactly what it was, a tret, and i also felt bad for it cause it had NO striping whatsoever in that tank. if i hadnt really wanted the fish, i wouldve said, no way, you're not gonna raise the price $5 when it clearly states it right there. so, my trips to there are short and few....

Boone
02-08-2010, 05:49 PM
I've been to this shop several times. The owner and his employees have been quite helpful, and he has a pretty good memory, as he held some fish for me, and remembered exactly what they were, two weeks later. There's a good selection. The owner seemed courteous to me, but the "no guarantee" on fish is understandable for a small shop, versus the big box stores.

ayla
02-08-2010, 06:21 PM
I saw someone bumped this so I will update my earlier post.

We have continued to go in to Keller Farms at least once per week and the staff and owners are increasingly friendly each time. (of course it probably helps that we never leave empty handed:D)

We went this afternoon 30 minutes before closing and were greeted with a friendly hello when we walked in, even as he was ringing up another customer. He remembered our purchase from last week and asked what we had in the works for our 33 gallon.

Maybe they just have to warm up to people. I honestly even get the sense that the owner (Mac, I believe?) might be a little shy.:)

jello
02-08-2010, 06:27 PM
good place to get some nice fish, just dont go close to closing time. they will run you out.

Joe Reborn
02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I got a Festae there i thought they were a bit high on the price but it was one of the only places i could find a male festae. The Guy who helped me was pretty ok nice and helpful.

Austin
02-08-2010, 08:53 PM
I had spent multiple hundreds there and had a major run in with the owner last year and won't be back.