PDA

View Full Version : Aponogeton crispus

UncleSamsPuppet
11-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Here's my Aponogeton crispus on 11/02/07. Today, 11/12/07, the leaves are touching the surface of the water at 24" - 25".
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Andrew_H/fishy/11-02-07%20Pics/IMG_0037.jpg

UncleSamsPuppet
11-12-2007, 11:39 AM
I also have an ~18" specimen on the other side of the tank.

(07/14/07, the one that is now ~18" tall)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Andrew_H/fishy/Plants/P7140010.jpg

(11/02/07, and 4 months later)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Andrew_H/fishy/11-02-07%20Pics/IMG_0036.jpg

EAST_TX_RN
11-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Wow! That's amazing! What kind of fish do you have in the tank? Love the photos, Andrew!

fatfutures
11-12-2007, 12:47 PM
How hard is that stuff to grow? Need much light? Can if be attached to a piece o wood? That would be awesome in the Discus tank!

UncleSamsPuppet
11-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Wow! That's amazing! What kind of fish do you have in the tank? Love the photos, Andrew!

TYVM! I have a school of Black Skirt Tetras (11 I think), all kinds of gouramis, angels fish, pictus catfish, pleco. I think that's all.

How hard is that stuff to grow? Need much light? Can if be attached to a piece o wood? That would be awesome in the Discus tank!

This was my first attempt at live plants. I bought some bulbs from Wally World and through them in the tank (which I would not recommend doing, as you have to "fish" them out if they don't start growing).

I have no CO2, minimal lighting (I have 3 outta 6 tube out to control algae) and I do not fertilize. In fact, right after I put these bulbs in the tank and they started sprouting, I had a big time bloom (added all 6 tubes) which caused me to all but black out the tank and these plants thrived! After the bloom was over, I keep my temp at 80*F and these things are growing like mad, in the area of 1/2" per day.

On a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being the hardest plants to grow, I'd give these plants a 1.

fatfutures
11-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Bulbs from Wally World? Hmmmm, I've never seen any stinking bulbs!

But, that is something I'd like to try... I think it would be nice for the Discus.

biggin
11-12-2007, 01:36 PM
We did some of those a while back, and it was a disaster.... Turned me against the live plants for a while.

You need to make sure and watch the bulbs and if they do not sprout you want to get them out pretty quick. Water quality will go done pretty quick. Might be best starting them in a different tank and move them into the Discus tank after they start.

TYVM! I have a school of Black Skirt Tetras (11 I think), all kinds of gouramis, angels fish, pictus catfish, pleco. I think that's all.

This was my first attempt at live plants. I bought some bulbs from Wally World and through them in the tank (which I would not recommend doing, as you have to "fish" them out if they don't start growing).

I have no CO2, minimal lighting (I have 3 outta 6 tube out to control algae) and I do not fertilize. In fact, right after I put these bulbs in the tank and they started sprouting, I had a big time bloom (added all 6 tubes) which caused me to all but black out the tank and these plants thrived! After the bloom was over, I keep my temp at 80*F and these things are growing like mad, in the area of 1/2" per day.

On a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being the hardest plants to grow, I'd give these plants a 1.

UncleSamsPuppet
11-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Bulbs from Wally World? Hmmmm, I've never seen any stinking bulbs!

But, that is something I'd like to try... I think it would be nice for the Discus.

It took me a while to find 'em even after someone told me where they were. They're in the fish section, in a little package that hangs on the rack. Petsmart and Petco also have them.

http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_images/7%5C7861700001B.jpg

We did some of those a while back, and it was a disaster.... Turned me against the live plants for a while.

You need to make sure and watch the bulbs and if they do not sprout you want to get them out pretty quick. Water quality will go done pretty quick. Might be best starting them in a different tank and move them into the Discus tank after they start.

