PDA

View Full Version : Crushed Coral

TDsapp
01-13-2010, 11:21 PM
I know that if I put crushed coral in a tank it will raise the PH and the hardness of the water. But does the coal, ummm, run out? Once I put the coral in a tank do I need to rotate in new coral on a regular basis or will it last a good long time?

Tim

Adroit
01-13-2010, 11:58 PM
i think it just slowly deteriorates

masroberts9
01-14-2010, 12:43 AM
it'll last a long time.

kewlkatdady
01-14-2010, 08:13 AM
truely it does raise the kH which helps buffer the pH...but its not enough to talk about.

I happens over a LONG period of time.

etexer
01-14-2010, 09:29 AM
It will last a long time. you wont notice it go down. I would use pulverized limestone it does the same thing. The problem with crushed coral in a cichlid tank is there will be small pockets that can trap food and waste and make nitrate pockets or gas pockets. I have heard of crushed coral being used and working, but I would suggest sand with Texas Holy Rock or limestone. Or pulverized limestone as a substrate. Just my two cents based on hours of research.

cichlidkeeper
01-14-2010, 01:30 PM
i dont think you'd have a problem with it dissolving so much that you have to replace it

etexer
01-14-2010, 01:54 PM
i dont think you'd have a problem with it dissolving so much that you have to replace it

+1

Incaico
01-14-2010, 02:26 PM
If you want to raise ph go with aragonite/live sand.

cichlidkeeper
01-14-2010, 04:12 PM
If you want to raise ph go with aragonite/live sand.

in a SW tank, right?

Incaico
01-14-2010, 05:05 PM
in a SW tank, right?

nope. He can use it in FW setup. A lot of us do, including myself. I use it for my African cichlid tanks. It is good at keeping the ph up and for keeping hard water. Although, I would not use it if I want a low ph.

cichlidkeeper
01-14-2010, 05:11 PM
oh, i havnt heard of using it in a FW setup. ya learn somethin new every day i guess

Incaico
01-14-2010, 05:17 PM
I think it is great for African cichlids, because you get the high calcium/ph benefits you would from a crushed coral substrate with a sand look :D

Typical Tony
01-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Where would one go about go get some aragonite/live sand? im about to start up a shellie tank soon

Incaico
01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Where would one go about go get some aragonite/live sand? im about to start up a shellie tank soon

caribsea makes it. DNA and petsmart carry it. Most LFS will have it as well. Sometimes you can buy it used from DNA. Regardless of whether you buy some new or used I would wash it out thoroughly because it will have SW bacteria in it. I personally don't think it requires any more rinsing than other sand type substrates.

Dr. Awkward
01-14-2010, 05:50 PM
truely it does raise the kH which helps buffer the pH...but its not enough to talk about.

I happens over a LONG period of time.

If you put crushed coral in the filter instead of in the tank you will see a significant change. I keep it in my high tech tank's filter. The tank includes ADA Amazonia soil and CO2 so I have problems with pH swings. Without the crushed coral I have a KH of 0 and a pH of 6, with it I have a KH of 8 and a pH of 7.5.

It takes about two days before the readings level off. I've been using coral in my filters for years and it has never worn out or dissolved away.

alta678
01-15-2010, 03:58 PM
If you put crushed coral in the filter instead of in the tank you will see a significant change. I keep it in my high tech tank's filter. The tank includes ADA Amazonia soil and CO2 so I have problems with pH swings. Without the crushed coral I have a KH of 0 and a pH of 6, with it I have a KH of 8 and a pH of 7.5.

It takes about two days before the readings level off. I've been using coral in my filters for years and it has never worn out or dissolved away.

What a great idea!

TDsapp
01-16-2010, 11:56 AM

That is actually what I was thinking about doing. I use a Emperor 400 and have all 4 bays using the media containers currently with filter floss. I was thinking about removing the floss from one container and adding the crushed coral.

Tim

cichlidkeeper
01-16-2010, 07:22 PM
its a great bio media too...

BPSEOE
01-19-2010, 06:53 AM
it takes a really really long time to"run out"
Posted via Mobile Device