PDA

View Full Version : Breeding

pelon
11-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Could I breed a kribensis cichlid with a african cichlid?Somebody help me out

iron
11-09-2009, 05:14 PM
That would be tough considering I have had a breeeding pair of Kribbs for a while and only one clutch of eggs popped out just to go to waste. Kribbs need mood lighting, fine wine, fine eats, and God knows what else.

pelon
11-09-2009, 05:18 PM
That would be tough considering I have had a breeeding pair of Kribbs for a while and only one clutch of eggs popped out just to go to waste. Kribbs need mood lighting, fine wine, fine eats, and God knows what else.

Oh man because i got a pair from fishaddict and they are both females so i was thinking about crossbreeding or just buying a kribensis male thanks

FishDaddy
11-09-2009, 05:28 PM
buy a krib male. Hybrids are very, very hard to find homes for.

My kribs had babies less than two weeks after bringing them home. I do need to thin out the herd in their tank, because the babies keep getting picked off. (it could be the filter intake, but I didn't see any babies in there when I cleaned)

Haiven
11-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Buy a male. Give them plenty of hiding places and sand substrate and you'll have babies.

iron
11-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I have 1 male kribb youth that needs a girlfriend.

kewlkatdady
11-14-2009, 04:13 PM
kribs are egg layers i think...

MOST africans are mouth brooders

plus hybrids are just free food.

masroberts9
11-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Kribs ARE african cichlids

bristlenosedude
11-14-2009, 06:04 PM
I believe kribs are native to some of the rivers in Africa, just not from the rift lakes. I hardly believe they will spawn with any of the fish from Tanganyika or Malawi. Books and research are necessary in this hobby so you don't ask dumb questions. Sorry to be so blunt but in the time you spent to type your question you could have had an answer all by yourself.

tsunderl
11-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Pelon, there are no dumb questions. We all start somewhere. This forum is an aid to help in learning about a hobby that has a huge amount of information. Never hesitate to ask questions. :)

I almost got a pair of kribs today but resisted the urge. I don't think they cross breed, but then again, I'm still learning about them too.

bristlenosedude
11-14-2009, 09:54 PM
It certainly wasn't my intent to offend you Pelon. I have been keeping fish for many years and have a wealth of knowledge that I will share with anyone. I also have a degree in wildlife management and understand how the animal world works. I never had a resource like this web site or the internet and often had to find information on my own in books and magazines. My biggest advice when you start a new endeavor is to research it from all angles so you will be successful. I have kept and bred krebensis. They are very interesting to watch, especially when brooding. Hope you can get a male and then a successful spawn. The pelvachromis genus has many other beautiful fish as well that are fairly common in the hobby.

iron
11-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Pelvicachromis pulcher

Pelva meaning belly
chromis meaning color
pulcher meaning beautiful

Mini Cichlid
Other Names: Kribensis, Purple Cichlid
Family: Cichlidae
Origin: Africa
Adult Size: 3-4 inches (8-10 cm)
Social: Peaceful They are very protective of their caves. No large cichlids or bottom cave dwelling cichlids. Angels are a bad idea as well. The kribs may nip them.
Lifespan: 5 years
Tank Level: Bottom dweller
Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallon (20 gals is perfect for them as long as there isn't to many fish in there with them.)
Diet: Omnivore, eats most foods (They are not heavy eaters.)
Breeding: Egglayer (eggs are clear in color and are bonded together)
Care: Easy
pH: 6.5
Hardness: 8-12 dGH
Temperature: 75-77 F (24-25 C)

They come from the mouth of the Ethiop River, Niger delta. The water can be brackish.
I add a small amount of salt sometimes. They adapt pretty easily to their water. They are bottom cave dwellers. They basically need a cave to hang out in all day. Fish that are bottom dwellers are not compatible. Especially cichlids. Bristlenose catfish, plecos and other catfish species only bother them when they enter their cave. However, the bristlenose can kick a krib out of its cave if he wants it more. Make sure everyone has a happy home. I have seen kribs attack Melachromis Cyans (cyans will most likely kill a krib once they are adults), dont pair these two up.

Google can give you just about any answer you are looking for. It is to easy to find the answers for yourself.
I don't breed mutts. I oppose mixing species. I want the purest strains and share that opinion with a great deal of people here.

tsunderl
11-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Nice find, Iron. Can you also post the link to where you found that information.

Again, I encourage everybody to ask questions. That is one of the reasons this site is here and the way we all can learn. If people utilized Google or other resources, we wouldn't be here. Least not in the capacity we are now.

Most of the time I learn things that I would not have thought about just by reading the posts. Ask! Post! Share ! Learn! http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/neptune/Animated/Thinking/think035.gif

pam916
11-21-2009, 02:11 AM
Could I breed a kribensis cichlid with a african cichlid?Somebody help me out

No, you cannot breed a krib with an african cichlid.