PDA

View Full Version : New 100g tank ideas

bcdudley
12-29-2009, 11:30 AM
I am making plans for my new 100g planted tank. I am thinking about adding a harem of Kribs, a pair of rams and maybe a pair of cacatuoides. I also plan to put in a couple schools of something else. I know one of the schools will be Harlequin Rasbora's. Maybe 15-20 of them. Then maybe another school of Congo Tetra's or Black Phantoms or something, Not really decided yet.

Still looking for other input as well. The tank is 60" long by 20" deep, so there should be plenty of room for everyone.

Payton
12-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Im just now starting up my 100g as well, what all do you have on it as far as filtration and lighting goes? pm me

Deco
12-29-2009, 01:01 PM
do a shell dweller tank.

bcdudley
12-29-2009, 01:09 PM
I am currently running a Eheim 2217 in my 29 gallon that I will move over. I also have a Fluval 304 that came with the tank. For lighting, I have a 48" T5 that has a Power Glo bulb as well as an Acintic bulb I will be changing out for a GE 9325k. I may change the Powerglo to a 6500k bulb as well.

I also have a 48" single T8 strip. I may upgrade it to a dual strip 60" if I can find one.

It already has lots of plants in the 29 that will be transplanted as well.

alta678
12-30-2009, 03:57 AM
If you need more plant cuttings just put out the word. Many people on here have planted tanks. BTW, congo tetras get really large compared to the other fish you are planning. They will snack on your Harlequin Rasboras. Mine had a very expensive snack of cardinals! :eek:

bcdudley
01-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Good to know about the Congo Tetra's. i just saw them and liked the way they looked, only reason I mentioned them. I hadn't researched them yet. Here are some pics of the tank and how it is coming along. I stripped down the stand, repaired the wooden braces and added several new ones, then stained and polyurethaned it. I also painted the back of the tank black.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/bcdudley/Fish%20Tanks/069.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/bcdudley/Fish%20Tanks/070.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/bcdudley/Fish%20Tanks/071.jpg

Joe Reborn
01-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Very Nice!

Joe Reborn added 0 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

I Need to start Thinking about getting a 100gal. My Green Terrors are getting to that Point.

alta678
01-06-2010, 02:16 AM
You do lovely work! Your stand has such a nice finish to it! :)

bcdudley
01-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Thank you. This is only our second time to do anything like this, but it is alot of fun.
The last time I built a very heavy duty workbench for the garage. It came out great. It will hold over 2000 pounds with ease.

dallas1scholar
01-06-2010, 11:26 AM
What did you paint the tank with?

bcdudley
01-06-2010, 03:17 PM
I just used flat black latex paint from Home Depot.

cichlidkeeper
01-08-2010, 09:43 PM
just addin this, kribs are pair breeders, and if you try a harem ,the odd one will be kicked out. hope that helps for the future

bcdudley
01-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Good to know. I thought I had read somewhere that they were harem breeders, but looking again, I stand corrected. Thank you.

bcdudley added 2 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

I just picked up two (hopefully) pairs of German blue rams from DNA. They look nice, but I really do hope they get more color in once they are acclimated to the new tank. I have them in QT right now and will move them over in a few days. We are tearign down the 29 tomorrow and moving in the 101g. hopefully all goes well.

Here is a pic of the tank in "test" mode.:p:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/bcdudley/Fish%20Tanks/IMAG0013.jpg

cichlidkeeper
01-10-2010, 06:17 PM
did you get that canister filter for christmas :hehe:

bcdudley
01-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Lol, no. One of the locking clips on the side was broken when I got it so it has a tie down strap holding it closed.

The stump that came with it has been out of the water for over a week so it is a floater now. I got it soaking in a bucket so I can sink it. It will eventually go in the back right corner and cover up the green tube.

Here is a picture of the tank setup and running with plants, fish and everything else. Also a picture of 2 of my German Blue Rams making themselves at home. Unfortunately, there was a smear on the front of the tank I couldn't see until after I took the picture.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/bcdudley/Fish%20Tanks/100_1420.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/bcdudley/Fish%20Tanks/100_1423.jpg

alta678
01-11-2010, 01:06 AM
I bet you refinished the stand, didn't you? The whole setup is really nice looking!!

bcdudley
01-11-2010, 01:11 AM
Thanks. It is nice to see it all coming together. Now, I just have to start working on the canopy. I am building that one from scratch.

cichlidkeeper
01-11-2010, 03:13 PM
ha, they already found themselves a breeding site. nice setup, itll look great when all the palnts grow in

oscar-lover
02-23-2010, 05:59 PM
If i had a 100g tank I would do a south american theme tank...Angels, Geos, Congos, Corys with lots of driftwood...but that is just me....:)

fishman76092
02-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Here are some cool schooling options:
Sawbwa respendens (rummynose rasbora)
Trogonostigma espei (instead of harlequin-they are prettier and similar)
Nannostomus mortenthaleri (not much of a schooler, but gorgeous)
Rasbora vaterifloris Red
Marble Hatchets
Flameback Bleeding Hearts (Hyphessobrycon
Emperor/Rainbow Tetras (Nematobrycon palmer/lacortei or Inpaichthys kerri)
Cardinals
Rummynose

Some smaller 'barbs':
Oreichthys spp Drape fin Barbs
Barbus candens

I wouldnt do Congos with smaller tetras/rasboras and I would stick with either Rams/Bolivian Rams/Apistos or Dwarf African Cichlids (Kribs)-not both. People make it work, but the Kribs will get quite a bit larger than the SA Dwarfs. If you went with Nannochromis, you'd be fine.

randall
03-01-2010, 08:49 AM
That is a really nice set up

Incaico
03-01-2010, 09:11 AM
good looking setup.

cichlidkeeper
03-01-2010, 07:40 PM
needs more plants. i am getting some this week. ill let you know if i have extras and ill also let you know when i do a trim. are you using CO2? if not i recommend BOTH DIY CO2 AND Flourish Excel (and yes the caps are on purpose :hehe:) but with the size, pressurized CO2 is definitely the way to go....

bcdudley
03-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Been a while since I have been on this board, but thought I would do an update. The tank was planted a while back with some clippings that grew very fast. I just did my first trimming last night and I have an entire 5 gallon bucket of plants. The tank was so overgrown that I could not even see the back of the tank or any of my smaller plants or the carpeting I was trying to grow. I am not sure what the plants were that were growing so fast, but they took over bad. There were two different kinds, one grew a single trunk and the leaves looked like small palm tree leaves. Each leaf got up to about a foot long. The other one is the one that really took over. I will try to get some pictures up later.

I am currently running the following stock:
3x Kribensis ( I had 4, but one died. A replacement also died, but the 3 seem happy)
2x German Blue Rams
6x Serpae Tetra's
10 Harlequin Rasboras
8 Ottocincilus
A few RCS maybe. I cannot find them.

It is a bit under stocked at the moment, especially for such a heavily planted tank, but I have been slowly adding. Last week, I added 6 cardinal tetras, but they were a little smaller than I thought once I got them in the tank. I have not seen them since they were added. I am guessing the Kribs had a nice meal.

I am running pressurized co2 with a diy Rex Grigg reactor as well as a few other diy items. I am also running the Eheim and the Fluval filter still.

I am running 4 48" T8 lights plus another 24" T8 until I can find a decent priced T5 HO fixture somewhere. The plants do not seem to be complaining at all.