:exactly:
I even thought about just having them in an open jar inside the tank or something so the non-sprouting bulbs could be found easily. Might even be able to sprout them in a mason jar on the window sill.

fatfutures
11-12-2007, 02:22 PM
I'll have to look for them! ANd, I definitely won't be tossing those bulbs in the Discus tank. I'll try to sprout em first.

Thanks guys!

biggin
11-12-2007, 02:50 PM
That is them....

Yeah a jar or something would be the way to go. They sprout quick and grow pretty quickly.

It took me a while to find 'em even after someone told me where they were. They're in the fish section, in a little package that hangs on the rack. Petsmart and Petco also have them.

http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_images/7%5C7861700001B.jpg

I even thought about just having them in an open jar inside the tank or something so the non-sprouting bulbs could be found easily. Might even be able to sprout them in a mason jar on the window sill.

EAST_TX_RN
11-12-2007, 03:05 PM
I have seen those! I am going to get me some next time I go to Wally World and try sprouting them in a jar in my window! Thanks Andrew!

bra8ndy8
11-12-2007, 03:23 PM
SO would you use water from your tank?? And put them in the window? Or how would the jar thing in the tank work Blakey???

UncleSamsPuppet
11-12-2007, 03:56 PM
VWA

Yeah, I think that package is $1.99 or so. It wasn't bad.

I would try tank water in jar on the window sill. Doing a high % water change everyday.

Jar in the tank might work too, but my idea was just to contain the bulbs some how so they're easy to get out of the tank if they don't sprout. Using a jar was just a way to allow light to the bulbs, but also keep them in one place. I guess you could put a lid with small holes in it and lay the jar on it's side. Add fish poo as plant food.

biggin
11-12-2007, 04:14 PM
If it is a big tank and the fish are not too sensitive you would be able to do them in the tank. If you had a breeder net or something like that it would work good.

Otherwise if I were going to do it again, I would just do like Andrew said and change the water out every day or every other day.

Maybe I will try this just to see how it works….

bra8ndy8
11-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Hummm .....I will have to try that!

UncleSamsPuppet
11-12-2007, 07:57 PM
24" - 25"er

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Andrew_H/fishy/11-12-07%20pics/PB120001.jpg

15" - 18"er (the leaves curl back so it looks shorter than it is)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Andrew_H/fishy/11-12-07%20pics/pb120005.jpg

Yeah, I was planning to try it myself this week some time (or at least by the end of the month).

bra8ndy8
11-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Ok are those the plants in the plastic thing at Walmart???????

greeneyed
11-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Did you place them where you wanted them when they sprouted?
Or was it more of a grow where they land thing?

biggin
11-12-2007, 08:20 PM
You can move them it is not a big deal. If you just drop them in keep track of them if they do not sprout get them out.

UncleSamsPuppet
11-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Here are the flowers above the tank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Andrew_H/fishy/11-12-07%20pics/Flowers_2.jpg

These are from the large plant, the little one's flowers look the same.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Andrew_H/fishy/11-12-07%20pics/Flowers_1.jpg

UncleSamsPuppet
11-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Ok are those the plants in the plastic thing at Walmart???????

Yeah, they started from the bulbs in the image above (post #8).

You can move them it is not a big deal. If you just drop them in keep track of them if they do not sprout get them out.

I just pushed mine into the substrate where they were when they sprouted , but when they sprout they're just sitting on top of the substrate. You can easily put them where you want them, or move them at any time.

UncleSamsPuppet
11-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Oh, I meant to say:

These are being grown in normal gravel without any other substrate and no ferts.

fatfutures
11-29-2007, 07:27 AM
OK...WTH?!?!?

I can't find these bulbs! I've looked at 3 WalMart (filling MY WalMart visit quota for 2 months) and several pet stores.

What gives?

greeneyed
11-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Weird, even my rinky dinky Wally World carries
them. They have these bulbs plus another kind, can't remember which kind off the top of my head though. Seems like I have seen them at all the walmarts I have been to???

fatfutures
11-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Weird, even my rinky dinky Wally World carries
them. They have these bulbs plus another kind, can't remember which kind off the top of my head though. Seems like I have seen them at all the walmarts I have been to???

