PDA

View Full Version : German Rams Laying Eggs

TxBabyCat
09-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Our 5 1/2 month old young German Blue Rams have layed eggs in their 55g tank. All we have in there is 5 German Rams and some Endlers.. about 12 that stay at the top.

The strange thing is they layed the eggs about 8 inches from the gravel on a piece of driftwood under a canopy of plants. They are in an isolated corner with a wall of plants making a great barrier.

I thought they layed eggs on flat rocks at the bottom of the tank. We kept watching the 2 of them hanging out by the top of this driftwood and they both kept pecking at it. I told Bill Saturday that maybe they were cleaning it off to lay eggs. Sure enough, they layed them last night.. so cool.

I dont think they will survive due to having a clown loach, tiger loach, 2 zebra cories, amano and cherry shrimp. Also a clown pleco and a yellow spotted pleco. We had just been talking about that he needed to remove the loaches and the cories cause they will eat the eggs if they dont fight them off good enough. But we will hope so :)

tsunderl
09-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Micki, I swear all you have to do is look at a fish and it breeds! LOL. Congrats!
Posted via Mobile Device

fischlein
09-07-2009, 10:32 AM
congrats
and thanks for the pics

TxBabyCat
09-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks ya'll :)

jabbott
09-07-2009, 10:52 AM
In the 75 they're in now, they've laid eggs on anubias leaves a few times. Once when they were in a tall 25 gallon, they laid eggs 8 or 10 inches up on flat part of a rock ornament.

Mine always eat the eggs, so I tried container hatching (http://www.dfwfishbox.com/forums/production/showthread.php?t=10330) them last time. They all died suddenly when most were wigglers and a few were free swimming. I was surprised to get them to hatch at all in tap water. I'm going to try straight Ozarka water in the container next time.

TxBabyCat
09-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Ok well they are normal then laying eggs up high ..LOL

This wood is too big to take them out, we wanted them to lay them on all the little flat rocks we have in there, so we could take them out if we needed to.

drag13honda
09-08-2009, 12:46 AM
If you have any hatch, I'd love to pick some up from you :cool:

pam916
09-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Micki, I swear all you have to do is look at a fish and it breeds! LOL. Congrat
Posted via Mobile Device

x2, great pics too

Haiven
09-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Micki, you keep tanks that make fish happy!

TxBabyCat
09-08-2009, 03:27 PM
The eggs are gone today :( they must have eaten them.

jabbott
09-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Sorry to hear that Micki. There will be more in a few weeks!

guppyfreak2
09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
sorry to hear it

jacob(i lov guppies)
09-08-2009, 06:41 PM
aww...that sucks...sorry to hear
better luck next time :)

TxBabyCat
09-09-2009, 06:51 AM
We're not sure if they ate them or the clown loach, he was over on that side of the tank yesterday morning when we discovered them gone.

We are going to remove the loaches. We have a couple cories in there too, do they eat eggs?

pam916
09-09-2009, 08:05 AM
I am just guessing here, but the rams may have eaten them, if they are like discus, they often practice a few times before they get serious and actually hatch and raise a spawn. Removing the loaches is probably a good idea, I am not sure if the cories are aggressive enough to eat the eggs with the parents protecting them.

Travis_Conklin
09-09-2009, 08:17 AM
I would try and remove the eggs next time.

Those Blue Rams are know to be egg eaters. Plus a loach and some cories. Not a chance for the eggs.

The best I could accomplish with these little guys was 2 day free swimming, then the parents ate them all. This was in a 29gal bare bottom heavily planted and they where the only ones in there.

I think if I was to do it again I would try bubbling the eggs in separate container with the blue gunk. Just a little experience, and my :02:.

rolltide#1
10-03-2009, 06:08 PM
I am having the same problem. I had five in a 20g using RO water. I got a pair and have had three batches go bad. The first time I left all fish, just the five GBRs, in the tank. Then removed all but mom. After those didn't turn out, I put the pair back together by themselves. Just got the last batch and they were big tan eggs. I thought I had it. Both parents were taking care of them. They ate them all. From what I read, they eat the bad eggs. What am I doing wrong?These are the best looking GBRs I have ever seen so Im really excited about making this happen. Let me know what works for you.

TxBabyCat
10-04-2009, 12:33 PM
It almost seems hopeless to get GBR to produce naturally and we keep having the same trouble with the parents dying. We have had all 9 of our babies we got from before, they were 6 mo old, all starting to breed and one by one they get listless without warning and swim at the bottom and breath really heavy and lose their color and then they die within 12 hours of us noticing they are breathing hard.

Told Bill he needs to find another fish to try to breed cause this one is getting expensive. But he says nooo.. He is determined to make it happen.

tsunderl
10-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Micki, y'all probably know this already, but from what I can find, it seems these guys stress easy and are sensitive to water parameter changes. I don't know what else is in with yours, but it's suggested to keep the breeding pair in a separate tank with pH around 6.8 or even lower. and zero ammonia and nitrates. I couldn't find anything specific about them dying after spawning. It's definitely perplexing.

kSpieler
10-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Mematrix is the resident GBR expert if I recall correctly ... you might send him a PM and see if he can give you any insights on what's up. Also, search here for threads re; GBRs ... I know I've asked a bazillion ?s myself.

... and I still can't keep them alive long enough to spawn eggs that actually hatch and survive for any amount of time. :cool:

pam916
10-06-2009, 05:48 AM
I am glad to know how hard they are to keep and breed, I saw some really nice looking ones the other day and thought about buying them.

ddophied
10-06-2009, 09:11 AM
My ram laid eggs for the second time. Just like the 1st time the pair at all the eggs. Maybe they were bad eggs water is alittle hard for rams. But then again it was only the second batch so maybe they will get better at it.

TxBabyCat
10-08-2009, 08:09 AM
All 9 of ours have died now, the only one left is a female I bought last week for the last male and then he died too. Just too crazy for me as to why they die like that. :(

jabbott
10-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Wow, that's terrible. I've had the same male for a year and a half, I think - he was the first GBR I bought. The females have not been as durable though.

TxBabyCat
10-08-2009, 08:41 AM
We have checked the water and all the perimeters are good. They were all happy fish and starting their breeding process and then one day they are listless, breathing hard and laying on the bottom. Within 12 hours of doing that they are dead.

On the last one we tried to put him in a sick tank with some salt and meds and he didnt show no improvement and died within 12 hours also. Once they are in that state they dont ever recover :(

Typical Tony
10-08-2009, 09:09 AM
had both of my females from 2 diff. pair died before the male as well. weird.

sorry to hear about your loss.

ddophied
10-08-2009, 09:24 AM
We have checked the water and all the perimeters are good. They were all happy fish and starting their breeding process and then one day they are listless, breathing hard and laying on the bottom. Within 12 hours of doing that they are dead.

On the last one we tried to put him in a sick tank with some salt and meds and he didnt show no improvement and died within 12 hours also. Once they are in that state they dont ever recover :(

I've had a the same problem and I think it maybe ph related. I got mine shifting from 7.80 to 7.0 for no reason. I've been checking and double checking my water and I think I may have it fixed.