PDA

View Full Version : Red Jewel Info.

iron
12-12-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm looking for info on Red Jewels. I went to the cichlid forum library and I havent been able to locate enough information. If someone knows the full name or knows of a good link I would appreciate it. Iron

OOwl
12-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Hi, Iron, regular Jewel cichlids are the same as the Red Jewels (red is just a color variant), so just google Jewel Cichlid (Hemichromis bimaculatus) and all the information applies to your new fish. I kept a pair of them in my 70-gallon with some other Africans for about a year. When they were in breeding condition, they were VERY, VERY vibrantly red, just gorgeous fish. You may need to get another one to obtain that really intense color. However, they're a pretty red the other times too. I'm glad your wife found a fish she really likes and one that's totally her own. My husband did that a while back. He fell in love with Gold Rams. He has a pair in my angel tank. It's great when the spouses get enthused about our hobby.
Good luck with your new fish!

tsunderl
12-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Iron, your wife has good taste in fish. I've had a few pairs of red jewels and a few hundred babies from them as well.

The female will have one dominant black spot on her side towards the front of her body while the male had two spots, one towards the front as well as back by the end of his body. Take a look at the pics in my album and you'll see my red jewels and the difference in the spots.

As Marci said, the colors get intense when they are mating. Mine get so red they actually look more violet in color. They lay a bizillion eggs and are very good parents. Watching them care for the fry is fascinating as they are attentive and gentle with them.

Nice little fish I think y'all will enjoy.

juice04
12-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Am I mistaken, Red Jewels are African and Central American?

tsunderl
12-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Am I mistaken, Red Jewels are African and Central American?

African.

kewlkatdady
12-13-2009, 10:28 AM
http://cichlidforum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1348

iron
12-13-2009, 11:19 AM
I went to that site last night. I was trying to understand the sexing. I watched likely 40 video clips of parents. The one spot and two spot was present in like 50% of the videos. However the double spots on each was also present. I bet a bunch of ladies are being mistaken for boys.
This is a good reason for me to get my fish from Petsmart. The 14 day return for any reason including death might just land me a pair of them. Plus they are some what cheap there for some odd reason.

kewlkatdady
12-13-2009, 01:07 PM
just an FYI about breeding them...

they get VERY aggressive when they are protecting eggs or fry...
and they'll take up a lot of tank space.

iron
12-13-2009, 01:21 PM
I have a solitary tank that I would put them in just in case I go that route. My kribs are like that as well, breeding or not. The bone heads only gave up a tiny batch of eggs and they defend like they constantly have fry.
Good to know that anyway. The one I have is rather docile as a lab. He seems to love his lab buddies as well. It doesn't specify on the addies or any of the sites I have been to, but does anyone know how big they need to be to breed?

tsunderl
12-14-2009, 10:57 AM
There may be times when two spots are visable on both male and females, but the female's spot will be more defined and darker.

iron
12-14-2009, 11:18 AM
The one I have the spots can disappear (two rear spots) while at the gills its seems to be always there. The two rearward spots look like they are well under the scales or something. So T, what do I have and what do I need? lol