That pretty much figures! It's WalMart's way of paying me back for my pure hatred of the place. Hate it! But, the cheapster in me requires shopping there! damnit

UncleSamsPuppet
11-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Petsmart and Petco also sell them, FYI...

fatfutures
12-21-2007, 08:18 AM
YEAH! Finally found em... at the WalMart in Mineral Wells! LOL Which, by the way, has the NICEST grocery department of any WalMart I've ever visited!

I found:
Hybrid Aponogeton
Hybrid Ulvaceus
Nymphaea

SCORE!

supersmirky
12-21-2007, 08:29 AM
I think I will pick up some of these too. Sounds easy!

greeneyed
12-21-2007, 08:56 AM
YEAH! Finally found em... at the WalMart in Mineral Wells! LOL Which, by the way, has the NICEST grocery department of any WalMart I've ever visited!

I found:
Hybrid Aponogeton
Hybrid Ulvaceus
Nymphaea

SCORE!

Glad you like our Wally World.
I live ~ 12 miles from Miserable Wells and that is where we shop.

UncleSamsPuppet
12-21-2007, 10:32 AM
:D Mineral Wells is my Home Town! Was born and raised and graduated high school there :D, lucky me :cs:

What the heck were you doing all the way out there (deer lease out that way I assume)?

Yeah, I picked up a couple of packages of the bulbs the other day (didn't look close enough to see what they were). I guess I'll see if I have luck with them again.

greeneyed
12-21-2007, 10:39 AM
You been out this way lately Andrew?
Last 2 years Mineral Wells has grown ALOT!

They are building a BIG nice stadium for the High School across from said Wal Mart.
We have a Chile's, getting a CiCi's soon. Have built around 3 strip malls around it too.
One contains a pet store, but it only dry goods :(.
Really coming along.

UncleSamsPuppet
12-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I have friends and family that still live there. I'm out there a LOT in the summer time, but it's been a while since the last time I was out there (last time they had racing out at the airport).

supersmirky
12-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Seems some pkgs have 3 or 4 and some have 5 or 6. Some are big and some are small. I guess its Russian Roulette?

jjriotgrrl
01-18-2008, 02:35 PM
i want that in my tanks! how much is it?:spend:

supersmirky
01-18-2008, 03:00 PM
If you are talking about the bulbs...they are less than $3 at walmart. They are in the fish section hanging up. Maybe even $1.94

UncleSamsPuppet
01-19-2008, 07:08 PM
I picked up a nother package of the Aponogeton crispus (3 bulbs) and some Lillies (2 bulbs), and I'll see if I can't get them to produce. I can't remember what I paid for them, but it wasn't bad. I'm thinking it was $1.99 or somewhere around there.

I guess time well tell.

I'll report back when I see some growth.

01-19-08 / into the tank

fatfutures
01-19-2008, 07:37 PM
I think the bulb packages are a crap shoot. Of my first 3 packages, I got one of the lily bulb to sprout. Saw them at my local WM and thought, what the hell, and bought one package of the Aponogeton crispus, of the 6 bulbs in that package, one has sprouted.

UncleSamsPuppet
01-19-2008, 07:59 PM
That's about the luck I had so far. Like 8 bulbs with 2 sproutting.

Maybe if everyone saves the non-sproutters we can all go in together to get them replaced? It's not worth it to me to send in 2 bulbs here and there, but if everyone that tried em saved the duds, 20 + would be worth sending em in.

fatfutures
01-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Sorry Andrew but the duds smell too bad to keep around! I made the mistake of squeezing one OMG! I almost passed out from the stench! nasty-rama!

UncleSamsPuppet
01-20-2008, 09:17 PM
I plan to plastic baggy them until I get enough to send back. I don't plan on squeezing or smelling them ;)