PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon options

PiMpPiStOl
01-05-2010, 10:09 PM
so, i think im getting tired of the cichlids in the 55. im wondering what all i could do. if i had the money id start saltwater. but thats way too expensive. so im wondering if theres a big fish or something thatll be good in a 55 gallon. i was thinking about getting a couple of discuses,since 2 are 40 at the place in waco... but i dont know if im good enough to keep up with those.

what are some options i could do?

OOwl
01-05-2010, 11:04 PM
No fuss, low-light planted tank with hearty, hard-to-kill plants, black sand substrate. A pair of really outstanding, less-common-type angelfish (Superveil tail Premium Koi or Platinum Blue Pearlscale), a couple of German Blue Rams (regular, gold, or electric blue), and a large school of about 30 deep-red, jumbo cardinals, and a pair of longfin albino bristlenose for algae control. :)

OOwl added 3 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

Or, if I had to keep a single largish specimen of fish in a 55, I'd get an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey and a fancy medium-size Pleco. Good luck on your choice.

Oh, and you COULD do a SW tank REALLY cheaply. Have you checked out the economical reef tank on garf.org? That's a 55 in their model. Very doable on a budget with used equipment.

PiMpPiStOl
01-05-2010, 11:15 PM
im already doing a 10 gallon planted. forgot to mention that. with black substrate and hard to kill plants. but a 55 might not be too bad...

and where the info about that SW tank? i cant find it. the page loads weird for me.

etexer
01-06-2010, 12:47 AM
You really can piece together a salt water set up with used equipment for a pretty low cost. It takes some time though. You can find used filtration and powerheads and use pulverized limestone as substrate then find someone that has a tank set up and use a cup of thier sand to seed yours and live rock for as litttle as $2Lb. If you read up on it and really look at the different salt water options its doable with a low budget. If you decide to go that route check out etreefers.com there are some good people there that have been helpful to me. Small site but they have good info and big hearts there. If you get rid of the cichlids let me know the ones I got from you miss their tank mates :)

OOwl
01-06-2010, 06:24 AM
I concur with the budget reef being totally possible. After YEARS of spending WAY too much on reef tank setups, I burned out, sold or gave everything away and took some time off from the hobby. A few years later when I returned, I vowed to do it all differently. . . and I have . My reef tank is LOW-TECH and it's the easiest reef tank I've ever had. I literally spend MINUTES a month on its maintenance. After a year, with well established live sandbed and low fish stocking levels, I even removed the skimmer. It's just flourished with all the new microfauna. You can do as high a tech or low a tech reef (or live rock/fish only) tank as you want, and bargains on used SW equipment abound (even less expensive than FW stuff).

I like the garf site but I have never followed their instructions to the letter. I have purchased their "grunge" in the past to seed my tank with critters, but I haven't lately. Here's there page to a low-tech reef tank:
http://www.garf.org/milli/125.html.

Good luck with your project. I hope you'll post details of whatever you decide to do. Setting up a new tank is a major part of the fun of fishkeeping, and if YOU do it, a few of us can be content enough to READ about it and not do it AGAIN ourselves. :)

DallasDiscus
04-02-2010, 06:05 PM
You are capable of taking care of Discus! Might have to change the water more and get nutritional foods, but you can do it, AND SHOULD! imo:)

bluestar76
04-02-2010, 06:33 PM
You are capable of taking care of Discus! Might have to change the water more and get nutritional foods, but you can do it, AND SHOULD! imo:)

Is it possible to keep discus in tap water or does it have to be an RO/tap mix?

Incaico
04-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Oowl, do you use RO water or tap water. If you use RO water did you invest in an rodi system?

Typical Tony
04-02-2010, 07:10 PM

depend on where the strain is from, i have heard of breeders who raise their strain all on tap and others who do it with nothing but RO.

bgbdwlf2500
10-17-2010, 06:15 PM

ive always used tap

kleankord
10-17-2010, 06:22 PM
tap in my discus tank, and joereborn uses tap in his salt tank

Texas Gypsy
11-04-2010, 09:47 PM
so, i think im getting tired of the cichlids in the 55. im wondering what all i could do. if i had the money id start saltwater. but thats way too expensive. so im wondering if theres a big fish or something thatll be good in a 55 gallon. i was thinking about getting a couple of discuses,since 2 are 40 at the place in waco... but i dont know if im good enough to keep up with those.

what are some options i could do?

What are you wanting to do with the Cichlids?

aquavette
11-11-2010, 09:52 AM
No fuss, low-light planted tank with hearty, hard-to-kill plants, black sand substrate. A pair of really outstanding, less-common-type angelfish (Superveil tail Premium Koi or Platinum Blue Pearlscale), a couple of German Blue Rams (regular, gold, or electric blue), and a large school of about 30 deep-red, jumbo cardinals, and a pair of longfin albino bristlenose for algae control. :)

OOwl added 3 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

Or, if I had to keep a single largish specimen of fish in a 55, I'd get an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey and a fancy medium-size Pleco. Good luck on your choice.

Oh, and you COULD do a SW tank REALLY cheaply. Have you checked out the economical reef tank on garf.org? That's a 55 in their model. Very doable on a budget with used equipment.

Have to agree with both of the first two suggestions. Maybe add a small school of roseline barbs to the first one, and skip the rams. Option two might be cool with a pictus cat for action...

PiMpPiStOl
11-16-2010, 02:44 AM
i think i want a community. i thought i wanted one big fish, butill wait till i get my big tank and arowana. but thats way later...

and i thought about real plants, but im not sure. maybe a mix of the hard to kill ones, and fake, but i mainly wanted fake. but not sure how to go about designing it or whatever. i cant think of a good theme. my 10 gallon has black rocks, so i dunno if i should do more black...

its really been bothering me. especially now that i fixed it. i put a few gold fish in the 55, and so far, its seeming fine. everones alive and seeeming well. when my parents sell my hedghog back in corsicana, i wanna try to get this really nice light thing for the 55. it hold 2 lights, and i was gonna get some nice lights too. but its not a hood, thats the only bad thing