PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching Holey Rock?

etexer
01-15-2010, 09:37 PM
What is the best way to bleach/clean texas holey rock that has been in a saltwater tank? It is nasty and stinks. Im afraid "bleach" might soak into it because its limestone (thought I heard that) is the sun the only way or is there another safe way?

EDIT: Just googled it and it looks like bleach and soap bath then sun. Still interested in what others have to say....

Dr. Awkward
01-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Is the rock small enough to fit in a bucket? If so I'd stick it in a bucket and do a 1:10 solution of bleach/water, let it soak for a few hours, then put some gloves on and scrub off the gross chunks with a new green scrubby pad. Let it sit in the sun until it's completely dry, then stick it back in the bucket with fresh water and OD on dechlorinator. After that it should be good to put in your tank.

rolloffhill
01-15-2010, 09:43 PM
I put it in a plastic tub, fill it with water and dump bleach in it.

Let it sit in there a couple days, rinse really well.

Then refill the tub, add copious amounts (paranoia) of dechlorinator to it and let it sit for another couple days.

Never had any problems yet.

Incaico
01-15-2010, 09:50 PM
If the rock could fit in a big pot, like a tamale pot, I'd just boil it for 30 minutes and then pop it in the tank.

kewlkatdady
01-16-2010, 09:15 AM
I bought some rock quarry holey rock (un bleached)...

I soaked it in a 30 gallon trash can half full with a whole bottle of bleach for 4 days. I then removed it and rinsed very well then soaked for another 2 days in water with a bottle of Prime (dechlorinator). Then let its sit in a 100 degree sun for 3-4 days...

it still looked like crap.

Most of the aquarium rock is sand blasted and sun baked for weeks.

etexer
01-18-2010, 12:06 PM
I soaked it over nite in a tub of water with about 1/4 bottle bleach for 16 hours or so scrubed and rinced it then soaked it in tub of water with about 1/4 bottle of kent dechlorinator for 24 hours then srubbed and rinsed again let it sit in the sun all day. Looks about the same and still smells like crap. Guess I will let it sit in the sun a few more days and see what happens. I dont mind that its not bleach white, I just dont want to put it in the tank when it smells lkike dead liverock after being in a saltwater tank.

cichlidkeeper
01-18-2010, 02:28 PM
try more bleach in the solution- half and half

etexer
01-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Damn that would be alot of bleach unless I did one rock at a time. The rock fills up a HUGE tote container well over 100lbs Im guessing.

SCOTT42
01-18-2010, 03:39 PM
I put it in a plastic tub, fill it with water and dump bleach in it.

Let it sit in there a couple days, rinse really well.

Then refill the tub, add copious amounts (paranoia) of dechlorinator to it and let it sit for another couple days.
That's what I've done and never had any problems.
Never had any problems yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

kewlkatdady
01-18-2010, 04:06 PM
its not going to turn it bright white...unless there is bright hot sun.

Typical Tony
01-18-2010, 04:13 PM
try sanding off the gunk? baking it?

cichlidkeeper
01-18-2010, 04:34 PM
a kiln would be sweet, but an oven would work